DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 543
4 members and 539 guests
HenryW, Sal_the_man, TonUp, Triple X
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Mopar/ Dodge build help 5.2/ 318 swap 92 Dakota
Unread
  (#1)
Get Tarded!

Mopar/ Dodge build help 5.2/ 318 swap 92 Dakota - April 2, 2012, 04:23 PM

I have a long bed Dakota, the motor is now due for a chain, one of the main caps sounds like it is making noise and the valve train is due to be gone through. It ran fine and the truck has been great. But with the noise and the nearly 200k miles I would rather swap the magnum v6 for a magnum v8. Like I have thought about for many years. I figure for $1700 the machine shop to build the v6 vs $2000-2100 OTD for the v8 the v8 is looking very appealing.

So correct me if I am wrong, a 5.2 magnum will bolt in directly to my bell-housing and motor mounts, all accessories and sensors will swap directly. I need to swap for a v8 pcm and run two additional pairs of injector wires to the pcm. I will need a 92-93 fuel rail I believe as my regulator is on the rear of the drivers side fuel rail. And depending on my intake I may delete most of the EGR system to broaden my choices leaving the EGR valve hooked up to fool the computer unless I can put a relay or jumper in its place.

I'm reaching out, after scouring dodge forums for months and lurking for years here is what I can gather on dakotas/ the Magnum 5.2 block.

92-95 is OBD1 and 96 up is OBD2

So here is where I am stuck
Are all magnum 5.2 blocks interchangeable? I need a 5.2 core to build and have found a few dirt cheap donors out of grand Cherokees.

But I am trying to avoid any compatibility issues, from what I understand the plenum is the only variation between the motors besides early blocks were designed to be cross compatible with LA heads?

The build sheet as it stands

Mopar performance PCM $130

Hughes MPI intake with all hardware. $600
Hughes Engines
Or a used Mopar M1 $250-300 with EGR (if I can find it

Core motor with harness and fuel rail +/-$200

Headers $200-400
Gibson /Sell my v6 JBA's for a v8 JBA set up.

Have machine shop build motor $2100

v8 springs

Misc bullshit/ Oil pan $200

So I figure I'm looking at $3-3.5k to have my Dakota set up, I have toyed with the idea of the 5.9, but then then I'm still using gas up like the v6 did and the fuel system becomes more complex/ or the computer and regulator will have issues with the motor running lean. If it was cost effective I would swap it for a 4BT in heartbeat....

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, I was going to use Old Branch Machine for the engine work they get great reviews.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

April 2, 2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarded Jake View Post
So I figure I'm looking at $3-3.5k to have my Dakota set up,

I sold my whole truck, '99 5.2L, for that much.

What sort of mileage do you think you will actually get? Mine hardly sipped gas.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#3)
Get Tarded!

April 5, 2012, 04:10 PM

Double post...

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#4)
Get Tarded!

April 5, 2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMotorcycleGuy View Post
I sold my whole truck, '99 5.2L, for that much.

What sort of mileage do you think you will actually get? Mine hardly sipped gas.
Stock factory equipped 5.2's from the owners I have spoken to get constant numbers around 21mpg mixed.

And from forums and cars shows, with a air gap intake from Hughes/mopar m1, exhaust and 3.55's in the rear or taller owners were seeing mid to high 20's.

Towing they were claiming 17-19 with a heavy load/ trailer.

The v6 in it right now, the best was 26.5 mpg with the headers, and full exhaust. But with a heavy load above 65-70mph it tanks to 11-14 and around dc and sitting in traffic I get 15mpg if I'm lucky.

Any suggestions on local junk yards for blocks? I know some used engine distribution services in Colorado specialize in sub 60k mile motors and they do a year warranty/ replacement for failures. If I could do that I would be confident enough to save the $1500 additional for the rebuild. Brandywine is a joke...

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#5)
The last urrbendah

April 5, 2012, 06:43 PM

Are those Dak#'s? My 98 5.2 1500 2wd only averaged about 17. It would touch 19 unloaded on the highway.

Solid motor though.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#6)
Ballaugh Bridge

April 5, 2012, 08:02 PM

Most people seem to have a tendency to inflate their personal MPG figures.

Max for mine was 17mpg on the highway in the Summer heat. Less when cooler.
Typical daily driving = 14mpg
Towing a 6'x14' trailer = 10-11mpg

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Unread
  (#7)
opossum puncher

April 5, 2012, 09:06 PM

So you want to invest 3100 in to a 15+ yo truck. When selling the truck, and the 3100 investment will buy you a taco with better milage and gas milage?

Count how much you make and calculate how much your time is worth. The dodge aint worth your investment.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#8)
Get Tarded!

April 6, 2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
So you want to invest 3100 in to a 15+ yo truck. When selling the truck, and the 3100 investment will buy you a taco with better milage and gas milage?

Count how much you make and calculate how much your time is worth. The dodge aint worth your investment.
I'm not investing anything in the sense I have the anticipation of a monetary return. Believe me I have no delusions of what my truck is worth, it's has been a extremely reliable beater and that's what it will be, a utilitarian tool. As for my personal labor, blood, and sweat I am content investing that because I will see a return in that area.

I have 3 years time as a shop tech/ hand, I really don't care for a smaller truck. At 6' 5" this is the only "Mid size" truck with a long bed I can fit in comfortably for a long distance. As for taco's it not what I need or am looking for, I would consider a full size if I could justify it to myself.

The 3K+ estimate is my worst case scenario, I don't do loans or payments on anything I could survive for at-least 6 months off of what I have saved.

So no insult taken or given, but if you have some good leads for my project I'm all ears. Otherwise the fatherly advise was pre-thought and a decision was made long before I started this project a few weeks ago.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650
Unread
  (#9)
Get Tarded!

June 9, 2012, 07:51 PM

It's on it's way found a motor with about 109k to start with, core fees fuel and misc bullshit came to around $600 it had the right fuel rail and oil pan I needed so I pulled the trigger.

I bought it from Andy's auto parts, hopefully it is a strong motor. Nearly every old head, Napa managers, and local recommended them. And my co-worker just had them build a drive shaft.

So fingers crossed.....

The motor had a little sludge in the pan and valley (still less than some motors I have seen in cars with much lower mileage) I expected some for a nearly 20 year old motor, the bottom end, rockers and springs had a light varnish. I can still see hatching on the cylinders. The timing chain was loose, looked like the coolant was nasty, no signs of oil leaks pre pulling the covers off.

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650

Last edited by Tarded Jake; June 9, 2012 at 08:06 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
Get Tarded!

June 11, 2012, 12:22 AM

08 Dizzzer SM
08 Z1000
98 KLR 650