DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 507
1 members and 506 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Minneapolis Bridge Collapse Disaster
Unread
  (#1)
subUrban Warrior

Minneapolis Bridge Collapse Disaster - August 1, 2007, 08:47 PM

50 cars plunged into the Mississippi River. No one knows how many deaths. The video looks like a movie set. Unreal tragedy.

Bridge Falls Into Mississippi River

Aug 1 09:25 PM US/Eastern
By PATRICK CONDON
Associated Press Writer

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - The entire span of an interstate bridge collapsed into the Mississippi River during evening rush hour Wednesday, sending vehicles, tons of concrete and twisted metal crashing into the water.
The Interstate 35W bridge, which stretches between Minneapolis and St. Paul, was in the midst of being repaired when it broke into several huge sections.

The Homeland Security Department had received no indications Wednesday night that the collapse was related to an act of terrorism, department spokesman Russ Knocke said in Washington.

"At this time, there's no indication of a nexus to terrorism," Knocke said.

It was not clear how many people were injured. WCCO-AM reported that one body was seen being pulled from the area, covered with a blue sheet.

An estimated 50 vehicles plunged into the water and onto the land below, the Star-Tribune reported.

A burning truck and a school bus clung to one slanted slab, while at least eight cars and a truck were submerged in the river.

The bus had just crossed the bridge before it crumpled into pieces, and broadcast reports indicated the children on the bus exited out the back door.

Ramon Houge told the St. Paul Pioneer Press that he was on his way home from work on the bridge when he heard a rumbling noise, saw the ground collapse and cars go down.

Traffic was bumper to bumper and hundreds of people would have been involved, he said. He said cars backed up as best they could and he parked in a construction zone and was finally able to turn around and drive off the bridge. "It didn't seem like it was real," he said.

Dozens of vehicles were scattered and stacked on top of each other amid the rubble. Some people were stranded on parts of the bridge that aren't completely in the water.

Local television stations captured video of injured people being carried up the riverbank. There was no official word on injuries, but dozens of rescue vehicles were there. Divers were also in the water.

Gregory Wernick Sr., Rockford, Ill., drove over the bridge shortly before the collapse. He stopped to get a drink nearby and heard commotion so he went back.

"I figure I crossed about 10 minutes before it happened," he said. "That's just too close to call."

He was standing about 200 feet away on top of a parking ramp with large group of people.

"I've never seen anything like this," he said.

The arched bridge, which was built in 1967, rises about 64 feet above the river. Workers have been repairing the 40-year-old bridge's surface as part of improvements along that stretch of the interstate, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported on its Web site.

"I banged so many chicks last year my iPhone address book broke" - overheard at a Dover, DE bar

Last edited by Newzpix; August 1, 2007 at 08:53 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I just peed a little

August 1, 2007, 08:53 PM

My brother was supposed to move to Minneapolis but I can never keep track of where he's living (he's a pilot) and I don't get to talk to him very often...but I got a text back from him: "I'm in Montreal right now, where I have not been near a bridge all week" So yay. No worries there. But what a tragedy. Have you seen the video of them pulling people out of the river? Doesn't even look real.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Monkey Send a message via AIM to Monkey Send a message via Skype™ to Monkey 
Unread
  (#3)
Groundhogs can play dead

August 1, 2007, 08:58 PM

Holy crap!

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
God Made Me Wrong

August 1, 2007, 09:07 PM

OMG...so scary and sad.

"Always question those who are certain of what they are saying." - Elie Wiesel

When the time comes to leave, just walk away quietly and don't make any fuss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch
Why does SnoopDogg carry an umbrella?...Fo' drizzle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper
Stop putting shit in my papusa!
When people I don't even know don't like me, I figure I'm doing something right.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bexxx Send a message via AIM to Bexxx  
Unread
  (#5)
PewPew

August 1, 2007, 09:15 PM

best wishes to those involved and their families...

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#6)
Curiouser and curiouser

August 1, 2007, 09:29 PM

I just spoke with my ex who works in highway safety. He said that there is widespread concern about the safety of the interstate bridges across the country, and the lack of funding to repair them. We should see a huge reaction (shifting of funds) from this disaster, and lots of second guessing about why the money wasn't already allocated. He was surprised that this happened in MN though, as he said that its DOT is one of the better supported ones in the nation.

Last edited by CrabbyJay; August 1, 2007 at 10:59 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
Lurking

August 1, 2007, 10:47 PM

Scary stuff.

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa  
Unread
  (#8)
Owner & Creator

August 1, 2007, 10:49 PM

where is the video
Unread
  (#9)
Track Ho

August 1, 2007, 11:08 PM

the Tappan Zee bridge in New York is gonna fall into the Hudson in 10 years too

its cause all these fuckheads in the 60's, 70's wanted to make all these fracture critical truss structures and now they are falling apart from corrosion

I would be curious to see if this was in a seismic area, I bet it was just corrosion over the years, rush hour traffic, too much load on the chords with holes in them

Every bridge in the country is inspected with PONTIS requirements every two years, in the last 5 years they have really been trying to get the inspections done faster, less hours, means less time on the bridge so you find less, New York is horrible, MD is ok, Florida is pretty good. Virginia is pretty good particularly this area, I have personally inspected almost every bridge on the beltway and 395 and the ones on 95 all the way to Quantico and VDOT was pretty good at fixing my high priority recomendations usually next day

the bridges I designed in the Springfield interchange will never fall down

so sleep good tonight hokie is lookin out for ya lol

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"

Last edited by r6hokie; August 1, 2007 at 11:11 PM..
Security Cam Video of Bridge Collapsing + General Views
Unread
  (#10)
subUrban Warrior

Security Cam Video of Bridge Collapsing + General Views - August 1, 2007, 11:16 PM

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=1ab_1186054443

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=658_1186027935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage R1
where is the video

"I banged so many chicks last year my iPhone address book broke" - overheard at a Dover, DE bar

Last edited by Newzpix; August 2, 2007 at 09:04 AM..
Unread
  (#11)
Resident Rodent

August 2, 2007, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r6hokie
the Tappan Zee bridge in New York is gonna fall into the Hudson in 10 years too

its cause all these fuckheads in the 60's, 70's wanted to make all these fracture critical truss structures and now they are falling apart from corrosion

I would be curious to see if this was in a seismic area, I bet it was just corrosion over the years, rush hour traffic, too much load on the chords with holes in them

Every bridge in the country is inspected with PONTIS requirements every two years, in the last 5 years they have really been trying to get the inspections done faster, less hours, means less time on the bridge so you find less, New York is horrible, MD is ok, Florida is pretty good. Virginia is pretty good particularly this area, I have personally inspected almost every bridge on the beltway and 395 and the ones on 95 all the way to Quantico and VDOT was pretty good at fixing my high priority recomendations usually next day

the bridges I designed in the Springfield interchange will never fall down

so sleep good tonight hokie is lookin out for ya lol

Hokie,

This bridge in NY is about 6 miles from my house on I-90 in '87 it did collapse. Looks real similar to the Minnesota incident.

http://www.iti.northwestern.edu/tech...ml/slide6.html

- Rat

"Ride to the sound of the guns."

http://www.magicratproductions.com
Unread
  (#12)
Far from a rookie!!!!!

August 2, 2007, 06:46 AM

DAM man it's one Disaster after another hope and prayers go out to the families

James

Joe Rocket Whore

Why your man acting like secret service??? I'm going to get you alone and get my secret serviced!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boogie_gsxr26 Send a message via AIM to boogie_gsxr26  
Unread
  (#13)
Owner & Creator

August 2, 2007, 07:02 AM

HOKIE IS A MASTER BRIDGE EARTH ENGINEERING! Don't mess with him and his bridges.

Someone quote him, so we can say, this guy said on this date, this bridge was going to collapse.
Unread
  (#14)
Track Ho

August 2, 2007, 07:08 AM

cool thanks magic rat, there was a lot to read on scour there

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#15)
Face Down @$$ UP

August 2, 2007, 07:12 AM

Video here...
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/....side.view.cnn

"If brains were gas. You wouldnt have enough gas, to drive a piss-ants' motorcycle, half-way around a BB."
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to WvGoDFather Send a message via MSN to WvGoDFather