DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 564
3 members and 561 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6, Nobrains
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Near annapolis/arnold MD?
Unread
  (#1)
Semper Fi

Near annapolis/arnold MD? - July 8, 2008, 12:59 AM

Ok... So i'm still pretty new to the maintenance of bike. Especially goin from an 04 to an 08. Just wondering if anyone lives near arnold maryland and can help me out one day for a few hours do a once over? I know i needa get my chain tightened a lil bit.

Reason i'm askin is because i am currently just out of the marine corps. I lived in the barracks, and now i'm living in a actual place. Don't have the tools or equipment, let alone a bike stand to even start checking things.

any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Lyman2134  
Unread
  (#2)
Knee Draggin!

July 8, 2008, 01:20 AM

If nobody else is closer, I live in Chesapeake Beach (on the week days), just of of Rt. 2, south of Annapolis by about 20 minutes. Shoot me a PM if you interested.

Charlie
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Semper Fi

July 8, 2008, 01:31 AM

For sure.. if i don't get any other hits, i'll pm you. What times durin the week are good for you?
Unread
  (#4)
Knee Draggin!

July 8, 2008, 01:36 AM

Any time after 5:30 or so.

Charlie
Unread
  (#5)
Semper Fi

July 8, 2008, 01:38 AM

cool.. i'll letcha know...
Unread
  (#6)
Semper Fi

July 8, 2008, 11:48 AM

anyone else? Looks like i'll be callin you donniecs
Unread
  (#7)
TEAM.SUKUZI

July 8, 2008, 11:58 AM

u live too far.

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#8)
Semper Fi

July 8, 2008, 12:07 PM

yeah.. it sucks sometimes.... but as soon as i find a job, i'm moveing to where ever it is... I'm still gettin marine corps pay check..
Unread
  (#9)
TEAM.SUKUZI

July 8, 2008, 12:10 PM

u know...u can just take it to a shop and they'll tighten your chain for like $15. I'm lazy, but then thats just me. As far as maintenance, i do it in my garage at night...ur welcome to do so if u ride out here.

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#10)
Semper Fi

July 8, 2008, 12:21 PM

Yeah. i can't wait to move and get my own place. Been looking at renting a house. like 800 bucks. I think i'm goin to call the local shop and jus see how a once over would cost. I already changed the oil... so maybe they'll jus charge me for the chain.
Unread
  (#11)
got barrier?

July 8, 2008, 01:23 PM

My other place in in Clinton, Md but that is still 45 min from you

annapolis is a great area though

DUCATI MONSTER
rubber ducky?!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to dubplaya  
Unread
  (#12)
I am a bitch, so what?

July 8, 2008, 01:31 PM

We're in Frederick. Not much closer, but you can always come out for a ride afterwards.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#13)
GP Racer

July 8, 2008, 02:48 PM

Not trying to be a know-it-all, but I think ever rider should own a few basic tools and a rear stand, at the very least. Tightening a chain takes literally 5 minutes, a couple of large sockets for the rear axle nuts, a small socket to turn the adjusters and a ruler to measure the play. Once you've done it a few times, you won't need the ruler anymore. it's not rocket science.

Go down to the nearest Sears and get yourself a few metric sockets, metric allen set, a torque wrench, a few screwdrivers and a set of Bulldog stands(start with the rear) and you'll save a ton of money in the long run and develop a deeper understanding of how your bike works. It'll make you a better rider. It's actually kind of fun too and the feeling of accomplishment is very rewarding.

Just be careful, the bonds between man and machine can become too strong. I still have a '98 mx bike that I just can't seem to part with - although the fact that it's 10yrs old and a 2-stroke make it a tough sell, but as many hours as I've spent on that machine, I'm convinced she has a soul.
Unread
  (#14)
Semper Fi

July 8, 2008, 04:01 PM

it's kinda hard to go out and purchase stuff.. Jus gettin out of the marine corps, goin from barracks living to house living after 4 years.. kinda different.. On top of that, i only got 1 parking space, and that's for my truck. No garage no nothing, jus 1 parking space... and my bike is in the back of my truck. I'm lookin for a new place to live.. Gotta wait and see how the jobs come along first though... Thanks for the advice though... I know exactly what you are talking about. When i had my SRT-4, i worked on it in the parking garage, when i wasn't even suppose to, and i learned a lot about the car. Any time i put somethin new on the car, i had 2 or 3 guys that've already done a mod like mine to help me. So far, the bike, haven't had ne one actually teach me...