DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 538
1 members and 537 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
My people are hurting
Unread
  (#1)
Fack yo pony...

Unhappy My people are hurting - June 13, 2008, 09:10 AM

If you've seen the news, that is my hometown under TWELVE FEET of water....

Cedar Rapids, IA. Parents okay; Best Friend and Best Friend's parents' are evacuated, and flooded out. No flood insurance because they live so facking far away, and who'da'thunk the water would EVER go that far?

I totally understand now how those with family and friends in MS and LA felt during/after Katrina hit.

Cedar Rapids is experiencing the worst flooding in the city’s history. And the water is still rising. By Thursday afternoon, the Cedar River was about 29 feet deep, or 17 feet above flood stage, according to the National Weather Service. The water was expected to rise another three feet by Friday morning, and reach a record crest, 12 feet higher than the previous record, set in 1851.
“Usually if you break a record, you only do it by an inch or two,” said Jeff Zogg, a hydrologist for the Weather Service in Davenport, Iowa. “But breaking it by six feet? That’s pretty amazing.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/13/us...55f&ei=5087%0A

Cedar Rapids Copes After Historic Flood
By Erick Stakelbeck

CBN News

June 13, 2008

CBNNews.com - WASHINGTON - One meteorologist has called it an historical event, but it's a piece of history Iowans would rather forget.

Nine rivers across their state have reached record flood levels due to days of heavy rains.[and record snowfalls over the winter. -zxy] And matters won't get easier for Iowa and other states in the upper Midwest in the days ahead.

A City Underwater
Fifty-five of Iowa's 99 counties have already been declared disaster areas. But the city of Cedar Rapids has been hit the hardest.

Days of pounding rains caused the Cedar River to overflow its banks, leaving at least 100 city blocks under water.
RELATED STORIES:
Midwest Flooding
Impacts the Economy

Deadly Tornado Hits
Boy Scout Camp

How Midwest Floods
Affect U.S. Consumers

U.S. Struggles through
Extreme Weather

Midwest Flooding
Washes Homes Away

Over 3,000 homes have been evacuated and at least 8,000 residents displaced by the flooding, which caused this railroad bridge to collapse.
"I slept outside last night. But I don't know where to go, man. I don't know where to go," Cedar Rapids resident Bassem Herz said.
Iowa's Gov. Charles Culver said, "I've never seen anything like it. And it's kind of heartbreaking, really, to see the destruction, to see families that have been impacted, the pain and suffering that comes along with it, the emotional impact that it has to be uprooted and to lose possessions and to lose homes."
So far, no deaths or serious injuries have been reported in the Hawkeye State. But flood damage covers much of eastern Iowa.

Residents Called to Evacuate
Officials in Des Moines are worried the Des Moines River will topple a nearby levee. They've urged residents to evacuate more than 200 homes north of downtown.
This Des Moines woman watched helplessly as the waters consumed her basement.
"It's moving really fast. 20 minutes it ago, it was 2 feet lower than that," exclaimed one woman as she watched the rising waters flood her home.
"We have more than 100 state roads that are closed, we have hundreds of county roads that are closed, dozens of bridges that are either completely destroyed, or certainly closed," Culver said.
The forecast looks bleak for the Upper Midwest over the next few days. Forecasters are predicting heavy rainfall and serious flooding along the Mississippi River, from Iowa into Missouri, Illinois and the Great Lakes region.
The conditions already have some residents calling this the heartland's Katrina.

More: http://www.gazetteonline.com/

Track: 2000 Suzuki SV650 Maintained by Chief Wildman

MARRC Safety Crew

Shenandoah Pictures

Before you attempt to set things right, make sure you see things right.
-- Blaine Lee

Last edited by ZXYBCH; June 13, 2008 at 10:59 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

June 13, 2008, 09:29 AM

Wow.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
The last urrbendah

June 13, 2008, 10:04 AM

I've always been amazed by the power of the Mississippi.

Here's a sign near Port Gibson, MS that shows the stages of various floods.

Here's my old K5 next to it for reference. This sign is about a mile from the river.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#4)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 13, 2008, 10:21 AM

Wow, that's sad. Hopefully it eases up soon.

BTW, Stillie, I fixed your picture.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02895s.JPG (82.2 KB, 89 views)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#5)
Banned!

June 13, 2008, 10:24 AM

My company along with myself will be coming to the rescue with FEMA!
Unread
  (#6)
The last urrbendah

June 13, 2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy

Ironically....I've never crashed a motorcycle in my home state.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
How to help people in Cedar Rapids
Unread
  (#7)
Fack yo pony...

How to help people in Cedar Rapids - June 13, 2008, 12:25 PM

Updated June 13. 2008 12:18PM

The Gazette

We have received many inquiries in how people on higher ground can help those in Cedar Rapids and other areas affected by the devastating and historic flood.

We, admittedly, don't have all the answers yet. But here is some information we can pass along. We will provide more information as it becomes available to us.

One idea is to use the 'article comment' feature below to tell people what is needed which can act as a community bulletin.

We, on behalf of the entire Eastern Iowa community, appreciate all of the people from across the county who have offered their support and condolences during this disaster.

Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Services Program
Inquiries regarding volunteer needs are being directed to 319-378-0337.

Viola Gibson Elementary School is serving as the base for The Army's ongoing mobile feeding operations throughout the Cedar Rapids community. The Army is continuing to provide food and hydration for displaced residents, volunteers, emergency workers and others in need.

Food and beverage donations are currently being accepted at Prairie High School, 401 76th Avenue SW, Cedar Rapids.

The Army is anticipating wide-spread devastation and long-term relief efforts. Cash donations are also now being accepted. Checks earmarked for flood relief can be mailed to The Salvation Army at P.O. Box 8056, Cedar Rapids, 52406. Donations can also be made by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY.

For more information on immediate and long-term financial needs, call The Army's Director of Development and Communications, Mindy Kayser, at 319-533-2334.

MARRC Safety Crew

Shenandoah Pictures

-- Blaine Lee
Unread
  (#8)
Fack yo pony...

June 13, 2008, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetFighter
My company along with myself will be coming to the rescue with FEMA!
Please take good care of them.

MARRC Safety Crew

Shenandoah Pictures

-- Blaine Lee
Unread
  (#9)
Banned!

June 13, 2008, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXYBCH
Please take good care of them.
yea the army corp of engineers are the ones we are supporting...
Unread
  (#10)
Fack yo pony...

June 13, 2008, 02:20 PM

Yeah, thank the gods my brother's National Guard unit came home from spending a YEAR in Iraq, so they can actually guard the homeland, and help in this disaster....there are 2400+ deployed across the state...

MARRC Safety Crew

Shenandoah Pictures

-- Blaine Lee
Unread
  (#11)
Site ADMIN

June 13, 2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddy

bwahahahahahahaha i fucking laughed for 5 min on that..

So sorry bout your family. what the fak is happening in the world?

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#12)
2 wheels for life

June 13, 2008, 06:02 PM

sorry to hear that
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
Fack yo pony...

June 13, 2008, 08:09 PM

Well, talked to my dad tonight; apparently, they believe it's crested, and is starting to drop, at least a couple inches.

There are SO many people SO facked. Thousands of homes, wrecked. The whole area is on water rationing, with the water plant operating at 25% capacity. Drinking only, no bathing, clothes washing, etc. At least a week before things are ...well, uh, they won't be "back to normal" again, not for a long time. Fixed? Operational?

Lots of areas, even non-flooded ones, without electricity, and likely to remain so, for at least a week.

The combination of record snowfall over the winter, heavy spring rains, and the current storm systems pulling moisture up from the Gulf led to all this; the ground has been so soggy the farmers haven't even started planting crops. Food shortage, people.

Speaking of, if you happen to like any Quaker Oats products, stock up on them now. The Plant is right on the river, and likely to be shut down for at least a month. Gonna be scarce for a while.

The early estimates of the damage: upwards of $700million.

MARRC Safety Crew

Shenandoah Pictures

-- Blaine Lee