DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 192
1 members and 191 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Michael Vick indicted for Dog Fighting
Unread
  (#1)
Site Owner

Michael Vick indicted for Dog Fighting - July 18, 2007, 08:40 AM

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/07/17/vick/index.html

Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick faces criminal charges and a possible prison sentence for allegedly participating in an enterprise that trained pit bulls for death matches in which spectators bet on the outcome, federal prosecutors announced Tuesday.

Authorities search property in Smithfield, Virginia, owned by Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick.

Vick, 27, and three associates were indicted by a federal grand jury in Richmond, Virginia, on a conspiracy count alleging they bought and sponsored dogs in an animal fighting venture and traveled across state lines to participate in illegal activity, including gambling.

According to the indictment, dogs that didn't show enough fighting spirit, or that lost matches, were put to death by a variety of methods, including shooting, drowning, hanging and electrocution. Prosecutors allege that on one occasion earlier this year, Vick participated in killing eight dogs.
A National Football League spokesman said the allegations against Vick would be reviewed under the NFL's personal conduct policy.

"We are disappointed that Michael Vick has put himself in a position where a federal grand jury has returned an indictment against him," said spokesman Brian McCarthy. "We will continue to closely monitor developments in this case and to cooperate with law enforcement authorities."

If convicted of both portions of the conspiracy charge, Vick could face six years in prison and a $350,000 fine, according to a statement from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.

No arrest warrants have been issued, and Vick and the other defendants -- Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach, Virginia; Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta, Georgia; and Tony Taylor, 34, of Hampton, Virginia -- have not been taken into custody, said Jim Rybicki, a spokesman for U.S. Attorney Chuck Rosenberg.

A judge is expected to inform Vick and the others of the charges against them Wednesday and make arrangements for them to turn themselves in, Rybicki said.

Vick, a standout at Virginia Tech who was the first player chosen in the 2001 NFL draft, is one of pro football's highest-profile and highest paid players. In 2004, he signed a 10-year, $130 million contract with the Falcons.

The dogfighting investigation began in April, when authorities found 54 pit bulls on property Vick owns in Smithfield, Virginia, about 30 miles west of the Norfolk area where he grew up.

There was no immediate comment from Vick on the indictment. He had previously said that while he had a kennel operation on the property, he had no involvement in, or knowledge of, a dogfighting ring.

But the indictment issued Tuesday charges Vick was intimately involved in the operation, known as "Bad Newz Kennels," and that he bought the Smithfield property for $34,000 for the purpose of going into business with Peace, Phillips and Taylor.

Between 2001 and April 2007, Vick and his associates bought and trained pit bulls and hosted dogfights at the property, and dogs were also taken to locations in at least six other states to participate in fights, prosecutors said.

The owners of the winning dogs collected purses that ran into the thousands of dollars, and spectators also placed side bets on the outcome, prosecutors said. After one of the "Bad Newz" dogs lost a fight in March 2003, Vick personally paid $23,000 to the winning dog's owner, who is now a cooperating witness for the prosecution, the indictment said.
According to the indictment, an unidentified associate from Bad Newz Kennels admonished another participant at a dogfight who yelled out Vick's name during an event in the fall of 2003 -- a participant who is also now cooperating with prosecutors.

The indictment also alleges that Vick and his associates "rolled" some of their dogs -- testing them in short fights to determine how well they might fight. Dogs that failed the test were killed, prosecutors said.

While most of the dog killings noted in the indictment were allegedly carried out by the other defendants, Vick himself participated in the killings of eight dogs in April, according to the indictment. The animals were killed "by various methods, including hanging, drowning and slamming at least one dog's body to the ground," the indictment said

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#2)
Ride the Metal Monster

July 18, 2007, 08:42 AM

We all know his brother was a moron...and now this?

Mrs. Vick must be reaaaally upset with her boys.

2005 Ninja 500R - Sold!
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - Hulk Smashed!
2008 Honda CBR 600RR - Cloned. Better. Faster. Stronger.

Res ipsa loquitur. Let the good times roll.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dodeskjeggen  
Unread
  (#3)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

July 18, 2007, 08:50 AM

What a freaking moron!!!! All that talent as a QB and he still needs to screw his life up with stupidity.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Site Owner

July 18, 2007, 08:50 AM

It just amazes me that someone with that good of a thing going life and careerwise would throw it all away doing illegal shit. Wonder what job skills he has that he will fall onto after he gets out of federal jail in 7 years.

It's like the senior college players that have bright futures and blow it all by doing stupid shit in college like stealing car stereos.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#5)
Warming up the tires

July 18, 2007, 09:00 AM

I see a new reality show in the works.

Michael Vick - The real longest yard!

naked blue 2003 SV1000
red 2014 Honda Interceptor - VFR 800

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Albert Einstein
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to bike4fun  
Unread
  (#6)
No! You!

July 18, 2007, 09:02 AM

They should do to him what he did to those eight dogs. IMHO.

Miami Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bexxx
I slapped him in the forehead for being vulgar (I'm a lady, dammit).
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
TEAM.SUKUZI

July 18, 2007, 09:05 AM

he should have just stuck to cock fighting...and heard he still is the herpes champ.

sex addict