DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 554
0 members and 554 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
More ignorance around the VT tragedy
Unread
  (#1)
Naked...it's the only way

More ignorance around the VT tragedy - April 18, 2007, 01:26 PM

The inevitable attack on science
By: Steve on Tuesday, April 17th, 2007 at 5:20 PM - PDT 'http://www.crooksandliars.com/2007/04/17/the-inevitable-attack-on-science/';

In 1999, as the nation was still coming to grips with the tragedy at Columbine High School, then-House Majority Leader Tom DeLay (R-Texas) took to the floor to identify what he saw as the real culprit: science classes. “Our school systems teach the children that they are nothing but glorified apes who are evolutionized [sic] out of some primordial soup,” DeLay said. Young people learn modern biology, DeLay said, which in turn makes them feel insignificant, which in turn leads to violence.
This was, of course, one of the more loathsome comments made by one of Congress's more despicable people, but after yesterday’s shootings at Virginia Tech, it was only a matter of time before someone who shares DeLay’s worldview stepped up to assess yesterday’s tragedy the same way.

Enter Ken Ham, a leading creationist activist, who leads an outfit called Answers in Genesis.
“We live in an era when public high schools and colleges have all but banned God from science classes. In these classrooms, students are taught that the whole universe, including plants and animals — and humans — arose by natural processes. Naturalism (in essence, atheism) has become the religion of the day and has become the foundation of the education system (and Western culture as a whole). The more such a philosophy permeates the culture, the more we would expect to see a sense of purposelessness and hopelessness that pervades people’s thinking. In fact, the more a culture allows the killing of the unborn, the more we will see people treating life in general as ‘cheap.’”

Ham, it’s worth noting, wrote this yesterday. He couldn’t even wait 24 hours before connecting the massacre and biology classes.

Reminds me a lot of this thread
Darrell Scots tetimony to Congress (Columbine parent)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
DAS BOOT

April 18, 2007, 01:30 PM

when are people going to be held accountable for their own actions?

Wow. Just..................wow.
Unread
  (#3)
TEAM.SUKUZI

April 18, 2007, 01:33 PM

-that was dumb...

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

April 18, 2007, 01:35 PM

My opinion has already been stated in the aforementioned thread.

Moral Obscurity. Sometimes belief in God or religion can shore up these failures of society (in that the author is correct), and lend meaning and objectivity to life, not that I think traditional religion is the best means with which to achieve this (in that the author is mistaken).

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#5)
B
It goes to 11.

April 18, 2007, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
when are people going to be held accountable for their own actions?
That's actually the whole point. Moral obscurity holds no one accountable but to themselves. "do what you want" *shrug*

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#6)
singin sweet home alabama

April 18, 2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
That's actually the whole point. Moral obscurity holds no one accountable but to themselves. "do what you want" *shrug*
Or the better version Ben, do evil in the name of righteousness. Your answer, really is no answer.

Moral certainty is just as dangerous.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#7)

April 18, 2007, 02:27 PM

1 point for the voice of reason, DvlsAdvc8. You're on a roll.
Unread
  (#8)
PewPew

April 18, 2007, 02:35 PM

"As long as there has been one true God, there has been killing in his name."

Historically there has been more violence cause by religion than any other reason.

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#9)

April 18, 2007, 02:48 PM

before Ben starts throwing metaphysics and gravity at me.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
Unread
  (#10)
PewPew

April 18, 2007, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlsAdvc8

before Ben starts throwing metaphysics and gravity at me.

Just wait till he starts throwing feces...

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#11)
Far from a rookie!!!!!

April 18, 2007, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaGhost

WHAT??? lol

James

Joe Rocket Whore

Why your man acting like secret service??? I'm going to get you alone and get my secret serviced!!!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boogie_gsxr26 Send a message via AIM to boogie_gsxr26  
Unread
  (#12)

April 18, 2007, 03:16 PM

Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

April 18, 2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaGhost

Or your moms, cause I just finished with them.

The point is that the morality instilled by the "god-fearing" architects of our society has slowly been vanquished, and not for the better of society, there has been no replacement. I think if you read my posts from the other thread you'd realize I've already addressed that. The problem then is, do you want the devil you know or the devil you don't???

You might say that America's grandscale attack on it's Christian heretage has left it somewhat like our grandscale attack on iraq... with no moral compass or leadership... in a lot of chaos, and increasingly so. Actually I'd love to see that comparison, it might be quite educational.

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#14)

April 18, 2007, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
Or your moms, cause I just finished with them.
Witness, if you will, one man's evolution to a status where all comments prior and future are rendered weightless.
Unread
  (#15)
Whoa, Momma!

April 18, 2007, 03:42 PM

I think that they have it all wrong. They shouldn't make scapegoats of science and firearms.

The real culprit here is fast transportation. Cars, motorcycles, trains and planes should be banned... even horses! If there wasn't fast transportation weren't available, the shooter would have had to walk all the way from Centerville to the VT campus.

Of course, he could have done this, but he would have been way too tired to shoot 32 people in two locations of the campus. Maybe he would have only hit one side of the campus? Maybe he would have carried less guns and bullets on him. Maybe he would have just used harsh language over the phone?

Anyways... of course this is silly, but so are all the other BS I've been seeing in the news.

The way I really see it... with a population of 300,000,000 in the US, even with a 0.00001% occurance rate, you are bound to get a handful of really crazy folks out there that take shit to the extreme. All it takes is a few bad apples.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to lucrecci