DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 541
2 members and 539 guests
CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Need help - I bought a used car, Check engine light for the 3rd time in the first 30
Unread
  (#1)
Railing!

Need help - I bought a used car, Check engine light for the 3rd time in the first 30 - February 25, 2015, 05:54 PM

I bought a used 2005 4Runner V8 from Car Web in fredricksburg, and the same check engine light has come on for the 3rd time in the first 30 days. The dealer has a 30 day warranty covering everything, that warranty is up on the 28th.

The first time they replaced the exhaust from the mid pipe (just behind the cats) all the way back. The old system had a decent amount of rust around the muffler and one obvious leak. I had the car back for 6 days before the light came back on again. I assumed the CEL was all related to the exhaust, they obviously reset the light and sent me on my way.

I took it in for the second time last week and they said they were going to replace the O2 sensors, post CAT. Before I took it back to them I recorded all of the CEL lights the truck was throwing. C1201, C1223, C1241, C1253, C1290, P0430 (x4). Some of them are related to the ABS system, and all of the P0430 codes were exhaust related.

I just got the truck back on Sunday, and tonight the lights are back on again. I need to head over to an auto store and borrow a reader to get the codes.

So now I don't know wtf to do. Obviously I can take it back first thing in the morning, The car is still under warranty until the 28th, but I really don't trust Car Web to have any idea of how to actually fix it.

I have an option until the 28th to pick up a longer warranty through CornerStone United (this was offered originally through Car Web). Do I legally have any other option at this point? I've never been in a situation like this before.
Is my only option to pick up the extended warranty? Are there any other warranty companies that anyone recommends?

Any advice is appreciated.

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Signed up for Track Days!

February 25, 2015, 06:18 PM

I have a third party loan for my BMW through Fidelity Warranty Services. I got it with the purchase of my car and it was through the dealership. I have no idea if they work directly with customers rather than dealerships. So far they have honored what they list on their website for their different levels of service. What is it about Car Web's warranty that makes you want to look at other companies?

It's a tough call on whether to get a warranty or not. If you can get in before the 28th and get them to fix it, you may never have another issue. Or, the car could be a money pit and you're constantly getting repairs. If the warranty covers a few years for only a couple thousand dollars that may be worth it. For some repairs, labor alone can easily take a good chunk of that making the warranty worth it (there's probably some deductible).
Unread
  (#3)
Your Ad Here

February 25, 2015, 06:27 PM

Sounds like they're dancing around the big cost impact problem, which is most likely that the cat itself is shot and needs replacement. 10 years is about the right lifespan for a cat.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Signed up for Track Days!

February 25, 2015, 06:33 PM

I have an ODBII scanner where we can look at the O2 sensor waveform, but I don't know if we can meet up in time. If they put in new sensors but they don't look right in the scanner then I agree with Heist that it could be the cat. If the O2 sensors before the cat look funny, then something else is probably wrong, and it may have even screwed up the cat.
Unread
  (#5)
This Ain't My First Time!

February 25, 2015, 08:26 PM

They need to gather evidence of the problem and FIX the problem. Anybody can throw parts at a problem until it eventually gets fixed, but that is the expensive way to fix a vehicle.

I hate repair shops that guess at the problem with parts and waste money and time. If you cant gather good evidence of the problem and fix it then you are not a repair shop that I want to deal with.

Just tell them to find the problem and fix it, if they cant do that tell them you want a refund on the 28th before the warranty is up. They may surprise you with what they say. They could tell you to get bent, but they could say that is fair enough and honor your proposal. Never know unless you ask and if you don't ask you are still in the same boat.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
All about the U

February 25, 2015, 08:29 PM

Take it to the real dealer and get an estimate. It will be an hour worth of labor but well worth it. Take it back to the place you bought it and demand they take care of it.

-Mossburg
"Dont make excuses, Make adjustments"

Unread
  (#7)
AMA Superbike Champ

February 26, 2015, 05:47 AM

You were saying some of those codes were related to the ABS system? I would just drop it back off with them, and tell them not to contact you until the car is completely fixed. I'm not too sure about this particular vehicle but you don't want to start trying to fix ABS issues on your own.

Once they tell you it's been repaired correctly, bring a code reader with you. As soon as you pick it up, drive it around for a while and make sure no CEL comes on. If it does, just take it right back to them and demand your money back.

For what it's worth, they have an A- BBB rating

wr250x
Unread
  (#8)
opossum puncher

February 26, 2015, 09:23 AM

When you take it back make sure they write down the codes you found on the work order make sure its in the system not just in ink that the owner wants to check for the following codes noted, if they come up later, even after the warranty ends then you should be covered for the issue previously noted with in the warranty period. Ive had an issue like this happen before and since it was in their system as identified prior to the expiration of the warranty they fixed it months afterward. I would also second taking it to a real dealership and having them print out all issues you have. Then taking it back to your dealership.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#9)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

February 26, 2015, 09:30 AM

Ok I have a 2004 4Runner and I believe your problem is because of a code reader. This gen of runners have a pin located in the obd2 that can erase all the info for the abs and pitch and yaw. On the 4Runner forums this is talked about. I bought a code reader and had to remove a pin so the vtac and abs codes where not erase. If this code is erased there is a procedure you have to go through to reset the code. If you need more help pm me or email would be better. Dodge131@verizon.net.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

February 26, 2015, 09:32 AM

zx6rfool is no fool: +1

2011 Ducati Diavel Chromo (Current)
2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Current)
2006 BMW R1200ST
2003 BMW K1200GT (Current)
2004 Ducati 998s Final Edition (Current)
1997 Aprilia RS250
1998 BMW K1200RS
2000 Ducati 998
1998 Pegaso 650
1999 Ducati 996S
2004 BMW R1150R
2005 Aprilia RSVR Factory
2001 Triumph Tiger 955i
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Buell Ulysses
1991 Suzuki GSX-1100R
1991 Honda Africa Twin 750
2008 Mobster Lefty Trophy pitbike
2004 Aprilia RSVR Factory
1990 Aprilia Pegaso 125
1991 Ducati 888
1995 Honda CR250
1996 Aprilia RS125
1995 Aprilia Sr 50
1984 Kram-it 50
Unread
  (#11)
Railing!

February 26, 2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
Ok I have a 2004 4Runner and I believe your problem is because of a code reader. This gen of runners have a pin located in the obd2 that can erase all the info for the abs and pitch and yaw. On the 4Runner forums this is talked about. I bought a code reader and had to remove a pin so the vtac and abs codes where not erase. If this code is erased there is a procedure you have to go through to reset the code. If you need more help pm me or email would be better. Dodge131@verizon.net.
I noticed last night that the ABS codes only show up on the crappy advanced auto code readers. The ABS light has never come on, and menotomy used his reader on his laptop last night and no ABS codes appeared, just p0430.

I'm in communication with the dealer now, hopefully they make it right. Thanks for all of the advice ITT.

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk
Unread
  (#12)
Railing!

March 11, 2015, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
Sounds like they're dancing around the big cost impact problem, which is most likely that the cat itself is shot and needs replacement. 10 years is about the right lifespan for a cat.

The Toyota dealer suggested replacing the exhaust piece by piece, starting with the manifolds. Car Web replaced both manifolds and cats, so I now have a brand new exhaust system all the way through (they replaced from the mid-pipe back the first time I brought the car in)

Thank you Car Web.

If the problem persists, they said bring it right back.

2013 Hypermotard
1998 Superhawk