DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 547
6 members and 541 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, nootherids, Scot, Toecutter
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
MD People: Comptroller & MVA in bed together, your Driver's License Renewal
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

MD People: Comptroller & MVA in bed together, your Driver's License Renewal - December 6, 2011, 03:28 PM

Just heard about this today. My housemate is driving on an expired license because he is making payments on a state tax liability. Apparently the MVA won't allow one to renew a DL until the tax liability is paid IN FULL. Doesn't matter if you're making payments. Has to be paid IN FULL.

These idiots here, they decide to make it even more difficult for the working class to pay the exorbitant taxes here by making it harder for them to get to and from work. Brain-dead morons running this state. Meanwhile, there are more speed cameras than ever, and I hear the fines have gone up from $40 to $75.
License Renewal Refusal due to Maryland Tax Deficiency and Unpaid Unemployment Insurance Contributions

Effective June 1, 2011, Maryland Law (House Bill 72) prohibits the Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) from renewing the driver's license, renewing a vehicle registration, or transferring a vehicle registration of an applicant who has not paid all Undisputed Taxes and/or Unemployment Insurance Contributions payable to the Comptroller or the Secretary of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation (DLLR) or provided for payment in a manner satisfactory to the unit responsible for collections.

If a customer has received a letter of noncompliance from the MVA regarding either a MD tax deficiency or unpaid Unemployment Insurance Contributions, it is because the MVA has been notified that this individual driver (business) has unpaid taxes and/or unemployment insurance contributions which will prevent the renewal of their driver's license or vehicle registration or transferring a vehicle registration until they have satisfied their debts/obligations.

This includes both noncommercial renewals and correction renewals as well as commercial license renewals.

The MVA does NOT accept payment for taxes or unemployment contributions.

To resolve an outstanding Tax Obligation:

The driver may make payment in full by going online at the Comptroller's website Spotlight on Maryland. Click ""Online Services" to see all of the online options available to pay outstanding individual or business taxes. If the driver cannot pay the debt in full, they may contact the Comptroller via e-mail at mvahold@comp.state.md.us or by phone to discuss payment options. For individual income tax liabilities, call the Comptroller's Office toll free at 855-213-6669 or for business tax liabilities call 410-649-0633.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

December 6, 2011, 03:33 PM

This has been going on in Virginia for a while, only difference is if you owe taxes instead of them not letting you renew your licence they wont let you renew your registration. Thus why my SV has been sitting now for 5 months. Ridiculous!
Unread
  (#3)
GP Champ

December 6, 2011, 03:43 PM

And let me be the one to point out it's not a RIGHT to drive a car or have a driver's license, it's a privilege. When you are a responsible adult and pay your taxes ( or pay up child support, not have a DUI) then you're able to be able to have this privilege. For the majority out there, there are other means to get to your job. It might take you an extra hour, etc but I guess if you were responsible, then you wouldn't be in the mess in the first place.

Sorry about your housemate and all, but I do think people seem to always forget that you have no right to drive a vehicle.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

December 6, 2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellraiserinDC View Post
And let me be the one to point out it's not a RIGHT to drive a car or have a driver's license, it's a privilege. When you are a responsible adult and pay your taxes ( or pay up child support, not have a DUI) then you're able to be able to have this privilege. For the majority out there, there are other means to get to your job. It might take you an extra hour, etc but I guess if you were responsible, then you wouldn't be in the mess in the first place.

Sorry about your housemate and all, but I do think people seem to always forget that you have no right to drive a vehicle.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Discord - camelhumps#7702
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

December 6, 2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellraiserinDC View Post

Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

December 6, 2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherids View Post

Also its not being irresponsible as much as it is that I didnt have the money to pay for the stupid ass tax! Really why the fuck do I have to pay the state to own property that I worked for and paid for? Then you tell me that because I am making payments and cant pay the ridiculous amount in one payment that I am not allowed to make a living? FUCK ALL THAT.

Also to your point about other ways to get to work? My work is mobile, I drive to other peoples houses, work, etc to do my job. How exactly am I supposed to get around without being allowed to drive my car or motorcycle?
Unread
  (#7)
TPG og

December 6, 2011, 04:10 PM

Please comrade, don't forget that Supreme Leader OweMalley knows what's best for you. He is from Potomac and they can afford to pay, why not you?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

December 6, 2011, 04:31 PM

Fuck it. It's like they want you to drive dirty.
I can understand someone who is grossly behind on their child support or grossly behind on their taxes.

But in an economic recession when a vast majority of people are struggling to keep their heads above water, they want to indiscriminately strip people of their right to drive.

That's absolutely foolish at best, abhorrent when applied without prejudice.

The ONE redeeming feature of Maryland's Constitution though is that laws and acts can be RESCINDED with immediate effect with a popular referendum vote regardless of what the Maryland Senate has passed or Governor has signed into law.

It only takes a petition with signatures equaling 3% of the population who voted in the last MD Gubenetorial election to get it put on the floor.

Maryland Constitution - Article XVI - Referendum
SECTION 1. (a) The people reserve to themselves power known as The Referendum, by petition to have submitted to the registered voters of the State, to approve or reject at the polls, any Act, or part of any Act of the General Assembly, if approved by the Governor, or, if passed by the General Assembly over the veto of the Governor;

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

December 6, 2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
Then you tell me that because I am making payments and cant pay the ridiculous amount in one payment that I am not allowed to make a living? FUCK ALL THAT.

My work is mobile, I drive to other peoples houses, work, etc to do my job. How exactly am I supposed to get around without being allowed to drive my car or motorcycle?
"No fucks given. Take a bus. Hahahahaha."

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

Unread
  (#10)
Jeez If You Love Honkus

December 6, 2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Just heard about this today.
Yeah, I was in line at the MVA last week to turn in some tags and a couple people in front of me got hit with that.

They were not pleased - especially after having stood in that long-ass line.
Unread
  (#11)
unapologetic

December 6, 2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Fuck it. It's like they want you to drive dirty.
I can understand someone who is grossly behind on their child support or grossly behind on their taxes.

But in an economic recession when a vast majority of people are struggling to keep their heads above water, they want to indiscriminately strip people of their right to drive.

That's absolutely foolish at best, abhorrent when applied without prejudice.
After you remember that driving is a privilege and not a right, that's a pretty accurate statement. And once you owe, it's sometimes tough to get out from under that rock. Almost sounds like it was planned that way, hmm?

"ride on #47, ride on"

on the internet you can be anyone you want, it's strange that so many people choose to be so stupid

Last edited by Hollywood; December 6, 2011 at 05:05 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
The last urrbendah

December 6, 2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist

"No fucks given. Take a bus. Hahahahaha."

All of this is impossible. Nothing sketchy or unfair ever happens in Maryland.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#13)
Your Ad Here

December 6, 2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
After you remember that driving is a privilege and not a right, that's a pretty accurate statement. And once you owe, it's sometimes tough to get out from under that rock. Almost sounds like it was planned that way, hmm?
And that's the problem. When you start heaping on the penalties and fees, things can get out of control.

I've been fortunately enough to only get caught in tax hole twice and for relatively small amounts, but I've seen how others who have owned their own businesses for instance, have gotten reamed and re-reamed by an audit call from 4 years ago and suddenly the state said they owed $x,xxx in taxes then immediately compounded 3 years interest and penalties taking this up to $xx,xxx.

It took them 2 years to get caught up and set the account straight. Imagine if the state took their license. It would have destroyed them.

Unread
  (#14)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

December 6, 2011, 07:31 PM

I have been a MD resident all my life. I now plan to leave MD. Why.....

* MD is one of the worst states to operate a business in from a tax climate perspective. Out of 50 states, MD has been rated (1=best, 50=worst):

2011 (#44), 2010(#45), 2009(#45), 2008(#47), 2007 (#24) & 2006 (#25)

VA rated:
2011 (#12), 2010(#15), 2009(#15), 2008(#15), 2007 (#14) & 2006 (#17)

Note that Martin O'Malley was elected Gov in Jan 2007. Things have moved very much downhill from there. Data from....

The Tax Foundation - State Business Tax Climate Index Rankings, 2006 - 2011

* MD carries a very high debt per person ratio (14th highest out of the 50 states).

* The state & individual counties are taking any means they can to extract/extort $$ from the residents via speed cameras, beer tax, property taxes, increased income taxes, a ridiculously high toll on the ICC, etc.

* My taxes continue to rise and I get nothing in return.

* Too much concern for the welfare of illegal immigrants, which the residents ultimately end up paying for.

* State & County employees need to pay for their own retirement. Why should taxpayers pay for the pensions of state & county employees? The state & county employees don't contribute to my retirement. Give them a fair wage and remove that liability from the tax base. I would like to see that applied to federal employees across the board too.

As bad as VA is, its looking a lot better than MD. The direction the liberals have taken the state of MD does not look promising. So the state is now sapping every resident & business however they can.

Last edited by morsetaper2; December 6, 2011 at 08:40 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
What are we doing here???

December 6, 2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
This has been going on in Virginia for a while, only difference is if you owe taxes instead of them not letting you renew your licence they wont let you renew your registration........
Yup! I know from experience.

Beauty and The Beast

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.