DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 448
5 members and 443 guests
2blueyam, HotRod1200, legendindisguise, Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Need External HD Recovered... Any Recommendations?
Unread
  (#1)
I'm Taking Over!
 
Bofessional's Avatar
 
Posts: 285
Join Date: April 25, 2008
Location: Sterling, VA
Need External HD Recovered... Any Recommendations? - August 10, 2009, 09:17 AM

My buddy's External Hard Drive failed...

Needless to say, he needs it recovered.

Any idea who in the area can do this? and how high of a percentage can they recover the files from a busted HD?

He had a friend try to recover it (not Me)but was unsuccessful.

So any recommendations are appreciated.

Thanks!


04 R6 & (0OO \ (||||)(||||) / OO0)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bofessional Send a message via AIM to Bofessional  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓
 
Dark's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,213
Join Date: March 10, 2008
August 10, 2009, 09:19 AM

does it click when you plug it in to a power source?


-Ryan
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
I'm Taking Over!
 
Bofessional's Avatar
 
Posts: 285
Join Date: April 25, 2008
Location: Sterling, VA
August 10, 2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
does it click when you plug it in to a power source?
Not sure, I dont have the HD in hand yet. All I know is that his buddy toook it to his work, and gave it to their IT guys to try and figure out. but no luck for them. Hopefully they didnt jack it up.


04 R6 & (0OO \ (||||)(||||) / OO0)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bofessional Send a message via AIM to Bofessional  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
Full spin ahead.
 
scarab's Avatar
 
Posts: 885
Join Date: June 20, 2004
Location: Great Frozen North
August 10, 2009, 09:22 AM

If it's clicking and/or the platters need to be removed for recovery, I can recommend these guys: http://www.datarecoverycorp.com/

They were reasonably quick and got pretty much all of my data back. This is after I brought it to a local place and they said it's not recoverable.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓
 
Dark's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,213
Join Date: March 10, 2008
August 10, 2009, 09:25 AM

Data recovery agencies normally charge a lot of money, be prepared to pay hundreds to get this done even though it's one of the only chances of a good recovery.


-Ryan
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
TPG - screw face
 
Oneway's Avatar
 
Posts: 6,720
Join Date: June 17, 2008
Location: Manassas
August 10, 2009, 09:49 AM

.22 seconds

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=f&oq=&aqi=g10

youtube has some step-by-step vids too

best buy is stupid expensive

best bet is to use the "no data, no charge" companies...anywhere from $100-200 (IE, www.dtidata.com)

Last edited by Oneway; August 10, 2009 at 09:54 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
I'm a llama again!
 
Slider's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,318
Join Date: April 12, 2007
Location: Alexandria
August 10, 2009, 09:52 AM

Also Ontrack in Reston is really good. But expensive.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
Speed Safely
 
shadowcat's Avatar
 
Posts: 387
Join Date: July 28, 2009
Location: Alexandria, VA
August 10, 2009, 09:56 AM

if it's strictly a non-mechanical/electrical issue, then there are a lot of recovery applications that can do it for you, some inexpensive, some demo-ware. If it's electrical, your friend can try to do a circuit board replacement with a known good drive and recover the data that way. If it's mechanical, then you will have to send it to a data recovery place. I've had to do all three at some point in my IT career... Just remember, only go to a legit data recovery place, where you know the data will not be "misused or misappropriated."


2004 Honda CBR 600RR Black/Silver (sold after 42K miles)
2010 BMW S1000RR Thunder Grey

Pinoy, and proud of it!

Stapp's Law: The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
I'm Taking Over!
 
Bofessional's Avatar
 
Posts: 285
Join Date: April 25, 2008
Location: Sterling, VA
August 10, 2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab View Post
If it's clicking and/or the platters need to be removed for recovery, I can recommend these guys: http://www.datarecoverycorp.com/

They were reasonably quick and got pretty much all of my data back. This is after I brought it to a local place and they said it's not recoverable.
Thanks, I'll get it in hand to see if I can do some initial Trouble Shooting just to see if ican isolate the problem some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
Data recovery agencies normally charge a lot of money, be prepared to pay hundreds to get this done even though it's one of the only chances of a good recovery.
I guess it is what it is, He'll have to pay up...


Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneway View Post

best bet is to use the "no data, no charge" companies...anywhere from $100-200 (IE, www.dtidata.com)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
Also Ontrack in Reston is really good. But expensive.
I'll look into that as well. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcat View Post
if it's strictly a non-mechanical/electrical issue, then there are a lot of recovery applications that can do it for you, some inexpensive, some demo-ware. If it's electrical, your friend can try to do a circuit board replacement with a known good drive and recover the data that way. If it's mechanical, then you will have to send it to a data recovery place. I've had to do all three at some point in my IT career... Just remember, only go to a legit data recovery place, where you know the data will not be "misused or misappropriated."
Good points! Thanks!


04 R6 & (0OO \ (||||)(||||) / OO0)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Bofessional Send a message via AIM to Bofessional  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
Owner & Creator
 
Carnage's Avatar
 
Posts: 16,418
Join Date: June 11, 2003
Location: TROLL WORLD
August 10, 2009, 10:28 AM

I use some chinese data recovery tool that works on some of the most busted hdd's and it works.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer
 
Kayaus's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,319
Join Date: June 11, 2009
Location: ALABAMA
August 10, 2009, 11:16 AM

PM sent


Yamaha FZ8
Husqvarna TE310R ---
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.