DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 528
3 members and 525 guests
fxc3700, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Montgomery Co quietly ditches holiday names rather than add Muslim holidays
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

Montgomery Co quietly ditches holiday names rather than add Muslim holidays - November 15, 2014, 05:22 PM

Holidays’ names stricken from next year’s Montgomery schools calendar - The Washington Post

"Students who miss classes on religious holidays are given excused absences. But Muslim families have argued that students should not have to choose between their faith and their schoolwork and that missing even a day leaves many students behind. They say the day off is a matter of equity, with Christian and Jewish students getting days off for their holidays."

Thoughts? I think it's inevitable that all public calendars will strip holiday names down to their most secular forms.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Meh

November 15, 2014, 06:00 PM

These items should be governed on a local level. If you have a majority Muslim population and you want to take those days off, so be it.
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

November 16, 2014, 06:16 AM

School districts make the determination whether to or not to be in session based on the majority religious observances of the district.

The only reason why C & J holidays were on the calendar was because the district could expect 30 - 70% of the student body to be absent.

It's not a factor of preferring one religion over another, or showing bias for the sake of exclusion , it's about economics - specifically the allocation of tax dollars and resources to run a facility.

I would never want my tax dollars staffing and running a school on days when I [we] know the student body would be less than 50%.

One can easily estimate that a medium sized school of 1,000 students takes ~$25,000 a day to run between staff salaries, facilities GS & A expenses, bus service. Multiply that times N number of schools in district and it easily surpasses a few hundred thousand - to teach a bunch of empty chairs.

That's an unintelligent fiscal decision and abandonment of fiduciary responsibility.

While I understand the Muslim's position, unless they became the majority or the majority minority in a district, I would not want their religious holidays added to the off session calendar.

A day or two is not going to keep their kid from getting into college nor set them so far behind that they'll never be able to catch up.

Most teachers now - especially in affluent and well off districts & counties - treat primary education like college and have syllabi, lesson plans, and materials all available online. There is really no reason why they ought to fall behind if only out for a few days in total.

Not to mention what sort of floodgate would that open? Mont Co. has a large Indian population. Would the practicing Sikh and Hindu now demand their holidays be added? How about the Asians? Shintos and Buddhist?

Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

November 16, 2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
These items should be governed on a local level. If you have a majority Muslim population and you want to take those days off, so be it.
Yep.
Detroit, surprisingly, has the highest Muslim immigrant and practicing Muslim concentration in America. I would say look to their school system as the starting point for a discussion.

If they think it's in their students and taxpayers interest to take the Muslim high holy days off, others should note this as a precedent to bring before their school board during the next meeting. If they don't take the day off, them that should largely end the discussion.

Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires.

Unread
  (#5)
Commute racer

November 16, 2014, 07:21 AM

Just tell the Muslims that most of those holidays are stolen Pagan festivals anyway, and stop worrying about Christian kids thinking they are getting preferred treatment.
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

November 16, 2014, 12:58 PM

Meh, as a Muslim who got to skip out on school a few more days than others and it was "excused" I had no complaints.

To me this is a little off because our calendar is a lunar calendar, so its some days behind the solar calendar which we use here. Most of the time, for Eid (which is probably the biggest holiday for us) we have to wait till late at night for some head of the mosque out in Saudia Arabia, or whoever you follow before we can claim the holiday or not.
Unread
  (#7)
Your Ad Here

November 16, 2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkhas View Post
we have to wait till late at night for some head
Same here, and I'm not even Muslim.

... wait what?

Unread
  (#8)
GP Racer

November 16, 2014, 03:04 PM

LOL, that too.
Unread
  (#9)
SRWJTS Recruiter

November 16, 2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Same here, and I'm not even Muslim.

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#10)
Groping is a skill...

November 16, 2014, 08:05 PM

I'm muslim. I never got no holidays off. I feel gipped...

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to