DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 499
6 members and 493 guests
2blueyam, beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, davidcycle, nootherids, RRonin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
MUSICIANS..... HELP?
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

MUSICIANS..... HELP? - July 20, 2006, 11:54 AM

i know there are several people on the board who play music etc so here is my situation my 10 yr old son wants to tey to play the drums or guitar he's up in the air as to which. is there any reasons or things that make one better than the other,

i'll get him whatever equipment is needed i just need to know the pros and cons and expense im getting myself into here....

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Rampage "Why you got one shoe on and one shoe off?"
Rashad "Cause i was ready to break one off in your mother****ing ass!"
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to FUNx1000  
Unread
  (#2)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

July 20, 2006, 11:57 AM

Drums is more coordination and rhythm.

Guitar is more notes.

I say have him do both and see what he likes.

I can show him a few basics on guitar. I taught a few things to my son when he was about 10

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#3)
Retired to most ...

July 20, 2006, 11:58 AM

My personal opinion. Start cheap since you have no idea if this is going to hold his interest. Get a starter guitar for him to learn on since drums require at least a partial set to play and that starts to get expensive. Just my opinion that you shouldn't get too invested untill you see the desire to keep going.

Then again I'm a guitarist so I'm partial to guitar.

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#4)

July 20, 2006, 11:58 AM

drums are about 300 for a set and NOISY.

and a guitar is about 400 for a beginner set up, and will become noisy and much more expensive.

Drummers are always a hot commodity, compared to a guitarist.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

July 20, 2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Drums is more coordination and rhythm.

Guitar is more notes.

I say have him do both and see what he likes.

I can show him a few basics on guitar. I taught a few things to my son when he was about 10
I'll def keep the lesson thing in mind, i'd be willing to pay ya for lessons etc.

i just got off the phone and he to said "try both and i'll see which one i like" so there r places that rent both right so i dont shell out loads of money .....?

Unread
  (#6)
Got my Permit

July 20, 2006, 12:06 PM

yes, places rent both. you can likely get lessons at those same places or at the very least they can point you in the right direction. i'd definitely recommend lessons though, it is too easy to be overwhelmed and lose interest.

heck, you may even want to just pick up a cheap acoustic rather than renting. new they go for $100ish. if he doesn't like it, turn around and sell it on craigslist for $50. i can see a rental costing more than $50 in 2 months. acoustic is much more bearable and teaches the basics the same as an electric setup.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
B
It goes to 11.

July 20, 2006, 12:07 PM

You are actually comparing apples and oranges. They are such completely different animals you may as well have asked whether to stick him in classical composition or 90's greatest hits.

I suggest, if he REALLY likes music, get both. Cheaply.

Drums - More expensive, innitially he will show an apptitude or a complete IN-apptitude for them. You can't learn drums if you don't have rhythm. So you may spend $400+ on drums, symbols, sticks and he sucks. Get him a snare a highhat and a cymbol and move to a full set from there.

Investment - $200 if that

Guitar - Get him a starter fender squier, I have 3 in ohio, I would sell you one for $50 but I don't know where they are. Then pick up a little 15 watt amp. He needs to learn songs and move to writing his own later. Nothing worse than a guitarist who can only play someone elses stuff. You should get him a Bass too, cause Bass fucking Rawks!!!

Investment - $150

Look on ebay, used stuff sells cheap.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#8)

July 20, 2006, 12:07 PM

No need to pay. Just buy me a few beers when we are out.

I am pretty sure Melodee Music rents out equipment.

Rent him an Acoustic. Have him learn proper. Does he listen to any music? What songs does he like?

Unread
  (#9)

July 20, 2006, 12:08 PM

Ben has a good point. get bothand round him off as a good musician for later.

Unread
  (#10)
Unicorn Rider

July 20, 2006, 12:12 PM

the world can always use more "GOOD" drummers, seems like there aren't enough. Anyone that has tried to put a band together knows exactly what I mean. Not to mention that the school band usually has room for a full set drummer if he wanted to do the Jazz thing and would get additional instruction. As far as Cons.. my neighbors parents had to invest in good earplugs as a full drumkit can get kinda loud and the learning curve can be slow to start.

Personally I went with guitar, small amp with an earphone plug so I was only annoying myself with fretbuzz, missed notes, and out of tune bends. Not to mention that if he learns the strings it isn't a leap to switch to bass should he ever wat to play that. The top 4 strings (E,A,D,G) are the same in standard tune setups. On camping trips I like taking my accoustic guitar and I usually have one or more friends bring tribal style drums and we have a blast. It may also be good to get a nylon string one to begin with to start developing caluses(sp?) before getting on a steel string. (My fingers gut cut open a few times playing "rock star" on the .009 High E string)

As far as cost.. it varies based on quality of equipment. I'd sugest getting something on the more inexpensive end to make sure he is going to stick with it. Musicians friend has some combo deals for starter stuff that is fairly decent. You should be able to get up and playing with either choice for under $400.

'15 Ducati 821 Monster
Miss my GSXR
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
I'm an Asshole

July 20, 2006, 12:21 PM

Just wanted to let you know, I just bought a beginner fender from guitar center with an amp package for under 300. (293 out the door).

Definately a good deal and had everything you needed to get started (amp, picks, extra strings, tuner, etc etc). Keep in mind that was brand new. I'd recommend buying used, since you don't know if he'll like playing.

I started out on acoustic, and I still enjoy it more (mostly cause its easier to strum chords than pick notes). I'd say buy a used acoustic for under 100$. Really, this kid does not need an amp to learn guitar.

Drums I took in 5th grade. I sucked so bad, they litterally had to schedule a new class for ME ALONE.

Good luck, and really, don't spend a lot of money.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj 
Unread
  (#12)
GP Racer

July 20, 2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben

I suggest, if he REALLY likes music, get both. Cheaply.
seems like the general concensus , i guess thats what i'll do

thanks

my only fear is he'll like music more than sports hahaha
j/k i actually want him to do whatever he wants to

Unread
  (#13)
Full spin ahead.

July 20, 2006, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Ben has a good point. get bothand round him off as a good musician for later.
+1 on that.

Throw in some classical piano lessons to give him great chord fundamentals and he'll be the next Prince! =)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#14)

July 20, 2006, 12:35 PM

I liked music and sports. He can do both.

I played in a band and 3 sports in high school

Then I discovered beer.

Unread
  (#15)
I'm an Asshole

July 20, 2006, 12:35 PM

I have come to learn that the musicians score more than the jocks post high school. Being a musician inspires individuality.

But if you catch him painting his fingernails black... i'd worry a little.

If you can read this, give me a red dot
If you get mad when I type, do us both a favor.

Some recent rep I have been given:
-U-R-Gay (unsigned)
-you dont even ride you troll (unsigned)
-you are now 115% gay, ghey, and ghay (unsigned)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to griffindj Send a message via Skype™ to griffindj