DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
3 members and 520 guests
boomboom929, nootherids, Sal_the_man
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Need computer help
Unread
  (#1)
Don't ask me,I'm Canadian

Need computer help - August 28, 2008, 04:02 PM

I'll only call Toshiba/Microsoft as a last ditch resort.I hate customer service.

So here's my problem.I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop a month ago.It has Vista.From the very first day,every time I turn off my laptop,it turn's off,then a few minutes later it turn's back on by itself.I used The Google and all the problems I found were people shutting down and getting a blue screen.My laptop will totally shut down.I read how some people thought it was from add-ons like a wireless mouse,as I have,but I didn't add the mouse until the next day,so I eliminated that.All drivers are up to date,etc.

Any ideas?

ALL MY HEROES ARE RUSSIAN...GO CAPS!

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG - screw face

August 28, 2008, 04:12 PM

check the timers and stuff...you can set laptops to turn on/off at certain times..just the same as you can set programs to run at certain times. IE antivirus scan programs.

but that doesn't explain why it happens EVERY time....check to make sure ur on/off button isn't stuck or something.

let the battery run completely dead...then when it shuts off on it's own...plug it in. If it turns on...something is wrong with your switch.

PM Ceaton - he works for geeks on call and drives that dumbass beetle car hahaha

...ugh..the "blue screen of death" = not cool - at that point..might as well dump and start over with the "your shit is screwed" disc.
Unread
  (#3)
FASTER

August 28, 2008, 04:30 PM

What happens if you do not do a shut down and just hold the button down until it turns all the way off and release the button. Does it turn back on then?

After it shuts down and restarts itself do you then just tell it to shut down again? Does it do the same thing all over again?

So the very first time you shut it down before making any changes it did the automatic restart? Sounds like a hardware issue and not a software issue. Toshiba will probably be the only one that can help you with that for free atleast cause it is sounds like a faulty part.

Favorite thing on my bike: the miles I put on it
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JUSTGO  
Unread
  (#4)
Owner & Creator

August 28, 2008, 04:51 PM

Too much redtube.com

System board/fan.

I'm on bberry right now too lazy to read all of it.
Unread
  (#5)
Vroooom Vroooom

August 28, 2008, 04:57 PM

Does it power back on after a few minutes every time you turn it off....or occasionally?

Try powering it off, and then pulling out the battery. Throw the battery back in after a while..to see if it powers back on.

That should help you figure out if it is a because of a timer or some other hardware related issue.
Unread
  (#6)

August 28, 2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSTGO
What happens if you do not do a shut down and just hold the button down until it turns all the way off and release the button. Does it turn back on then?

After it shuts down and restarts itself do you then just tell it to shut down again? Does it do the same thing all over again?

So the very first time you shut it down before making any changes it did the automatic restart? Sounds like a hardware issue and not a software issue. Toshiba will probably be the only one that can help you with that for free atleast cause it is sounds like a faulty part.
It will shut off for good then.Problem is,I spend 15 minutes trying to connect to the internet after I power back up.I unplug my modem and reset the IP several times,so I avoid doing that.

Well you see, Norm, itís like thisÖA herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.-Cliff Claven

Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

August 30, 2008, 10:19 AM

Please delete your WTF folder and your addon folder from your UI folder

2001 GSXR 1000 (The bike that lit the afterburner on the liter class world)
2012 Monster 1100 Evo
2003 Yamaha YZFR6 (track only)

mmm... carbon fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by No One Ever
Awesome Prius!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to skwidrific Send a message via AIM to skwidrific  
Unread
  (#8)
SMB
sans motor bike

August 30, 2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H5OH
I'll only call Toshiba/Microsoft as a last ditch resort.I hate customer service.

So here's my problem.I bought a Toshiba Satellite laptop a month ago.It has Vista.From the very first day,every time I turn off my laptop,it turn's off,then a few minutes later it turn's back on by itself.I used The Google and all the problems I found were people shutting down and getting a blue screen.My laptop will totally shut down.I read how some people thought it was from add-ons like a wireless mouse,as I have,but I didn't add the mouse until the next day,so I eliminated that.All drivers are up to date,etc.

Any ideas?
get rid of vista....if not then =

check that when you push the power button that it is not set to hibernate rather than power off....
Unread
  (#9)

August 30, 2008, 06:03 PM

Make sure that your nic isn't set to: Allow this device to wake the computer.

BTW - when you go to shut down via the menus what are you selecting? Are you actually clicking on the words 'shut down' (by clicking the arrow to the right of the lock icon) or the power switch icon that puts the machine iinto memory and a low-power state?

also check this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927821

Last edited by Blue-R; August 30, 2008 at 06:51 PM..
Unread
  (#10)

August 30, 2008, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-R
Make sure that your nic isn't set to: Allow this device to wake the computer.

BTW - when you go to shut down via the menus what are you selecting? Are you actually clicking on the words 'shut down' (by clicking the arrow to the right of the lock icon) or the power switch icon that puts the machine iinto memory and a low-power state?

also check this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927821
I click shut down.

I went to the Microsoft link.I unchecked "Allow this device to wake the computer"

Crossing my fingers.

Last edited by C2H5OH; August 30, 2008 at 07:23 PM..
Unread
  (#11)

August 30, 2008, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I click shut down.What is a nic?
Network Interface Card.

Go to the Start Button/Control Panel -in the new window if the words Control Panel Home are bold then click on: View Network Status and Tasks

If Classic View is bold then click on: Network and Sharing Center

Now in the left pane of the Network and Sharing Center click on:
Manage Network Connections

In this new window do the following to both Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection:

Right click on the above Icon then left click on Properties

In this window you will see a Configure button, click on it and it will open a new window.

Select the Power Management tab.

You want to have the following UNChecked: Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
If right below that is checked (Allow this device to wake the computer) you may have to check the above box first, then uncheck 'Allow this device to wake the computer', then uncheck to the top box.

Good Luck.
Unread
  (#12)
PewPew

August 30, 2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:

Any ideas?
trash it and buy a mac

Sounds like hardware is turning it on... a paired cell phone can wake / turn on computer.

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost  
Unread
  (#13)

August 30, 2008, 07:52 PM

I need to try a MAC....
Unread
  (#14)
PewPew

August 30, 2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-R
I need to try a MAC....
I swear by them now. I started using them when I started architectural drafting and deisgn back in 2002, will NEVER go back to a microsoft based PC. I've had numerous HP laptops take a and die on me after 8 - 10 months of use, my macbook pro is 2 years and some change in age and still running like new. Only thing that sucks is the batteries for the macbooks only have a lifespan of about a year,

R.I.P. Eric "TheIrishGuy"

"Will you carry me down the aisle that final day
With your tears and cold hands shaking from the weight
When you lower me down beneath that sky of gray
Let the rain fall down and wash away your pain"

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to NoVaGhost