DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 519
1 members and 518 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Motorcycle Dedicated GPS units...do anyone still use them?
Unread
  (#1)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Motorcycle Dedicated GPS units...do anyone still use them? - January 26, 2017, 04:50 PM

So i have an old as hell (200 sorta basic GPS unit on my bike. I absolutely do not want to use my phone for gps stuff while riding. My old ass GPS took a while to find my location and it will die after 2 days if i do not keep it charged.

I keep it mounted and found myself in a pickle last night.

Went on a super late nite ride after midnight. Left DC and When I hit Potomac MD where I planed to fill up... all the gas station were closed. I still had gas and figured id be ok.

I head thru some back roads then towards Hagarstown MD. I get around that are about 130amish and the gas stations are closed also..and the gas light came on 20 miles b4 i stop. Anyway I hit my waz on my phone to find something and get the address then plug it into my GPS since if I just put gas station in...it only want to show me the 3 near me that are closed.

Anyway I was in luck...think it was less than 5 or 7 miles away.
I normally always have a fueling plan but this was an impromptu test n tune ride.

But 1st...I was glad i actually had the GPS plugged in b4 I left home.
2nd this let me know I should invest in another maybe modern and relable GPS unit. One that can withsand outdoor weather.

Anyone using GPS standalone units still ?

IF so what is decent?

ps: i use a laptimer holder on the bike to hold the GPS unit. Heavy modifications.

The Nightmare of Summit Point
WERA Nov# 325 / CCS # 326
2016 ZX10R ABS (Street) | 2011 ZX10RR(Race)
2011 R6 (Street & Track) | 2009 WR250F
GunnRunnaz.com|GR on FaceBook | www.2666ad.com|
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#2)
Your Ad Here

January 26, 2017, 06:45 PM

Not as frequently, but more than a few on here still do.
They are good as back-up devices to toss in the tail. Or primary devices on long rides.

Phone GPS are just so much more functional (as you came to find) and flexible. Plus the maps are always up to date and they can deliver road congestion, speed trap information , and accidents, real time.
The only downside: If you're in an area w/low or no data coverage, you have a potato.

That's why I keep Navigon on my phone. It's a standalone navigation app that downloads maps and geodata and stores them in memory, so, just like a regular GPS device there is no need for data connection.

Since you had GPS on and this was a shake down run, what was the VMax?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

January 26, 2017, 09:23 PM

Seems it would be easier to just run a usb cable from the battery to keep the phone juiced up, instead of a stand alone unit.

As mentioned phone is more up to date and readily available without the hassle of updating a stand alone unit. The only thing that baffles me about phone is if it has a GPS chip why the hell it can't lock into GPS without a cell signal!

Tommy

MSF Graduate 9-25-05
13 DRZ400SM Sold 6-21-16
06 R6 Raven Sold 4-23-15
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

January 26, 2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN96WS6 View Post
Seems it would be easier to just run a usb cable from the battery to keep the phone juiced up, instead of a stand alone unit. As mentioned phone is more up to date and readily available without the hassle of updating a stand alone unit. The only thing that baffles me about phone is if it has a GPS chip why the hell it can't lock into GPS without a cell signal!
You can. This is what Navigon is. I use an old IPhone 4 as my standalone GPS and music player.

But with phone native GPS mapping, the map that won't update without cellular and for whatever reason they program your phone to tell you GPS not available as opposed to defaulting to a coordinate system - which at least is somewhat useful if you can read Lat / Lon Coordinates and orienter it on a paper map.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Triumph-ant

January 27, 2017, 06:30 AM

Shoulda hit me up. Im 20 miles from hagerstown and would give you petrol, fam

1996 GS500E - Sold
2001 Speed Triple 955i - Sold
1999 Daytona 955i - Sold
2000 Ducati 748S
Unread
  (#6)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

January 27, 2017, 07:28 AM

I use a Garmin 660LM. Besides it being motorcycle specific, it has a nice mount/charger for easy use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fz09gps.jpg (14.7 KB, 9 views)

-Ryan
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

January 27, 2017, 08:21 AM

+1 for the Garmin 600+ series units. I use a GPS on my bikes all the time and in all types of weather. I killed several cheap units before getting a Garmin 600. It's indestructible. As mentioned by Dark, it has a very good MC specific locking & powered mount available as well.

Phones are fantastic these days but phones don't work everywhere and more than one rider has lost their phone out of one of the universal mounts folks use on their bikes. I want my phone in my pocket, not on the handlebars.

There's bold riders and old riders, but damn few bold old riders.
Unread
  (#8)
Im Always Down to Ride

January 27, 2017, 08:38 AM

Funny you mention this because I literally just bought all the items I needed. Worked great on the vibrating ass Duc.

I still use my phone but I also use the Garmin Nuvi 260w (my wife's old nav)

Lastly, I have it all connected up using

Which is awesome because I just connect it to my battery tender when in use or needed.

All in all, shit comes together perfectly

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

January 27, 2017, 09:06 AM

Garmin 72 for measuring peak mph.

But for navigation I'd use any decent GPS with a ram mount (preferably the X grip...solid enough to survive my crash) and run the cable to charge it to a battery tender USB adapter. That plugs into the battery tender lead that most people already have on the bike. We set these up all the time and as long as you leave some slack where the cable routes to the handlebar no issues. Usually route under the tank or side of frame depending on make/model of bike.

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com

ZX14: 222 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
EX650: 130.7 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
Unread
  (#10)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 27, 2017, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_the_man View Post
Shoulda hit me up. Im 20 miles from hagerstown and would give you petrol, fam
but it was after 1am lol....

I was creating engine braking maps and adjusting the electronics on the 2016 zx10R aka the digital bike.

plan was a quick 20 mile run DC to moco area...

After 2 days and like a million maps the bike felt so damn good..I just kept going making mental notes.

The GPS was cool cuz it let me look around my area i exit to...

Im not sure if my GPS will still run when plugged in to charge up. I brought all the stuff to run from battery to GPS, but I might be thinking of my other 2008 one that goes into charging mode when plugged up.

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to vonstallin  
Unread
  (#11)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 27, 2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I use a Garmin 660LM. Besides it being motorcycle specific, it has a nice mount/charger for easy use.
nice touch screen?

Unread
  (#12)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 27, 2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windblown View Post
+1 for the Garmin 600+ series units. I use a GPS on my bikes all the time and in all types of weather. I killed several cheap units before getting a Garmin 600. It's indestructible. As mentioned by Dark, it has a very good MC specific locking & powered mount available as well.

Phones are fantastic these days but phones don't work everywhere and more than one rider has lost their phone out of one of the universal mounts folks use on their bikes. I want my phone in my pocket, not on the handlebars.
exactly...and like you said ive seen my friends lose there phones.

If i lose or brake my phone... ill have to pay $850+

so a dedicated GPS is good for me...for way less. Also no chance of me forgetting and leaving my phone on my bike.

Unread
  (#13)
Я - Ребенок Люциферов

January 27, 2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds120 View Post
Funny you mention this because I literally just bought all the items I needed. Worked great on the vibrating ass Duc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qqTvRDQEf0

I still use my phone but I also use the Garmin Nuvi 260w (my wife's old nav)

Lastly, I have it all connected up using

Which is awesome because I just connect it to my battery tender when in use or needed.

All in all, shit comes together perfectly

hmmm...

I need this for my car and truck lol so i can see waz better.,

Unread
  (#14)
Mommy's Little Monster

January 27, 2017, 12:53 PM

Unless I'm going on a 1,000+ mile trip somewhere, I tend to just use my phone (iPhone7) mounted with RAM mounts, and using Waze. If I need to I can plug it in via USB and 12v adapter. As others have mentioned this gives me not only directions if I need them, but also traffic info, LEO sighting, hazards on the road ahead, etc etc. Of course your use may vary depending on what kind of data plan you're on with your cell phone carrier.

In addition to the GPS unit Dark mentioned, one that I have been eyeing for a while is the TomTom Rider 400. Was released last year and seems to be a massive improvement over previous GPS units they've done.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#15)
Ballaugh Bridge

January 27, 2017, 01:58 PM

What, no credit card? Even when closed the pumps at most stations still work. At least in most non-podunk places in VA.

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship