DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:



Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 519
2 members and 517 guests
Sal_the_man, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Need help with pre workout nutrition.
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ
 
Posts: 2,038
Join Date: January 22, 2009
Location: Swanton, MD
Need help with pre workout nutrition. - April 6, 2012, 10:36 AM

So I have had issues with killer headaches with my morning workouts (Crossfit mostly). I assume its due to me not giving my body what it needs nutrition wise before the workout. If my workouts are not strenuous I'm good to go but when I interval train and the heart rate gets up to about 190-195 in a hurry the pulsing headaches start. They go away after a few minutes but are really slowing me down.

My morning starts with some water and a banana along with a hard boiled egg or two. What am I missing? I've also tried a protein shake and banana pre workout without any change. I drink a gallon of water throughout the day so I don't believe it's dehydration. Any ideas?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#2)
I'm a llama again!
 
Slider's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,318
Join Date: April 12, 2007
Location: Alexandria
April 6, 2012, 10:40 AM

Pizza and Beer, nothing better.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer
 
OrangeShirtDude's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,465
Join Date: April 6, 2007
Location: "Going Bonkers"
April 6, 2012, 10:44 AM

I know someone in the headache center at Hopkins Bayview that I'll ask about this tonight. But um, it may be more than just nutrition. In general though, just make sure you are very well-hydrated. Hydration is a lifestyle, not just a glass or two right before working out. Start at least a day before and keep drinking so that you're pissing often. Still, it takes a day or two at this level to hydrate a dehydrated body. Are you a coffee or other caffeine source drinker? Regular beer drinker? You'll need to mind your water intake even more.

If it turns out you really only need to change what you eat, Dennys Passeto is a racer on the side and trainer by day. Maybe you can consult with him. I sent you a friend request on FB. Answer that, and then I can connect you two.


How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#4)
SUPERBITCHIN'
 
{SALVA}'s Avatar
 
Posts: 6,638
Join Date: September 2, 2008
Location: Ombelico del Mondo
April 6, 2012, 10:45 AM

few years ago there was something in protein powders that would give some people headaches. I get them when I use the GNC brand powder, but since you said you are not always using protein in the morning I don't know if that would do it.

Have you tried a baby aspirin before workout? might vasodialate enough to not give you a headache but still not overdo it.

where is Gem...


E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#5)
Knarly Adventurer
 
wildjester's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,925
Join Date: March 22, 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
April 6, 2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDLEVEL View Post
My morning starts with some water and a banana along with a hard boiled egg or two. What am I missing? I've also tried a protein shake and banana pre workout without any change. I drink a gallon of water throughout the day so I don't believe it's dehydration. Any ideas?
You are missing carbs. I don't know if that is what's causing the headaches, but headaches or not... you are missing carbs for a workout like that. Try a bowl of oatmeal. Instant is ok, but old fashion steel cut is better.

Try mixing a little bit of non-fat milk and two egg whites into a pack of instant, microwave, eat, and done.

Should help.


Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal



2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#6)
Derpentine Dealer
 
OrangeShirtDude's Avatar
 
Posts: 12,465
Join Date: April 6, 2007
Location: "Going Bonkers"
April 6, 2012, 10:53 AM

Salva, aspirin is not a vasodilator, it's a COX1 inhibitor and hence, an anti-inflammatory drug. Headaches are usually a result of cerebral vasculature vasodilation, infact. Caffeine can counteract this, and this is why coffee drinkers experience headaches when they do not get caffeine at their usual time, because of vasodilation in the absence of a drug they have become accustomed to. You want to be very careful about aspirin before working out because you'll bleed more after small vessel bursts.


How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#7)
SUPERBITCHIN'
 
{SALVA}'s Avatar
 
Posts: 6,638
Join Date: September 2, 2008
Location: Ombelico del Mondo
April 6, 2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
Salva, aspirin is not a vasodilator, it's a COX1 inhibitor and hence, an anti-inflammatory drug. Headaches are usually a result of cerebral vasculature vasodilation, infact. Caffeine can counteract this, and this is why coffee drinkers experience headaches when they do not get caffeine at their usual time, because of vasodilation in the absence of a drug they have become accustomed to. You want to be very careful about aspirin before working out because you'll bleed more after small vessel bursts.
thank you John.

Scratch what I said, I'll leave it to people that know more.


E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#8)
Licensed Rider
 
Posts: 119
Join Date: January 5, 2012
Location: Fairfax Station, VA
April 6, 2012, 11:02 AM

It's important to hydrate one day before a hard workout. Idk if that's what's causing your headaches though.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#9)
Groping is a skill...
 
turkishexpress's Avatar
 
Posts: 14,997
Join Date: May 3, 2008
Location: Chicagoland
April 6, 2012, 11:06 AM

CrossFit requires a lot of energy during workouts unlike most other training styles and looking at what you said you eat in the morning I have two questions... Where are the carbs that you need (a banana will last you about 2 reps and fruits are usually not our preferred method of replenishing glycogen)? When do you eat your first meal vs. when do you workout?

Here is the problem. Most coaches will tell you to eat some protein so that when you have strenuous workouts like CrossFit that your body has a place to immediately start pulling amino acids from to help rebuild effected muscle fibers. This is not incorrect however you need to make sure that the protein that you eat is relatively simple (so eggs are ok) and that you give it enough time to empty the stomach. Meanwhile, if you don't have enough carbs in your system your body will resort to the glycogen reserves in your liver which unfortunately do not supply enough energy in time and will push your body into braking down fats and protein for energy. Well, braking down fats is a good thing but the protein brake down for ATP generation is extremely inefficient and wouldn't be surprised if it causes headaches.

Possible Solution:

1) Eat at least two hours before working out with the meal consistent of 3-4 egg whites along with about two cups of unprocessed oats or oatmeal.

2) Take a small water bottle with you into workouts with some dextrose (15-20g) and bcaa's in it and sip on it throughout your workout.

3) Ensure your diet is fulfilling enough for your body to replenish glycogen reserves efficiently throughout the day so that the next day you are not suffering.

4) Get your blood pressure taken before and about 30 minutes after workout to see where you are. (Kind of unrelated but would be safe then sorry)


2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned


I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#10)
2 wheels for life
 
Deep's Avatar
 
Posts: 8,134
Join Date: August 14, 2007
Location: Helsinki, Finland
April 6, 2012, 11:08 AM

oh shit I have this too hence I avoid working out in the morning .. I always thought it was lack of glucose and or hydration .. I know our body is most dehydrated in the morning


Adrenaline Addict
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ
 
Posts: 2,038
Join Date: January 22, 2009
Location: Swanton, MD
April 6, 2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
I know someone in the headache center at Hopkins Bayview that I'll ask about this tonight. But um, it may be more than just nutrition. In general though, just make sure you are very well-hydrated. Hydration is a lifestyle, not just a glass or two right before working out. Start at least a day before and keep drinking so that you're pissing often. Still, it takes a day or two at this level to hydrate a dehydrated body. Are you a coffee or other caffeine source drinker? Regular beer drinker? You'll need to mind your water intake even more.

If it turns out you really only need to change what you eat, Dennys Passeto is a racer on the side and trainer by day. Maybe you can consult with him. I sent you a friend request on FB. Answer that, and then I can connect you two.
Wow. Now that's a good start to the thread. I drink a gallon of water a day and piss more often than I like and usually you couldn't even tell I used the bathroom because there is no tint to my urine. I don't drink alcohol or coffee I rarely drink anything but water. I'll check my facebook shortly. Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by {SALVA} View Post
few years ago there was something in protein powders that would give some people headaches. I get them when I use the GNC brand powder, but since you said you are not always using protein in the morning I don't know if that would do it.

Have you tried a baby aspirin before workout? might vasodialate enough to not give you a headache but still not overdo it.

where is Gem...
I've tried aspirin with no luck. It does help my arm pump on race days though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post
You are missing carbs. I don't know if that is what's causing the headaches, but headaches or not... you are missing carbs for a workout like that. Try a bowl of oatmeal. Instant is ok, but old fashion steel cut is better.

Try mixing a little bit of non-fat milk and two egg whites into a pack of instant, microwave, eat, and done.

Should help.
That will be my next breakfast. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
It's important to hydrate one day before a hard workout. Idk if that's what's causing your headaches though.
Hydration is something I have never had issues with. I drink water daily ( a gallon at least ) I have a gallon jug at work that I fill every morning and it's usually gone by the time I'm leaving.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#12)
On vacation
 
RileysDad's Avatar
 
Posts: 5,977
Join Date: June 17, 2008
Location: Rockville, MD
April 6, 2012, 11:13 AM

Subscribed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#13)
Knarly Adventurer
 
wildjester's Avatar
 
Posts: 4,925
Join Date: March 22, 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
April 6, 2012, 11:14 AM

OMG Turk!
You like said exactly what I said, but with a bunch of paragraphs and numbered bullets!!!
What ever!

Everyone listen to Turk, he has big muscles, he must know everything.
Fuck you man!


Oh yeah... I drank redbull before, during, and after my workout... can you tell mother fuckers?!


Carry on bitches.
I like to balance my informative quality posts with troll posts.


Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal



2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#14)
GP Champ
 
Posts: 2,038
Join Date: January 22, 2009
Location: Swanton, MD
April 6, 2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
CrossFit requires a lot of energy during workouts unlike most other training styles and looking at what you said you eat in the morning I have two questions... Where are the carbs that you need (a banana will last you about 2 reps and fruits are usually not our preferred method of replenishing glycogen)? When do you eat your first meal vs. when do you workout?

Here is the problem. Most coaches will tell you to eat some protein so that when you have strenuous workouts like CrossFit that your body has a place to immediately start pulling amino acids from to help rebuild effected muscle fibers. This is not incorrect however you need to make sure that the protein that you eat is relatively simple (so eggs are ok) and that you give it enough time to empty the stomach. Meanwhile, if you don't have enough carbs in your system your body will resort to the glycogen reserves in your liver which unfortunately do not supply enough energy in time and will push your body into braking down fats and protein for energy. Well, braking down fats is a good thing but the protein brake down for ATP generation is extremely inefficient and wouldn't be surprised if it causes headaches.

Possible Solution:

1) Eat at least two hours before working out with the meal consistent of 3-4 egg whites along with about two cups of unprocessed oats or oatmeal.

2) Take a small water bottle with you into workouts with some dextrose (15-20g) and bcaa's in it and sip on it throughout your workout.

3) Ensure your diet is fulfilling enough for your body to replenish glycogen reserves efficiently throughout the day so that the next day you are not suffering.

4) Get your blood pressure taken before and about 30 minutes after workout to see where you are. (Kind of unrelated but would be safe then sorry)
Damn I fill like I should be paying for this info. I eat about 45 minutes before my workouts because they are so early in the morning. I was told by a trainer to keep my meals light pre workout ( toast and water was his suggestion) but I felt depleted halfway through the workout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep View Post
oh shit I have this too hence I avoid working out in the morning .. I always thought it was lack of glucose and or hydration .. I know our body is most dehydrated in the morning
Yea the first bathroom visit in the morning is the only time have a color to my urine. I would love to figure this out. I know I could push harder if I didn't fear these headaches.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Reply With Quote
Unread
  (#15)
Ni Hao Ma, Bitches!
 
lemond's Avatar
 
Posts: 688
Join Date: May 3, 2006
Location: Tysons Corner
April 6, 2012, 11:21 AM

is it possible to move your workouts in the later afternoons or early evenings. I think your body has not adjusted to such a high out out right after a night's sleep, since your system has gone with out food for the last 6-8 hours. I think even after a small breakfast your still needing more to fuel the system.


2006 Husqvarna 510sm
2006 Honda 919
1995 Ducati MOnster 900 - sold
2000 Suzuki GSXR 600 Track Bike - sold
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lemond Send a message via AIM to lemond Send a message via MSN to lemond  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters, all the rest 2002-2010 by DCSportbikes.net. DCSportbikes.net is owned by End of Time Studios, LLC.