DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 570
1 members and 569 guests
fxc3700
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
McDonnel wants to raise speed limit in VA to 70
Unread
  (#1)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

McDonnel wants to raise speed limit in VA to 70 - January 20, 2010, 12:42 PM

That is in less populated areas on the interstate. I don't think this will change much on the roadways, but maybe the really slow drivers will go faster an keep up with the rest of traffic. Unfortunately, the law states that reckless driving is either 20 over or anything over 80, so until they change that, no going 90 legally on the highway.

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...rive-Fast.html

McDonnell Pledges to Up Speed Limit to 70
New governor pushes for 70 mph speed limit in rural areas
By ASHA BEH
Updated 12:52 PM EST, Tue, Jan 19, 2010
BUZZ UP!
TWITTER
FACEBOOK

Getty Images
Never let it be said that Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell is not a man of his word.
During his State of the Commonwealth Address before a joint session of the Virginia General Assembly in Richmond Monday, the newly inaugurated governor renewed two of his campaign pledges, including a plan to up the speed limit in Virginia.
McDonnell said the*speed limit in sparsely populated areas on I-95, I-64, I-81 and I-77 should be increased to 70 mph.
To back up his plan, he noted that 32 states already have 70*mph speed limits, and 13 have speed limits set at 75 mph.

McDonnell Promises Thousands of New Jobs
"We think we can get traffic moving a little quicker in the more sparsely populated areas of Virginia ... and do it in a way that's safe for motorists, works for law enforcement, but makes sense," McDonnell spokesperson Tucker Martin told CBS6.
Some Virginia residents, though,*weren't too happy about the*proposal, telling local news outlets that "it's crazy" or "it would be stupid" to make such a change because, "at 70 miles per hour, people will*go 90 miles per hour."
Others said it wouldn't change much on the roads.
"I don't think raising it to 70 will make any difference. I think everybody goes over 70 when they're on an interstate,"*David Alderman told WDBJ7.
McDonnell also said he plans to reopen Virginia's rest stops*this spring.
The Virginia Department of Transportation closed 18 rest areas*last July as part of a plan to cut nearly $9 million in expenses from a strained state budget.
McDonnell said*that the rest stops would be reopened within 87 days.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Popplers!

January 20, 2010, 12:46 PM

Lets make realistic limits, lets say the physical limit is 15 over every posted sign.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

January 20, 2010, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrotx View Post
Lets make realistic limits, lets say the physical limit is 15 over every posted sign.
Why? How about just making the limits more realistic and you follow what the sign says?
Unread
  (#4)
TPG og

January 20, 2010, 01:18 PM

Marylanders already go 70+ anyways
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

January 20, 2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadget View Post
Why? How about just making the limits more realistic and you follow what the sign says?
It would be too hard to enforce without some margin for error.

Im fine with ticketing at 10mph over the limit, but would rather see attention given to the people driving like assholes or inattentively.
Unread
  (#6)
T.R.I.T.D.H

January 20, 2010, 02:08 PM

ummmm......the speed limit is ALREADY 70MPH just before you enter NC on 85 in between Petersburg and NC State Line...once you get to NC it drops to 65 then 60.....

What do you value more? Life or Image?

"I don't ride, I usually just sit around wearing a tshirt and my icon back protector and talk shit about anyone who does not have a liter bike. That's how you can pick me out of a crowd. I also wear a red tophat."
Unread
  (#7)
Knee Draggin!

January 20, 2010, 02:19 PM

Cheaper tickets!!
Unread
  (#8)
I hate Hybrid drivers

January 20, 2010, 02:21 PM

I think this is over due but higher speed limits use more fuel and make going over 80 more likely, there for triggering more reckless driving by speed tickets. These tickets are probably unmerited, yet the robot like VA State Police officers don't care and will hand them out all day long.
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

January 20, 2010, 02:53 PM

Autobahn and stricter enforcement of driving rules (No loping in the left lane - use of turn signals - chit chatting on cell phone/putting on make-up)

It's about time America.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Popplers!

January 20, 2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadget View Post
That's what I was trying to say, I guess I wasn't clear.

I want a physical limit which NO ONE should pass. Make this limit much higher than the standard speed of the road.
Unread
  (#11)
Derpentine Dealer

January 20, 2010, 05:54 PM

This is a lame ploy to try to win me back. It won't work, Virginia. We're through, as I told you before. If you ever get serious about having me back, then come to me with something real, something out of the ordinary, not something I can get elsewhere pretty easily. If you come to me with something substantial like no more automatic reckless for speeds under 90 or the elimination of the uniform summons for routine traffic stops, and then we can talk. Otherwise, please do not contact me. You're only wasting your time and mine.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
Unread
  (#12)
You meet the nicest

January 20, 2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
This is a lame ploy to try to win me back. It won't work, Virginia. We're through, as I told you before. If you ever get serious about having me back, then come to me with something real, something out of the ordinary, not something I can get elsewhere pretty easily. If you come to me with something substantial like no more automatic reckless for speeds under 90 or the elimination of the uniform summons for routine traffic stops, and then we can talk. Otherwise, please do not contact me. You're only wasting your time and mine.
stick to yer guns!

BECAUSE I GET OFF ON IT!
Unread
  (#13)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

January 20, 2010, 06:19 PM

+1. I turned in my VA plates and license a few years ago, and I haven't turned back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Unread
  (#14)
Lets Ride!!!

January 20, 2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalkofDC View Post
ummmm......the speed limit is ALREADY 70MPH just before you enter NC on 85 in between Petersburg and NC State Line...once you get to NC it drops to 65 then 60.....
It's the only section road in the entire state with that speed limit. But it I agree, raising the limit to 70 won't do much but cut off about 35 dollars from your average speeding ticket because they probably won't change the over 80 is wreckless law.

Go Hokies!!!

2007 GSXR 750 Black/Midnight Blue - sold