DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 520
4 members and 516 guests
davidcycle, RideUniverse, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
My Sister Had A Stroke!
Unread
  (#1)
GDMFSOB

My Sister Had A Stroke! - October 7, 2009, 12:33 PM

Hey netters, thought I would share:
Then: A few years ago, my sister had a stroke at age 42. The diagnosis was not good at all! The docs said she would never walk or talk again, much less feed herself. IF she survived. When I flew down to TX a few days later, the only way I knew she recognized me was the look in her eyes. There was no other response.
Well, that was then....
Now: Due to excellent care, doctors, rehabilitation, my brother-in-law and a little luck, she can walk, talk, teach and DRIVE! I don't want this to turn into a political thread. *edit out anything remotely political*
Her husband Tim wrote a book about the struggles: Sara's Story. It chronicles their fight to overcome impossible odds; and an impossible insurance battle. Book sales benefit the National Stroke Association. I hope it helps others in similar situations.
See the FOX interview here:
http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/26748050/sara-s-story.htm#q=stroke

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.

Last edited by The Evil Twin; October 7, 2009 at 05:36 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG og

October 7, 2009, 12:38 PM

Sorry to hear about your sister.....but you do realize her insurance company could've dropped her for a stroke? They'll make up anything to cut off customers that are costly to their bottom lines. She wouldn't have to take the public option, she could've kept her insurance she already has. Regardless, good to hear she's alright. Strokes are scary and she seems to be lucky to have come out in good shape so +1.Can't wait to see what they can do with stem cells when the science evolves.

Last edited by b00st; October 7, 2009 at 01:18 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to b00st  
Unread
  (#3)
Groundhogs can play dead

October 7, 2009, 12:49 PM

Great story! My dad had a stroke when he was 45 with the same diagnosis. Never walk or talk again. The military promptly medically retired him. After re-learning simple math, reading, motor skills, he made a full recovery. Thankfully he was covered under the military health care and I was too young to realize everything else that went on behind the scenes (as far as insurance goes).

Thank you for sharing that story! I'm so happy she is making such a great recovery!

Tanya
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Out of Action

October 7, 2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Evil Twin View Post
Hey netters, thought I would share:
Then: A few years ago, my sister had a stroke at age 42. The diagnosis was not good at all! The docs said she would never walk or talk again, much less feed herself. IF she survived. When I flew down to TX a few days later, the only way I knew she recognized me was the look in her eyes. There was no other response.
Well, that was then....
Now: Due to excellent care, doctors, rehabilitation, my brother-in-law and a little luck, she can walk, talk, teach and DRIVE! I don't want this to turn into a political thread. However, if the current healthcare "reform" proposal was in place she would still be living in "then".
Her husband Tim wrote a book about the struggles: Sara's Story. It chronicles their fight to overcome impossible odds; and an impossible insurance battle. Book sales benefit the National Stroke Association. I hope it helps others in similar situations.
See the FOX interview here:
http://www.foxnews.com/search-results/m/26748050/sara-s-story.htm#q=stroke
Glad she is okay man.. great news.

Two points:
1) what about the health care reform means =-> then
2) linking to foxnews automatically means =-> not a fan of anything currently politically happening.

I just want to know what about this new proposal you are certain means "then".

*sigh*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to SLOride  
Unread
  (#5)
Give me the Ban Button!

October 7, 2009, 12:55 PM

It makes me so happy to hear these stories. I am happy for you and your family and nobody should evet count out human will when it comes to getting better.

Posting a Fox link doesnt help your cause at all. Fox news only reports what they want and I have found that most of what the reports is Crap if it is even that good.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#6)
Triple Secks

October 7, 2009, 02:25 PM

Good to hear your sister is recovered!

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#7)
GDMFSOB

October 7, 2009, 05:46 PM

Thanks, all. Proof that you can do what can't be done, if you put your mind to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nubbs View Post
Posting a Fox link doesnt help your cause at all. Fox news only reports what they want and I have found that most of what the reports is Crap if it is even that good.
Don't they all just report what they want? Awww, c'mon
Besides, the link was to show how well she came out, and bring attention to the book in hopes it may help someone in need. Not to prove/ disprove the pros/ cons of a bill.

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#8)
Fun Lover or lover of fun

October 8, 2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfinch View Post
Great story! My dad had a stroke when he was 45 with the same diagnosis. Never walk or talk again. The military promptly medically retired him. After re-learning simple math, reading, motor skills, he made a full recovery. Thankfully he was covered under the military health care and I was too young to realize everything else that went on behind the scenes (as far as insurance goes).

Thank you for sharing that story! I'm so happy she is making such a great recovery!
Tanya,
Your dad is a great guy. He is a valuable asset to anyone that should ever meet him. He would take the shirt off his back to help his fellow man. A lot of you do not realize this, but Tanya's Dad has won so many awards and medals for helping disabled veterans. I am proud to say that I work with him on a daily basis.

R.I.P. Eric. You were truly like a younger brother to me. May you live on in all those you helped and reached out to help. You are truly missed!

tfinch: well, actually, if he did, that's fine cause it's in the pockets!
tfinch
: Mike, can you feel bubbles floating around in there?

tfinch: Bubbles! Yes! Gurgly bubbles!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Timultuous  
Unread
  (#9)
Meh

October 8, 2009, 09:36 AM

Congrats and what a miracle.

Your sister and Brother-n-law (as well as the family) should be commended.

Everybody else putting in their 2 cents about fox and making it political when he asked it not to be...take this opportunity to STFU.