DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 518
2 members and 516 guests
Heist, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Mo Money or no stress job?
Unread
  (#1)
Silence... I keeeel you

Mo Money or no stress job? - April 11, 2006, 05:26 PM

OK I figured I'd run this by people and see what they thought. I just started a new job about 3 weeks ago. It's a good job with low stress levels. It's 3 miles from my house and has decent benifets. The boss is cool and the workload is nice (not swamped but busy enough to make the day go by quick) I also get 4 10 hour days. I took about a 5k pay cut to get out of field service and leave the stress behind. Now here is my question.

I was just offered a position with a different company. The pay is substantially higher (30k more than I make now). It does require travel but I would be flying to locations for 2 days (monday and tuesday) then working from the home office Wednesday and Thursday while dealing with local custmers. I'd be off on Fridays. The complaint I had with my last job is I was in the car 6-8 hours a day M-F. With this I would be in the car just Wednesday and Thursday. I would be out of town every Monday night and sometimes Tuesday night. I'm not sure of the stress level yet.

So I guess the question boils down to...would you leave a low stress job that you don't mind doing for 30k more a year? Not knowing how stresfull the new job is going to be?

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Spike

April 11, 2006, 05:50 PM

My opinion is if you need the money, take the job. If you don't, stay with the stress free job and love life a little more.

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#3)
Asphalt, its what it is

April 11, 2006, 06:26 PM

I know how you feel, I recently left a relativly low stress job for a more stressful one ( atleast thats what i was told ) I walked into much better deal and more money. The payoff was worth it, the stress level is elevated but I really dont even care, I'm havein too much fun with the extra money to worry about the lncreased stress. I say go for it if you believe its worth it in the long run. My .02
Unread
  (#4)
noise

April 11, 2006, 09:30 PM

Quality of life is what you'll be basing your final decision... that is what it all boils down to in the end.

"Love is love and family is what is around you and who is in your immediate sphere."
Unread
  (#5)
IrightI

April 11, 2006, 09:31 PM

How old are you? If you're younger <35, take the extra 30k and roll, start some good savings for the future. If you're older and doing fairly well and don't need the money - fukk it - chill.

06 R6 Raven
03 R6 Track
Unread
  (#6)
Groundhogs can play dead

April 11, 2006, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13
I was just offered a position with a different company. The pay is substantially higher (30k more than I make now). It does require travel but I would be flying to locations for 2 days (monday and tuesday) then working from the home office Wednesday and Thursday while dealing with local custmers. I'd be off on Fridays. The complaint I had with my last job is I was in the car 6-8 hours a day M-F. With this I would be in the car just Wednesday and Thursday. I would be out of town every Monday night and sometimes Tuesday night. I'm not sure of the stress level yet.
Travel is stressful. Stressful on the body and mind, not to mention hours sitting in airports due to delayed flights. Do you have a family here waiting for you? That may be a priority for you. It seems like 30K isn't that high of a priority to you right now. If you'd be working from home, how would you be in the car Wednesdays and Thursdays? It may not be bad, but the $30K is paying for something (stress and time away from home, maybe?). I'm kind of facing a similar debate but I'm not doing too good of a job making a decision, either.
Sounds like you have it made where you are and you're happy. The grass is always greener on the other side, and there will always be someone with a higher paying job to offer, a faster car, etc. If you're happy where you are, enjoy it for now. If 30K is important, take the job, KNOWING that travelling (car or plane) is in itself stressful, but remembering that that's what they're paying you for.
Good luck to you... this doesn't sound like an easy decision. Here are some theories, which one makes the most sense to you:

The grass is always greener on the other side
Life is about taking chances
You won't know unless you try something
Screw it, do it
If you're happy and warm [where you are], keep your mouth shut
Life is about living, not about making money...
(ok, I'm digging now, I'll quit)

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Retired to most ...

April 12, 2006, 06:23 AM

Dude it's 30K more. If you got no family (single) then jump on it. You get to travel and make a bunch more money!!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#8)
Repping WPNR is Tennessee

Location: GOOD OL' ROCKY TOP...ROCKY TOP TENNESSEE...GO VOLS!!!!!!!!
April 12, 2006, 06:39 AM

+10000000000
On what Johnny said......but also depends on whether or not you have a family

RIP...Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg WE MISS YOU BUDDY!!!

WulfPakRydaz- Strength in Numbers

Cause thats how we roll......
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to PimpD  
Unread
  (#9)
whoa preppy......

April 12, 2006, 06:42 AM

You can't buy sanity.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Railing!

April 12, 2006, 07:48 AM

My opinion is exactly what johnnyspeed said, however, if what you're doing now is what you really want to be doing, ie your dreamjob, then screw the money. But if it's just a job that has low stress level, then take the money, work hard now so that you can work less when you have a family. If you're still gonna have your three day weekends, it would be worth the extra 30k.

2005 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JDogg5