DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 501
1 members and 500 guests
fxc3700
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
N.Y.P.D. bills mom for dent in car that killed son
Unread
  (#1)
Ton Up!

N.Y.P.D. bills mom for dent in car that killed son - October 5, 2012, 07:01 PM

LULZ! New York's finest.

N.Y.P.D. bills mom for dent in police car that killed her son

~Justin

FREE FITZ!!!!

1999 Suzuki SV650
1982 Kawasaki GPz550 : RIP 4/16/09
1971 Honda CB450 : SOLD!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

October 5, 2012, 07:25 PM

Last I knew debt wasn't inherited by a family. Didn't that go out with Bastille day or something?

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#3)
Groping is a skill...

October 5, 2012, 11:23 PM

In NY anything is possible.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Your Ad Here

October 5, 2012, 11:56 PM

One of the NYPD cops who shot an innocent Sean Bell to death sued his estate for damages, pain and suffering he claimed he received after Sean Bell ran over his foot - while trying to get away - from being shot at by cops.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Site Owner

October 6, 2012, 10:12 AM

Am I the only one who doesn't see a problem with this?

So, taxpayers who obey the law should have to pay for damages caused by a criminal?

Other than the fact that I don't think family members are liable for another family member's damages... unless they are a minor?... Unless they are going after some of the life insurance (if they had any), which is understandable.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd

Last edited by ClemsonJeeper; October 6, 2012 at 10:14 AM..
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

October 6, 2012, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

So, taxpayers who obey the law should have to pay for damages caused by a criminal?

Other than the fact that I don't think family members are liable for another family member's damages... unless they are a minor?... Unless they are going after some of the life insurance (if they had any), which is understandable.
Its still under investigation, sorry but there is no excuse for running down someone (criminal) for stealing bricks and shit. This is typical NYC ridiculousness.
Unread
  (#7)
Groping is a skill...

October 6, 2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:

Regularly I would agree with you but they tax people so much in NYC that this should be included.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
Your Ad Here

October 6, 2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:

I do not necessarily disagree in principle Clemson, but to hand the family members a bill after they killed their son, who committed a misdemeanor offense, is tactless.

What next, should the NYPD shoot a criminal to death they in turn hand the surviving family members an invoice for the cost of the ammunition?

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Knarly Adventurer

October 6, 2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:

I agree with Clemson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_Jumper View Post
Its still under investigation, sorry but there is no excuse for running down someone (criminal) for stealing bricks and shit. This is typical NYC ridiculousness.
A great way to NOT get killed committing a petty crime...is to not steal shit.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#10)
S.R.W.J.T.S. Road Captain

October 6, 2012, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post
A great way to NOT get killed committing a petty crime...is to not steal shit.
So he deserved to die? I understand his petty theft to be considered a misdemeanor. So if were committing a different misdemeanor (intentionally or not) such as disorderly conduct, trespassing, or reckless driving (for example, excessive speeding on a motorcycle) that I might be killed by the police? That's a risk everyone should assume?

Safe Riders Who Just Talk Shit: Talk Nasty, Act Classy.

"It's true man. You ride more moderately by default . . ." - NoOtherIDs
"You sound like a very advanced rider McFly" - Slider
"I'm that Beast out here." - Circa Nice
Unread
  (#11)
S.R.W.J.T.S. Road Captain

October 6, 2012, 01:06 PM

I don't understand why the 27-year old who died, why his 45-year old mother would be responsible for any financial problems.

Safe Riders Who Just Talk Shit: Talk Nasty, Act Classy.

"It's true man. You ride more moderately by default . . ." - NoOtherIDs
"You sound like a very advanced rider McFly" - Slider
"I'm that Beast out here." - Circa Nice
Unread
  (#12)
Knarly Adventurer

October 6, 2012, 01:56 PM

We have had this discussion in a number of other threads.
My take is this...

You can not control the excessive use of force.
You can not control a police officer on a power trip with a quick trigger.
You can not stop any of these terrible an unjustified things from happening.

BUT what you can control... is NOT COMMITTING CRIMES and leaving yourself vulnerable to these terrible injustices.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

October 6, 2012, 03:42 PM

In essence this would be like someone grabbing my watch and me beating them to death, then suing their family cause I broke my hand.

While I'm all for someone getting punched for grabbing watches, I'm not so much in favor of people beating someone to death for it... especially if a very common reaction is to beat people to death. A gross over-reaction that has begun to define the protection and service of policemen. Adding the insult to the injury that resulted from over-reaction seems overboard.

I agree the tax payer shouldn't necessarily shoulder this burden. Perhaps charging the police officer for damaging a car while killing someone because he was stealing someones pebbles would train over-reacting officers that there are consequences to driving like a maniac... and I think an accidental killing by car would indicate someone was a little out of control... unless he ran him down on purpose.... then he was just a murderer.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.

Last edited by B; October 6, 2012 at 03:45 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ

October 6, 2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
In essence this would be like someone grabbing my watch and me beating them to death, then suing their family cause I broke my hand.

While I'm all for someone getting punched for grabbing watches, I'm not so much in favor of people beating someone to death for it... especially if a very common reaction is to beat people to death. A gross over-reaction that has begun to define the protection and service of policemen. Adding the insult to the injury that resulted from over-reaction seems overboard.

I agree the tax payer shouldn't necessarily shoulder this burden. Perhaps charging the police officer for damaging a car while killing someone because he was stealing someones pebbles would train over-reacting officers that there are consequences to driving like a maniac... and I think an accidental killing by car would indicate someone was a little out of control... unless he ran him down on purpose.... then he was just a murderer.
This^ exactly!
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

October 6, 2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFly View Post
So he deserved to die? I understand his petty theft to be considered a misdemeanor. So if were committing a different misdemeanor (intentionally or not) such as disorderly conduct, trespassing, or reckless driving (for example, excessive speeding on a motorcycle) that I might be killed by the police? That's a risk everyone should assume?
Yes. If you run from the cops, you should expect that death may be a result. Does not mean the cops are going to kill you, but you are playing in traffic which is deadly enough at normal speeds. This guy was run over while running on foot. I guess he was not running through an apartment hallway. More likely he was running across, through, over, in a streeet, road, thoroughfare, highway, etc. Playing Frogger IRL may result in death.

Yes, I just dated myself.

The article said the bill was mailed to the son. So the son is being billed for the damage. Very reasonable. Unfortunately someone did not double check to see if he was alive. Whether or not the letter ACTUALLY said the family would be sued we don't know. It may well have said, "You will be liable for civil action in court yadda yadda yadda" and the family spun it as they are being sued.

I can understand them being upset over it even if it reads that way. But maybe they should not have raised a shithead for a son.