DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 163
4 members and 159 guests
BigDaddyShoo, GRN96WS6, nootherids, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
microsoft "surface" tablet/laptop combo
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

microsoft "surface" tablet/laptop combo - June 19, 2012, 12:40 PM

ivy bridge processor.
tablet cover that flips to a full keyboard/trackpad
using windows 8 metro, can do full scale PC work.

lacking apps obviously.

discuss...

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

June 19, 2012, 12:41 PM

Not much different then my Samsung Series 7 Slate (Sandy vs. Ivy though) and the weird cover/keyboard that they have as well.

I like windows based slates though, super easy and convenient to use.

-Ryan
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
in Yamaland

June 19, 2012, 12:52 PM

The keynote was over at 7:45pm... At 8pm I was at Best Buy picking up a Logitech Ultrathin keyboard/cover for my iPad.

The integrated cover/keyboard seems like a neat idea, but once again... it's not an iPad killer.

Any guesses on the cost of the Pro model? lol
Unread
  (#4)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

June 19, 2012, 12:54 PM

The new "Surface" shares some APIs with the old one. The new one obv will be on Win 8/Metro, but a lot of the cool shit about the old surface will be available on this one.

The project I work on has a surface we've used for development. There's some very cool shit that can be done with it.

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#5)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

June 19, 2012, 12:55 PM

I wouldn't consider any 'slate' an ipad killer since they both operate differently.

But, in the realm of flexibility, my slate has more compared to my ipad.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#6)
I'm a llama again!

June 19, 2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I wouldn't consider any 'slate' an ipad killer since they both operate differently.

But, in the realm of flexibility, my slate has more compared to my ipad.
I agree with this. I am looking at the Surface as more of a laptop replacement that has killer battery life. I want to also play some games and watch netflix.
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

June 19, 2012, 01:03 PM

I'll remain on the sidelines.
MSFT is not known for spectacular hardware and given the latest tablet come lately failures (HP & RIM), I think this to be one of those markets were if you're not already in - you're too late.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
I came I saw I shat mysef

June 19, 2012, 01:50 PM

ya, maybe I just don't use my pad enough.. I have a generic android pad and all I use it for is reading books and the occasional angry birds of equiv shit.. Netflix or Hulu to a TV on the hdmi port it has is useful when I'm away from home..

-john
wera, ccs - novice # 979 - sv650
Aprilia Falco (sold), Gs500 (sold), KTM300 (sold)

"I'll believe corporations are people when Texas executes one of them."

Separation of Corp. And State!

R.I.P Alex Lyskawa - My heart will never heal from your passing.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to jron  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

June 19, 2012, 03:01 PM

I don't really understand the market for tablets. It's basically, a really, really, really crappy laptop on which you can't really do much aside from browsing the web. I think the biggest reason why people are buying them right now is novelty value.

In time, laptops will take away the best features of tablets, and tablets will disappear, just like PDAs got killed off by cell phones. This design is probably the first basic iteration of such device convergence.

Given Microsoft's track record, this tablet is probably 25% better specs, 25% more features, but somehow when push comes to shove, the user experience sucks.

Last edited by Witold; June 19, 2012 at 03:38 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

June 19, 2012, 03:08 PM

I use it every day. Don't need a laptop for the stuff I use it for.

Innernet, email, books, news feeds. , and some apps. Lots and lots of use.

My kids love the education apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#11)
SRWJTS Media and Safety

June 19, 2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
I use it every day. Don't need a laptop for the stuff I use it for.

Innernet, email, books, news feeds. , and some apps. Lots and lots of use.

My kids love the education apps.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
This

I think tablets have settled in nicely to their place in the market and with how well the iPad sells, I can't see them going anywhere any time soon.

If you want to fuck around on the web or play games, grab a tablet.

If you want to do some actual work while staying mobile, grab a laptop.

'04 F4i - Sold
'12 ZX6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nard Dog
I wish there was a way to know you're in the good ol' days, before you've actually left them

Discord - camelhumps#7702
Unread
  (#12)
in Yamaland

June 19, 2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
I don't really understand the market for tablets. It's basically, a really, really, really crappy laptop on which you can't really do much aside from browsing the web. I think the biggest reason why people are buying them right now is novelty value.

In time, laptops will take away the best features of tablets, and tablets will disappear, just like PDAs got killed off by cell phones. This design is probably the first basic iteration of such device convergence.

Given Microsoft's track record, this tablet is probably 25% better specs, 25% more features, but somehow when push comes to shove, the user experience sucks.
You really need to do more research on tablets that are available today.

I use my tablet daily... so much so that I no longer have a laptop.

My iPad will do 90% of the stuff I use my computer for... but in a much more mobile and convenient way.

If anything... tablets will get more efficient and laptops will go away.... especially with more compact keyboards coming along.
Unread
  (#13)
GP Champ

June 19, 2012, 04:32 PM

I realize that most people don't do much on their computer aside from pron and motorcycle forums, but it seems like it would be a miserable experience trying to get anything done in excel, writing a school paper, or playing in photoshop.

Of course I also don't have a tablet and never even tried one.

For those that have them, do you find yourself longing for a laptop when you actually need to do something specific? Or is tablet experience adequate enough not to be painful?
Unread
  (#14)
SRWJTS Recruiter

June 19, 2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danrivito View Post
If anything... tablets will get more efficient and laptops will go away.... especially with more compact keyboards coming along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
For those that have them, do you find yourself longing for a laptop when you actually need to do something specific? Or is tablet experience adequate enough not to be painful?
Tablets will NEVER replace laptops. People said desktops were going bye-bye as a result of the surge of laptops. 15ish years later desktop/all-in-one PCs are still here.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#15)
Site Owner

June 19, 2012, 04:53 PM

If you are a mobile power user, no way an iPad or tablet will suffice.

I cannot imagine coding/compiling apps on a tablet.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper