DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 664
2 members and 662 guests
davidcycle, WvGoDFather
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
need a little legal advise
Unread
  (#1)
MSF Student

need a little legal advise - May 2, 2009, 01:28 PM

Well, all my troubles began when I left my boyfriend of 2 years, and during these two years, I have had a logo for my business, which he had designed by his friend for me (as a gift). Now, that I am no longer with him, she is acting like I never should have used it, is having it copyrighted, and demanding I cease and desist the use of it....??odd, she has know I have been using this and I have even placed orders from her for business cards and such... I really do not think it is fair (even though the logo was never really my style and I am ok to change it to something I like better) that people can hurt you and your only fault was not wanting to be someones girlfriend anymore. I just do not want to be bullied around anymore and I do not have the means ($) to fight back.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Being nice :)

May 2, 2009, 02:04 PM

I've copyrighted several logos/insignias. If she copyrighted her original work and you continue to use that original work w/o permission then you're SOL ... http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap13.html#1320
She's being an asshole..If you want to piss her off, tweak the logo substantially, but still keep the main layout/idea, if that's want you really want. If not then I can come up w/ a logo for you if you'd like. PM me your co. info

You're Welcome...
Unread
  (#3)
I am a bitch, so what?

May 2, 2009, 02:30 PM

Actually you might be able to get it copyrighted before she does. It's only $35 if it's done online. You might be able to get away with "Work Made for Hire", I think. It states that you would own it if she was hired to do the work. It's slim but it's something you can try.
Do you have any kind of agreement with her to use it? Did she specifically design it for your use? I would call the copyright office near you and see what they can do.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#4)
Licensed Rider

May 2, 2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlizzy View Post
Well, all my troubles began when I left my boyfriend of 2 years, and during these two years, I have had a logo for my business, which he had designed by his friend for me (as a gift). Now, that I am no longer with him, she is acting like I never should have used it, is having it copyrighted, and demanding I cease and desist the use of it....??odd, she has know I have been using this and I have even placed orders from her for business cards and such... I really do not think it is fair (even though the logo was never really my style and I am ok to change it to something I like better) that people can hurt you and your only fault was not wanting to be someones girlfriend anymore. I just do not want to be bullied around anymore and I do not have the means ($) to fight back.
so your Boyfriend gave you a logo then SHE copyrighted it because you didnt want to be his/her Girlfriend? can you throw some pics up?

easy change your logo, fight it but do they even have proof they designed it as apparently you have been using it prior to their wanting to copyright it.?.

Sawzall Solves All.
Unread
  (#5)
MSF Student

May 2, 2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSheDevil View Post
Actually you might be able to get it copyrighted before she does. It's only $35 if it's done online. You might be able to get away with "Work Made for Hire", I think. It states that you would own it if she was hired to do the work. It's slim but it's something you can try.
Do you have any kind of agreement with her to use it? Did she specifically design it for your use? I would call the copyright office near you and see what they can do.
Hey girl !
Hope you are doing well, long time no see....anyway, thanks for responding, my x hired her and paid her for the work....he then gave it to me...I will call the copyright office on monday.
Unread
  (#6)
MSF Student

May 2, 2009, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL_Fool View Post
so your Boyfriend gave you a logo then SHE copyrighted it because you didnt want to be his/her Girlfriend? can you throw some pics up?

easy change your logo, fight it but do they even have proof they designed it as apparently you have been using it prior to their wanting to copyright it.?.
I have been using it for two years....and even went thru her to order business cards with the logo on it, never an issue...my x paid for the work, he has receipts..not me.

this is link to my "so called" logo:
http://www.creativityneversleeps.com...y/logos/ll.jpg
Unread
  (#7)
I am a bitch, so what?

May 2, 2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Hey girl !
Hope you are doing well, long time no see....anyway, thanks for responding, my x hired her and paid her for the work....he then gave it to me...I will call the copyright office on monday.
No shit... it's been a long time.

If she was paid for the work, then she no longer owns it. If she tries to copyright it, you have a right to protest. Especially since you have record of using it for the last couple of years. Definitely call the copyright office and bug them till you get your questions answered.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#8)
Track Ho

May 2, 2009, 05:38 PM

talk to Chico he has done all this

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
Unread
  (#9)
Spike

May 2, 2009, 05:51 PM

I hate legal fights, I don't care for the logo and you got some serious talent girl, make ur own logo, copyright it and move on!!! Ef them!

RIP Greg Walker, I will never forget you

If everybody thought before they spoke, the silence would be deafening
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to jtatooz Send a message via Yahoo to jtatooz Send a message via AIM to jtatooz Send a message via Skype™ to jtatooz 
Unread
  (#10)
kin
Batman wants my bike

May 3, 2009, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRSheDevil View Post
No shit... it's been a long time.

If she was paid for the work, then she no longer owns it. If she tries to copyright it, you have a right to protest. Especially since you have record of using it for the last couple of years. Definitely call the copyright office and bug them till you get your questions answered.

That depends actually. When I do logos for people I keep the rights and give the client usage rights. All this is written out in a contract. Do you know if your x signed a contract when he hired her to do the logo?

06 R6
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to kin  
Unread
  (#11)
MSF Student

May 3, 2009, 08:23 AM

I do not know if he signed a contract, I know that my X has been friends with this girl for 10 or so years, so my guess is that she is doing whatever he wants.
Unread
  (#12)
Say Jur Oh

May 3, 2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
the logo was never really my style and I am ok to change it to something I like better
This logo isn't really your style anyway. If you are okay with it, I would strongly suggest you just change it to something you like better and walk away from this whole mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'm not saying this site has a bunch of gay dudes on it but a few of you definitely lack a bumpstop on the sexuality gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!

Greg "BamBam" Walker
September 11th 2009
You are missed
Godspeed
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Seijirou  
Unread
  (#13)
Pfffft...

May 3, 2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL_Fool View Post

Ok, i thought i was the only one that got confused about all this. BUt i got it now.

If its not your style and you dont like it that much just get a new one and avoid the troubles.

2008 GSXR-600
2005 SV650S Naked Streetfigther (Sold)
Unread
  (#14)
TEAM.SUKUZI

May 3, 2009, 10:05 AM

I can design your logo...trade?

sex addict