DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 505
3 members and 502 guests
2blueyam, davidcycle, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Need held deciding if this is a good idea --- car rims related
Unread
  (#1)
Im Always Down to Ride

Need held deciding if this is a good idea --- car rims related - January 28, 2013, 01:01 PM

So right now I have 2 sets of rims. My factory set and a aftermarket set of chrome rims.

So I need tires for the chrome set and I took them off for the winter to go back to the factory set until the spring/summer.

Idea - I am thinking about selling my factory set of 17s with TPMS that have good tread wear on them but they do have some cupping due to silly ass Hogan and Sons herndon employees not knowing their jobs. But other than that, they are solid. I am thinking about using those funds to get tires for the 18s. The reason I even took the 18s off is because they were chrome and I wanted them to not be ate up by the salt and weather. But I have a friend who has actually plasti-dipped his chrome rims for the past few years to protect them during the winter and he has not had any issues at all. He just peels off the plasti-dip when the winter season is over.

Do you all think this is logical. Basically, what I am saying is if I can keep one set of rims all year round, why not? That way I don't have to go through the switching off and reprogramming TPMS and all. Have you ever heard of plasti-dipping your rims for protection?

Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?

Speed kills, ride a Yamaha!

MotorSport/PowerSport Auctions
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

January 28, 2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bds120 View Post
So right now I have 2 sets of rims. My factory set and a aftermarket set of chrome rims.

So I need tires for the chrome set and I took them off for the winter to go back to the factory set until the spring/summer.

Idea - I am thinking about selling my factory set of 17s with TPMS that have good tread wear on them but they do have some cupping due to silly ass Hogan and Sons herndon employees not knowing their jobs. But other than that, they are solid. I am thinking about using those funds to get tires for the 18s. The reason I even took the 18s off is because they were chrome and I wanted them to not be ate up by the salt and weather. But I have a friend who has actually plasti-dipped his chrome rims for the past few years to protect them during the winter and he has not had any issues at all. He just peels off the plasti-dip when the winter season is over.

Do you all think this is logical. Basically, what I am saying is if I can keep one set of rims all year round, why not? That way I don't have to go through the switching off and reprogramming TPMS and all. Have you ever heard of plasti-dipping your rims for protection?

Yes, do them off car and make sure the surface is perfectly clean or it will peel up. Also at 6 bucks a can its a nice protectant.
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

January 28, 2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:

i've heard of plasti dipping the wheels/emblems/etc. It seems to adhere well enough. haven't heard of any issues with it peeling, and only chipping/scratching if you well... really chip it or scratch it. and when you do go to remove it, it comes off super clean. seeing as how it is a barrier between the road crud and your wheels i don't really see how it wouldn't work as protection.
\endusefulinfo

that said your wheels look like ass. sell those ghetto fabulous eye sores and run stock.
Unread
  (#4)
Im Always Down to Ride

January 28, 2013, 01:26 PM

Whats so ghetto? Because the are chrome 5 stars. I respect your opinion. Just wondering what makes them ghetto? They are not large, they are not sticking out, they are actually more smooth riding than my factory. But to each its own.

Thanks for the plasti dip response bro

Unread
  (#5)
SRWJTS Recruiter

January 28, 2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Whats so ghetto? Because the are chrome 5 stars. I respect your opinion. Just wondering what makes them ghetto?
(Chrome) Rims on a Hyundai

"Remember you may love your bike but your bike doesn't love you and that bitch will kill you the first time you do her wrong."

MARRC Cornerworker
http://www.marrc.org/

2010 Triumph Daytona 675 SE
2006 Yamaha R6 - Anniversary Edition - SOLD
2005 Yamaha R6 - SOLD
2001 Yamaha YZF600R - SOLD
Unread
  (#6)
Stand Collector

January 28, 2013, 01:46 PM

899 Panigale
Unread
  (#7)
Im Always Down to Ride

January 28, 2013, 01:49 PM

Actually my factory ones were chrome...dead serious.

**Not my pic but these are the OEM Chrome

I had them switch to the alloy because they wanted me to pay like an extra 2K for them when I bought the car. I have probably only seen 4 or 5 with the OEM Chrome ones probably because they wanted so much extra for them. I would have kept them if they were talking reasonable price.

Last edited by bds120; January 28, 2013 at 01:53 PM..
Unread
  (#8)
Im Always Down to Ride

January 28, 2013, 01:57 PM

Now this....pure ignorant. This I completely disagree with.

Unread
  (#9)
GP Racer

January 28, 2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Whats so ghetto? Because the are chrome 5 stars. I respect your opinion. Just wondering what makes them ghetto? They are not large, they are not sticking out, they are actually more smooth riding than my factory. But to each its own.

Thanks for the plasti dip response bro
those rims are too gawdy for me. and that's only accentuated by the fact that you're dressing up a pretty normal everyday sedan. all my opinion. like you said to each his own, i was really only giving you a hard time. plasti-dip should work, and it's pretty easy to apply. maybe take them out of the cold when applying for better curing.