DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 634
4 members and 630 guests
2blueyam, Sal_the_man, t84a, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
My first half marathon
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

My first half marathon - March 16, 2007, 01:13 PM

Alright peeps, Ill be heading down to VA beach tonight to run in the shamrock fest half marathon on sunday.

Normally the wife and I do the 10K on saturday, but last fall we decided to to try the half marathon.

ok yeah, back then i was running ALL the time to look less FAT for my wedding photos. Since the honeymoon in Nov, i fell off the wagon so hard i got bumps and bruises on my forehead.

Ive managed to get a few runs in here and there. I can do 6 - 7 miles no biggie. But ive gained some weight back due to less exercising and more eating.

SON of a!!

Well, wish me luck and pray i dont maintain 10 minute mile Fak!!

Before Nov i was maintaining 8 min/mile for 10 miles.

oh and most of you know i am a gadget person, so i recently purchased this because i cannot STAND not knowing how far ive run and what my pace and heart rate is.

http://www.garmin.com/products/forerunner305/#

Its pretty cool! I can even wear it while riding the motorcycle to get MPH speeds.

Other cool thing is that it keeps a record of the run.

If you goto www.motionbased.com, you can upload the route you ran.

Example:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/n...digest/view.mb

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/331130

Route I run sometimes:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:/...kValues=331130

The good part right now is that i can watch my Heart Rate and not kill myself if im pushing too much.

I will finish, but i dont think i will do as well as id like had i not been an idiot.

When i get back, i will upload the run to the google maps and you can see my stats from the run.

When i wear it on the motorcycle, i will start uploading those rides too!

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury

Last edited by spud; March 16, 2007 at 01:16 PM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

March 16, 2007, 01:20 PM

Good Luck Spud! I ran the Shamrock full marathon last year. It's a pretty flat easy course. You should do fine. Just don't go out too fast. I ran the Rock n' Roll 1/2 marathon in Va beach this past Labor Day....that was hard b/c it was soo hot! Have fun down there.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

March 16, 2007, 01:22 PM

yes the FLAT VA beach is the main reason why we chose it to be our first half marathon.

christa, have you tried a GPS watch yet??

I cant wait to try mine out. Now i can run anywhere and know all the stats.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
( * )|( * )

March 16, 2007, 03:21 PM

Good luck! If you look up and see the birds that means you're moving too slow!

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
SIN MC President

March 16, 2007, 03:28 PM

GOOD LUCK!!! I'm gonna try my hand at the Marine Corp Marathon again this year... the point is that I finished at least. You'll do fine if you can knock out 10 miles..the other 3 miles will be mental..

BTW, DAMN YOU AND YOUR GARMIN!!! I've been trying to pull the trigger one of those for a long time now.. It never occured to me that I could use it for riding..duh!!! dammit... new camera lenses, new 1000RR goodies, or that damn garmin forerunner.... too many toys..maybe I should make some money first....

#22 TOTNAC
STRENGTH IN NUMBERS MC

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

March 16, 2007, 03:33 PM

or marry a suga momma like me

chris

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#7)

March 16, 2007, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
yes the FLAT VA beach is the main reason why we chose it to be our first half marathon.

christa, have you tried a GPS watch yet??

I cant wait to try mine out. Now i can run anywhere and know all the stats.
Yup, I have a Garmin GPS watch, but not as new as yours.....I LOVE IT. I don't think I could run a longer distance without it now. I also don't use the heart monitor, just like to see how fast I'm running and how far I've run.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#8)
Do you need an eDUCATIon?

March 16, 2007, 07:29 PM

Good luck! I was actually training for a half marathon until I was diagnosed with patello femoral pain disorder. Oh, and you really do know how to do CTRL+A, CTRL+C, CTRL+V.

http://www.myspace.com/bitgoddess
1999 Ducati Monster 900s
2003 Suzuki SV650

Nubbs: You can play with my underwear, but don't f*** with my beer.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Site ADMIN

March 19, 2007, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatista
Good luck! I was actually training for a half marathon until I was diagnosed with patello femoral pain disorder. Oh, and you really do know how to do CTRL+A, CTRL+C, CTRL+V.

hey hey hey, not everyone over there reads here.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

March 19, 2007, 10:22 AM

I did pretty decent. My goals were to keep it under a 9 min/mile pace and under 2 hours.

I maintained an 8:30 pace and finisned with a 1:52 minutes. It was definately cold at 7am. 31 degrees on the beach was awsome. Once i got going i didnt feel it.

Having the watch really made a difference. Knowing my exact distance, pace and averages kept me entertained.

I was feeling good until 1.5 miles left and my left hamstring gave me trouble. Ive never had the type of cramp that puts you on your face like this. Luckily i felt it coming and hobbled to the side for 30 seconds. I wanted to finish off strong but every time i picked up the pace the cramp came back, so that was very frustrating.

I am majorly sore today. I am walking around like a gimpy old man.

I really cant see why anyone would want to run that distance twice for a full marathon. No thanks, 13.1 miles is good enough to me.

Ill post up the stats and moving map in a few.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#11)

March 19, 2007, 11:36 AM

Good job Spud and congrats on finishing!
Unread
  (#12)
Site ADMIN

March 19, 2007, 12:54 PM

Info and stats are below:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/2276320

Large google map

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:/...Values=2276320

Here is a link to see the map in motion.

IF you slow it down to .5, you can see where i slow down like a tard and grab water.

The last 1.5 is where my cramp kicked in and my pace goes to shit

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/player/2276320

You can play with the map and zoom in pretty far, if you hit play the map moves with the dot.

Alex
13 Honda Fury