DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 524
0 members and 524 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
NAS- Video server advice
Unread
  (#1)
Silence... I keeeel you

NAS- Video server advice - November 27, 2016, 09:14 PM

I have a plex server. Right now it's just a dedicated desktop with a 256GB SSD for the OS and programs, and a 4TB HDD to house the data. As I get more vids, and HD and 4K make file sizes larger and larger, I'm looking to add more storage.

It's small form so I don't really have room to add another HDD inside. So I was thinking of doing a NAS.

Actually, Ideally, I'd re-purpose a spare laptop to run PLEX (simply for power savings) and use the NAS (or whatever) for storage. I know you can run PLEX straight off a NAS, but I do a lot of trans coding as everyone in my circle has different devices. Most NAS don't seem to have the HP for that.

My other concern is would be having the NAS separate cause too much network traffic? Maybe a USB array instead of NAS (SO USBAS? ) If that's a thing.

It's a video server, so I don't need high end stuff. But I do want to be able to upgrade in the future. A RAID would be nice so I don't have to backup as often. But if it's cost prohibitive I can back up with USB drives.

I appreciate any input you can give.

Then again... That's just me.

On the internet... Everyone is an expert.

And now...The dancing Banana:
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Silence... I keeeel you

November 27, 2016, 09:17 PM

Maybe I should just buy a desktop with multiple HDD bays?

Unread
  (#3)
Railing!

November 27, 2016, 09:35 PM

I have a relatively powerful desktop that runs Plex. I use SnapRAID for drive redundancy and Stablebit Drivepool to pull the drives together into a single logical volume. Total usable capacity is only 6TB which is nothing these days, but it started from a single 2TB drive which I still use. I'm up to four 2 TB drives now, one of which being the parity drive. If I need more space, I just add another cheap drive. Someday I might add two parity drives for better redundancy. I still back up to a 5TB external drive occasionally just for extra insurance. It has come in handy when I accidentally delete something and don't realize it for a while.

SnapRAID needs a little setup, but the ability to expand one drive at a time is great. It's also free. Drivepool is stupid easy to use with a great UI and is only $30. Not sure if the new storage spaces features in Win10 provide the same functionality. If so, that would be a way to save $30.

If you're buying a new case, the Fractal Design R5 is pretty sweet with room for lots of drives and large fans that help keep things quiet.
Unread
  (#4)
Mommy's Little Monster

November 28, 2016, 08:57 AM

Well, what's your budget? I've got an 8-bay QNAP TVS-871, which currently has 4x3Tb drives in it with a RAID6 configuration. I used to have an older desktop that was my download station, storage, and Plex server in one, but it was sort of a hodge-podge of parts and would freeze up fairly regularly. That had two 1Tb drives striped, so no redundancy.

I got the QNAP and it's more than powerful enough to transcode multiple streams on the 'make my cpu hurt' setting on the Plex server. It now runs other vm's at home, SickRage, Couch Potato, and Plex. No issues whatsoever. Not cheap, but worth it.

paging Dark....

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#5)
Silence... I keeeel you

November 28, 2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8nsanta View Post
Well, what's your budget? I've got an 8-bay QNAP TVS-871, which currently has 4x3Tb drives in it with a RAID6 configuration. I used to have an older desktop that was my download station, storage, and Plex server in one, but it was sort of a hodge-podge of parts and would freeze up fairly regularly. That had two 1Tb drives striped, so no redundancy.

I got the QNAP and it's more than powerful enough to transcode multiple streams on the 'make my cpu hurt' setting on the Plex server. It now runs other vm's at home, SickRage, Couch Potato, and Plex. No issues whatsoever. Not cheap, but worth it.

paging Dark....
The TVS-871 is not in the budget. The desktop I have now works flawlessly. It's just running out of storage quickly. Especially now that I bought a new TV and want higher quality videos. I also run Sonarr, Sabnzb, and occasionally Deluge (if I can't find what I'm looking for on newsgroups) on it.

I'd love a RAID. Hot swap redundancy would be cool. But I can't justify spending thousands on hardware for a video server.

Unread
  (#6)
Mommy's Little Monster

November 28, 2016, 10:37 AM

I mean, you could get a smaller NAS and use it for storage only if you're fine with your desktop still acting at the Plex server. Could probably find a good deal on a 4bay NAS and then decide what RAID and then what kind of drives you want to run. Since I'm doing RAID6 I'm just running standard desktop drives. I felt that running WD Red drives while in RAID6 was a little overkill.

2018 BMW R1200 GS
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
2014 Honda CB500X
2007 Suzuki DRZ 400SM
2007 Suzuki GSXR 600
Unread
  (#7)
Silence... I keeeel you

November 28, 2016, 11:03 AM

That's what I'm thinking. I've been looking at 4 bay NASs. Use a laptop I have laying around to run the server and other software. You don't think I'll be running too much network traffic? I do sometimes stream 2 maybe 3 videos simultaneously. Not all the time. But often enough.

Been eyeing this 4 bay on amazon. Thoughts?:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LB0E9B4..._t3_B015JQAWW0

Unread
  (#8)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 28, 2016, 02:00 PM

How many 'users' do you share plex out to?
How many transcodes do you see in a day?
What processor is in your current system?
Are you looking for some storage redundancy or do you already have a 'backup' solution?

I'm in a similar boat as sk8nsanta, I run an 8-bay qnap that serves most of my homes needs (plex (30+ users), backups, file share) that syncs with a remote qnap at the in-laws. Some days I'll see 20+ transcodes and a handful of direct play/direc streams. Overall, far more efficient then the Dell R730xd it replaced.

You could look at an inexpensive raid card and simply create a larger array, as long as your system can support an add-on card and additional drives.

-Ryan

Last edited by Dark; November 28, 2016 at 02:02 PM..
Unread
  (#9)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

November 28, 2016, 03:21 PM

The network bandwidth shouldn't be a concern, but if it is you could always have a separate storage network for between the NAS and the server

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
Unread
  (#10)
AMSOIL/NGK Dealer

November 28, 2016, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post
That's what I'm thinking. I've been looking at 4 bay NASs. Use a laptop I have laying around to run the server and other software. You don't think I'll be running too much network traffic? I do sometimes stream 2 maybe 3 videos simultaneously. Not all the time. But often enough.

I use this exact model for work and it supports a team of 10-20 users and we easily have between 1-2 TB of data on it. So far has been very reliable.

CCS #133 AM

For all of your oil and filtration needs go to www.dc-moto.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to DC-MOTO Send a message via AIM to DC-MOTO  
Unread
  (#11)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 28, 2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnknmnky13 View Post

That model only supports 2.5" drives (unless that's what you want) and looks to be Marvell powered.

I'd suggest spending just a little more on this model: https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-451-P...eywords=ts-451

It's powerful enough to handle your 2 streams (maybe more) if you didn't want to offload to a laptop/desktop. Otherwise, you'll easily saturate a 1Gb connection via cif/iscsi.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#12)
Silence... I keeeel you

November 29, 2016, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
That model only supports 2.5" drives (unless that's what you want) and looks to be Marvell powered.

I'd suggest spending just a little more on this model: https://www.amazon.com/QNAP-TS-451-P...eywords=ts-451

It's powerful enough to handle your 2 streams (maybe more) if you didn't want to offload to a laptop/desktop. Otherwise, you'll easily saturate a 1Gb connection via cif/iscsi.
Perfect. Thanks. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but that should future proof me for a while. I have 10ish people hitting my server. Although it's pretty rare I see more than 1-2 streaming at the same time.

Thanks to everybody that posted.

Unread
  (#13)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 29, 2016, 08:41 AM

If you don't have extra memory sitting around for it then I should have either a 2GB or 4GB stick that you can have to upgrade the ram.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#14)
Silence... I keeeel you

November 29, 2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
If you don't have extra memory sitting around for it then I should have either a 2GB or 4GB stick that you can have to upgrade the ram.
I have some. But appreciate the offer.

On a side note, the HTPC I bought from you is still chugging along nicely.

Unread
  (#15)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 29, 2016, 10:35 AM

-Ryan