DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 595
1 members and 594 guests
scarab
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Need to borrow a stick shift Cage
Unread
  (#1)
Site ADMIN

Need to borrow a stick shift Cage - May 13, 2008, 01:29 PM

Does anyone have an older vehicle that is a stick shift that I can borrow for a weekend? Sat/Sun or one of the days?

We will be getting delivery of a new vehicle soon that is a stick shift, and my wife doesnt know how to drive a manual.

I was hoping to borrow a car for her to practice with at a parking lot, and back neighborhood roads before getting a NEW car and ripping the transmission out.

Since it is your car, you can hang out the whole time and help with the lessons, etc. I'll buy you (beer, pizza, lunch) whatever is your fancy...

We live near woodbridge high school, so was going to use the Driver training track there for teaching her how to drive...

FYI, I tried looking up renting a car, but no one in the area rents cars that is a stick shift.

Thanks for the consideration.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#2)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

May 13, 2008, 01:36 PM

Y'know, if I had my old Saturn, I'd teach her myself. (Spud, spouses should NOT teach spouses how to drive stick shifts, btw) I taught one of my gfs to drive a stick in that car. It had a clutch as gentle as a 250 Daddy has that car, now, though.

But my new car is a sports car with a tendency to squeal the tires if you're not careful. I won't even let my newly taught gf drive that thing.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Site ADMIN

May 13, 2008, 01:42 PM

soo true.. I had a ford ranger stick when we first started dating and i took her a couple times already. She didnt get mad at me..course we wernt married then. haha

Yeah, she didnt want to drive the M3 before I sold it. She said she was too scared..

*sigh

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#4)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

May 13, 2008, 01:43 PM

She's not scared of the car. She's scared of your reaction to her grinding gears in your car.

TRUST me, get someone else to teach her.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

May 13, 2008, 01:45 PM

Spud, call all the rental car companies in your area. You won't have to worry about your friend's transmission that way. That's how I learned -- rented a stick

Talk nerdy to me

It's not how many times you get knocked down,
it's how many times you get back up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Site ADMIN

May 13, 2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster
Spud, call all the rental car companies in your area. You won't have to worry about your friend's transmission that way. That's how I learned -- rented a stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud

FYI, I tried looking up renting a car, but no one in the area rents cars that is a stick shift.

Thanks for the consideration.

I quoted myself.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#7)
I hate Hybrid drivers

May 13, 2008, 01:53 PM

you should just use the new car. It has a warranty.
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

May 13, 2008, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud
I quoted myself.

As all the greats do!

Good luck!

Talk nerdy to me

It's not how many times you get knocked down,
it's how many times you get back up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#9)
Owner of the Site Owner

May 13, 2008, 01:57 PM

i taught my brother and some ex's and friends.. never had them stall or grind gears when i taught them.

just got to be patient.

first thing I teach them is the give point, that is really the most difficult part

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#10)
Site ADMIN

May 13, 2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636
you should just use the new car. It has a warranty.

Alex
13 Honda Fury
Unread
  (#11)
> 6'3" need not apply!

May 13, 2008, 02:26 PM

That is what I was going to suggest. I taught my son how to drive his 2003 Jetta, which was covered bumper to bumper for 2 years. He could do whatever he wanted to in that time period. He can drive it perfectly now, even with MOM teaching him!!

Stacey
Blue 2005 SV650S (totaled)

Unread
  (#12)
Owner & Creator

May 13, 2008, 03:04 PM

I'm the worst teacher. I used to have a RHD integra and it was turbo. My xgf didn't know how to drive stick and worst part of it was that the steering wheel was on the right side. You should see me in the car teaching her how to drive the car in 10 minutes in rock creek parkway at 10pm at night.

All it takes is some yelling and OMG your going to get us killed, your over the yellow line.

RHD cars you need to compensate and remember you have moved almost 2 ft over.
Unread
  (#13)
Fair Weather Rider

May 13, 2008, 03:05 PM

Might be a good idea she doesn't know how to drive the new car, means you have it all for yourself!
Unread
  (#14)
Site ADMIN

May 13, 2008, 03:09 PM

no getting around that. she wants to drive the car to vist her freind in bethesda and other areas...

I was hoping someone was still driving an old toyota or something that has a stick shift that is pretty much bullet proof.

Alex
13 Honda Fury

Last edited by spud; May 13, 2008 at 03:15 PM..
Unread
  (#15)
Owner & Creator

May 13, 2008, 03:11 PM

Rob has a M3