DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 572
5 members and 567 guests
BigDaddyShoo, GRN96WS6, nootherids, tonetone, TonUp
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 29, 2004, 10:09 AM

Mouthful Gets Metro Passenger Handcuffs and Jail

By Lyndsey Layton

Stephanie Willett is a 45-year-old scientist for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency from Bowie whose skirmishes with the law had largely been limited to a couple of speeding tickets.

Until she was caught chewing inside a Metro station.

About 6:30 p.m. July 16, Willett was eating a PayDay candy bar while riding the escalator from 11th Street NW into the Metro Center Station. Metro Transit Police Officer Cherrail Curry-Hagler was riding up.

The police officer warned Willett to finish the candy before entering the station because eating or drinking in the Metro system is illegal.

Willett nodded, kept chewing the peanut-and-caramel bar and stuffed the last bit into her mouth before throwing the wrapper into the trash can near the station manager's kiosk, according to both Willett and Curry-Hagler.

Curry-Hagler turned around and followed Willett into the station. Moments after making a remark to the officer, Willett said, she was searched, handcuffed and arrested for chewing the last bite of her candy bar after she passed through the fare gates. She was released several hours later after paying a $10 fine, pending a hearing.

"We've been doing our best to crack down on people who are consuming food and beverages in our stations because we get so many complaints about it," said Lisa Farbstein, a Metro spokeswoman. "In this instance, the woman was given a warning, which she ignored, and she jammed the rest of the candy bar into her mouth and continued to chew."

Willett said she was being unfairly punished because she made fun of the police officer after Curry-Hagler issued a second warning before the arrest.

"Why don't you go and take care of some real crime?" Willett said she told the officer while still swallowing the PayDay bar as she rode a second escalator to catch her Orange Line train home.

The police officer ordered Willett to stop and produce identification. "I said, 'For what?' and kept walking," Willett said.

In a report, Curry-Hagler said she wanted to issue a citation for eating on the Metro but the PayDay lover refused to stop.

"Next thing I knew, she pushed me into the cement wall, calls for backup and puts handcuffs on me," Willett said.

She said Curry-Hagler patted her down, running her hands around Willett's bust, under her bra and around her waist. Two other officers appeared, and the three took Willett to a waiting police cruiser.

At the D.C. police 1st District headquarters, Willett said, she was locked in a cell with another person. At 9:30 p.m., after she paid a $10 fine, Willett was released to her husband.

"It was humiliating," said Willett, who is to appear in court in October. "It was a complete waste of taxpayers' money and the officers' time as well as mine. It was just about her trying to retaliate against me because I made a comment about how insignificant I thought the matter was."

"I understand the intent of them not wanting people to eat in the Metro," Willett said. "If anything, I was chewing in the Metro."

Farbstein said Willett violated the rules. "Chewing is eating," she said.

Sen. Leo E. Green (D-Prince George's) complained in writing to Metro Chief Executive Richard A. White. "They have better things to do than arrest someone for that," said Green, who has not received a response. "It just seemed way out of bounds."

Metro occasionally has come under fire for what some considered extreme enforcement of its no-eating rules. The best-known example was in 2000, when a transit police officer handcuffed a 12-year-old girl for eating a single french fry on a subway platform.

The incident catapulted Metro into the national spotlight, and talk radio hosts debated whether the agency had gone too far in its devotion to order. A federal judge later said the police were "foolish" to arrest the girl but ruled that Metro did not violate her constitutional rights.

The candy bar arrest follows several recent decisions by Metro that have angered passengers. Metro tried to run two-car trains late at night to save money, but the cars became very crowded. And the transit agency started requiring passengers to pay for parking with SmarTrip electronic fare cards but soon found it was running out of cards.

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

July 29, 2004, 10:18 AM

That Willet chick seems like a snobby bitch IMO.
Metro Rent-a-Cop locked her ass up good, didn't she?
Unread
  (#3)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 29, 2004, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuDaddy
That Willet chick seems like a snobby bitch IMO.
Metro Rent-a-Cop locked her ass up good, didn't she?

Hmmmm...I don't know.

I dont think her rude comment was called for but I also think the officer pressed the issue a bit. She was finishing up the candy bar as instructed. Last bit in her mouth. The whole situation seems silly to me.

StuDaddy...wanna fight about our difference in opinions?

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

Unread
  (#4)

July 29, 2004, 11:09 AM

Yeah baby... let's roll... wanna wrestle? I'll bring the KY.

[blue]Just ring the fucking bell, you pansy![/blue]
Unread
  (#5)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 29, 2004, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Yeah baby... let's roll... wanna wrestle? I'll bring the KY.

[blue]Just ring the fucking bell, you pansy![/blue]

Wrestling is for pussies! Bitch slapping is how I roll! Bite me you poser! Why dont you go eat a sissy Payday!

Unread
  (#6)

July 29, 2004, 12:21 PM

Biting...
Slapping...
Sounds like a fun night, not a fight

Eat a PayDay eh? .... I'll give you some salty nuts to chew on
Unread
  (#7)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 29, 2004, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Biting...
Slapping...
Sounds like a fun night, not a fight

Eat a PayDay eh? .... I'll give you some salty nuts to chew on

A complimentary airline snack bag would be more filling

Unread
  (#8)
MSF Student

July 29, 2004, 02:28 PM

haha, i read that this morning, that was a bit rude but I ride the metro everyday maybe this will be a warning to all the other slobs on there to stop eating crap in the cars...

I also think people should be arrested for talking loud at 6:30am in the morning when I am trying to sleep....

should be arrested for trying to sit next to me when I already am bigger then most people, if they are smaller thats fine....

should be arrested for coughing out of control, when they know they are sick, bitches shouldnt be alowed on without cough drops....

should be arrested for trying to get on the damm train when the doors are already halfway closed... should invent new door technology to pepper spray offendors who try this crap and slow the train down....

should arrest morons who dont understand that people getting out of the train need to get out before they rudly try to get in....

should arrest anyone who smells like they have not had a shower, gets packed in that camp and some people smell slike shiat.....

should arrest and uplift anyone who doesnt understand the concept of escalator etiquite, that is if your lazy ass is not capable of walking up the escalotor while it is in motion, then you are to step off to the right and let others go by....

should be arrested if you dont understand the basic laws of physics.... like if you are standing and train is stopping, you need to brace yourself as the inertia of the train will push you forward and possible into someone violently..... should understand that the silver poles were put everywhere in the train for this purpose....
Unread
  (#9)
Brainwash Your Face!

July 29, 2004, 03:07 PM

Yeah you def ride the train. I rode it a few years back for work and I HATED IT! The summer is the absolute worst...all the freaking tourist and their brat offspring.

Unread
  (#10)
Zombie apocalypse yet?

July 29, 2004, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetro1
should arrest morons who dont understand that people getting out of the train need to get out before they rudly try to get in....
Yeah, what is up with that? People do that at elevators too. The most annoying part for me is when you're the one trying to exit and they look at you like a confused dog when you try to walk forward and they're in your way. I can almost hear their thoughts, "...but he's walking at where I am, what do I do? [insert scooby-doo "errrr?" noise here]

Quote:
should arrest and uplift anyone who doesnt understand the concept of escalator etiquite, that is if your lazy ass is not capable of walking up the escalotor while it is in motion, then you are to step off to the right and let others go by....
Maybe you should just get behind them and ram them to teach them a lesson. Thats funny on two different levels.

-Steve

-Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
I walked in on Steve while he was in the bathroom once, it was glorious...
2015 Grom
2013 Hayabusa
2006 VTX 1300
2002 Sportster 883 (for her)
1998 TL1000R - Sold
1991 GSXR750 (second one) - Sold
1991 GSXR750 - Sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DAYUIZ Send a message via AIM to DAYUIZ  
Unread
  (#11)
MSF Student

July 30, 2004, 06:55 AM

i am going to start taking the marc train to union, i hear that is a lot bigger and more comfortable.... the red line on the metro has been busted all week,
Unread
  (#12)
MSF Student

July 30, 2004, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmetro1
should be arrested if you dont understand the basic laws of physics.... like if you are standing and train is stopping, you need to brace yourself as the inertia of the train will push you forward and possible into someone violently...
Actually, it is the individual's inertia that keeps them moving. Objects in motion tend to stay in motion. Newton's law of motion number 1.

Back on topic, I think this lady got what she deserved. The cop patiently gave her two fair warnings and all this bitch did was mouth off. When are people going to learn NOT to talk back to the police? You are just asking for trouble.

<font color="red">Honda CBR600F4</font>

"People demand freedom of speech
as a compensation for the freedom
of thought, which they seldom use."
Unread
  (#13)
dirty old man in training

July 30, 2004, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Farbstein said Willett violated the rules. "Chewing is eating," she said.
so by this defination then we eat a piece of gum??? WTF? That's rediculous.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to djetch