DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 491
1 members and 490 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Messing with shutter/Aperture settings pix 9-28-06
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Messing with shutter/Aperture settings pix 9-28-06 - October 2, 2006, 09:25 AM

Eh, I think the headlight/tail light pix are cool.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury

Last edited by spud; October 2, 2006 at 09:44 AM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Full spin ahead.

October 2, 2006, 09:35 AM

Awesome pics! Is the lense flare on the top of some of the head/tail light pictures from a street light? Which camera were these taken with?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#3)
Warming up the tires

October 2, 2006, 09:36 AM

Get a flash and try some pictures with second curtain shutter sync. You will get a noce pictur eof the moving vehicles with the lights trailing back. Great for motion effects!

naked blue 2003 SV1000
red 2014 Honda Interceptor - VFR 800

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to bike4fun  
Unread
  (#4)
Site ADMIN

October 2, 2006, 09:39 AM

Cameara is a Nikon D80 with the Nikon 17 - 300mm lens.

have no idea how to adjust second curtain shutter sync..

The flare is from the streetlight above my truck.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

October 2, 2006, 09:45 AM

oops, i lied. I messed with the aperture settings to get the light affects you see.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#6)
Warming up the tires

October 2, 2006, 10:10 AM

I checked the nikon site. The camera does support slow shutter sync on 1st or 2nd curtain.

Normally you use a (somewhat) fast shutter speed with a flash. The shutter stays open long enough for the flash to illuminate the desired object.

Slow shutter sync with flash means the shutter stays open longer (like in your time-elapsed pictures). You make a lot of the exposure using the ambiant light, then the flash gives a bright illumination at a single point in the picture.

1st curtain sync means the flash goes off, and the shutter stays open after the flash to pick up the ambiant light. For your car pictures, this would illuminate the car, then allow the picture further exposure and the car moved forward. So it would make it look like the cars were moving backwars sing the lights would move forward after the flash.

2nd curtain sync means the flash goes off at the end of the exposure. The long exposure picks up the moving lights, then the flash at the end give the stopped picture of the vehicle.

The details should be in the manual (someplace). It may take a while to figure out. Doing it means you are getting into the more difficult creative side. At least from the equipment perspective (rather than the composure perspective).

Either way, the pictures so far look great.

Oh, you originally mention the rule of thirds. Simply put, when you focus on a point, 1/3 of your depth of field is in front of teh focus point and 2/3 is behind. Use that knowledge with your apeture to control what is in focus.

naked blue 2003 SV1000

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
Unread
  (#7)
Site ADMIN

October 2, 2006, 11:07 AM

I was 'trying' that rule by putting the truck on the left. I manually focused on the truck since the autofocus wouldnt stay on it.

Some of them i was just dang happy that the lighting affect was working and i forgot about the rule of 3rds...

ok i remember reading about the flash at the end of the exposure. i was going to look at tacklin that soon too.. Again just happy the trailing lights pix came out...

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#8)
Got my Permit

October 2, 2006, 11:33 AM

Nice shots man! They're pretty damn cool to look at for someone who doesn't know anything about photography!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to BadAssMother4000 Send a message via Skype™ to BadAssMother4000 
Unread
  (#9)
Addicted to Cajen food...

October 2, 2006, 11:38 AM

I hope there's atleast one man living in your house Alex...
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

October 2, 2006, 12:10 PM

WTF? Bitch! Just cause you cause your fem side is taken up by all your homo tendencies.

fag!

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#11)
Warming up the tires

October 2, 2006, 12:54 PM

If you find the D80 is not enough of a camera, try one of these.

http://www.hasselblad.com/products/h-system/h3d.aspx

naked blue 2003 SV1000

Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

October 2, 2006, 01:02 PM

haha.. not enough. I still get afraid moving past the P setting. but ok.

Dang that cam is pimp.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

October 2, 2006, 01:42 PM

Here are some fireworks pictures from last 4th.

Kodak EasyShare Z740 5MP 10x Optical Zoom

'00 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6-R
'03 Honda XR100R
Xbox: ThrustinJ

Last edited by ThrustinJZX6; October 2, 2006 at 01:44 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ThrustinJZX6  
Unread
  (#14)
Site ADMIN

October 2, 2006, 03:12 PM

ok hold the f'en phone. This dude is my hero. He makes the best HOW-TO's ever.

Brooks!

http://kenrockwell.com/index.htm

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#15)
www.got-one.com

October 2, 2006, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike4fun99
If you find the D80 is not enough of a camera, try one of these.

http://www.hasselblad.com/products/h-system/h3d.aspx
Qute little camera when your done with that step up to 470 megapixels !

http://www.roundshot.ch/xml_1/internet/de/intro.cfm

Your Signature:

Last edited by gotone; October 2, 2006 at 05:30 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to gotone