DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 865
3 members and 862 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, nootherids
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#1)
Site Owner

October 12, 2005, 11:03 AM

So with the recent big rains one of the closets in my basement has started leaking and is getting into the carpet/baseboard. Could be a drainage issue or a cracked foundation (please god no).

Does anyone know of any good (REPUTABLE) contractors or agencies in this area that can come out to Ashburn and give me an estimate?

Thanks!

And if you whore up my thread I will delete you.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#2)
Addicted to farm animals

October 12, 2005, 11:06 AM

If you could give me more info on this you may be able to do it yourself man. Is it weeping through the walls or is it dripping?

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1  
Unread
  (#3)
I am a bitch, so what?

October 12, 2005, 11:08 AM

If you can't fix it yourself, let me know. I'll send one of our guys out there.

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#4)
Site Owner

October 12, 2005, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TricknR1
If you could give me more info on this you may be able to do it yourself man. Is it weeping through the walls or is it dripping?
It's doing neither, unelss I'm misunderstanding your definition of "weeping".

There is no visible water present, only the carpet being moist (not completely soaked). And it stinks in there which means mold.

The baseboard shows water damage - the drywall does not. This is in a basement area where the sump pump is working fine.

I'm not sure if this could be a culprit but I noticed that rabbits had dug underneath my front porch, which I then filled with dirt, but where they dug seems to coincide with where the water could be getting in.

Here are some pics:

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#5)
Addicted to farm animals

October 12, 2005, 11:35 AM

Assuming there is an outside wall directly behind the wallboard it may be seeping in the wall and running in a vertical direction of the wall. Water follows the least resistance as you know and the bottom is always where it exits. There is firring strips behind the drywall which causes a channel effect with the water and when it reaches the bottom it disperses. The carpet is just absorbing what the wood don't. My suggestion would be to tear out a 2'x2' section of the drywall at the top of the wall directly above the leak to have a visual of the situation. It may just need some dehumidification and Dryloc. Worst case you would need to dig up along that area outside and parge the wall to keep water from being absorbed into the block or concrete. Hope you get some sense out of this.

Ride Hard or Put it Away. Trickn is life.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to TricknR1  
Unread
  (#6)
Meh

October 12, 2005, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper
Quote:

There is no visible water present, only the carpet being moist (not completely soaked). And it stinks in there which means mold.

The baseboard shows water damage - the drywall does not. This is in a basement area where the sump pump is working fine.

I'm not sure if this could be a culprit but I noticed that rabbits had dug underneath my front porch, which I then filled with dirt, but where they dug seems to coincide with where the water could be getting in.

Here are some pics:

Given the fact that you have a mold issue as a result of the the water infiltration, you may want to contact your insurance company and see about filing a claim. I work with a Mold abatement and Environmental consulting firm and mold can be nasty stuff. That wall will need to be water proofed and the contaminated drywall and sub-flooring removed and replaced. IM me if you want so more info.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Site Owner

October 12, 2005, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Assuming there is an outside wall directly behind the wallboard it may be seeping in the wall and running in a vertical direction of the wall. Water follows the least resistance as you know and the bottom is always where it exits. There is firring strips behind the drywall which causes a channel effect with the water and when it reaches the bottom it disperses. The carpet is just absorbing what the wood don't. My suggestion would be to tear out a 2'x2' section of the drywall at the top of the wall directly above the leak to have a visual of the situation. It may just need some dehumidification and Dryloc. Worst case you would need to dig up along that area outside and parge the wall to keep water from being absorbed into the block or concrete. Hope you get some sense out of this.
Yeah, see this is where I get the idea that I want to hire someone to do it. I don't want to cut 2 foot chunks out of my wall when I won't necessarily learn anything from doing it, and possibly could be doing it in the wrong area.

The problem is the wall that is getting leaked on is my common wall with my next door neighbor's townhouse. The only area to "dig up" is direclty underneath my front cement porch where the rabbits made their home, and that definitely isn't a job that I can do myself.

Sigh, I think this is going to cost me a LOT of money either way.

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#8)
Site Owner

October 12, 2005, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
Quote:
Quote:

Here are some pics:
Given the fact that you have a mold issue as a result of the the water infiltration, you may want to contact your insurance company and see about filing a claim. I work with a Mold abatement and Environmental consulting firm and mold can be nasty stuff. That wall will need to be water proofed and the contaminated drywall and sub-flooring removed and replaced. IM me if you want so more info.
Unfortunately, insurance doesn't cover this. I already checked.. they only cover it if the sump had an issue or if a pipe burst. They don't cover drainage issues or anything like that.

Are there any anti-mold sprays I can just spray on or is the issue bigger than that?

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#9)
Typical Stripper

October 12, 2005, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Are there any anti-mold sprays I can just spray on or is the issue bigger than that?
That would simply mask the problem, and could lead to it getting contiually worse. Most likely an option, but not a good choice.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
Site Owner

October 12, 2005, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
Quote:
That would simply mask the problem, and could lead to it getting contiually worse. Most likely an option, but not a good choice.
I mean for the time being to keep the mold from spreading. Obviously I need to fix the issue and then repair everything.

Unfortunately since its an outside wall there is going to be insulation that will need to be replaced, the drywall, and god knows what else.

Can't believe insurance doesn't cover this crap. Why do I pay thousands of dollars a year?

Katie #135.

Unread
  (#11)
Typical Stripper

October 12, 2005, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I mean for the time being to keep the mold from spreading. Obviously I need to fix the issue and then repair everything.
I would pull the carpet back (as far as you need to... having to replace a portion of the carpet would only add to the situation), use fans and/or a dehumidifier at the site... use something with a mold killing agent in it until you get someone in there. Let me know if you need help.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Meh

October 12, 2005, 01:45 PM

First thing you need to do is a get a dehumidifier in there ASAP. That will inhibit the growth of other molds.

Next step is to repair the wall. What that will ultimately require is still up in the air.

Beyond that, you will need to actually remove and replace the affected carpeting, padding, drywall, and wall substructure.

I can put you on to some good contractors that handle that stuff with the foundations and the mold implications.
Unread
  (#13)
I am a bitch, so what?

October 12, 2005, 01:47 PM

Wait a minute.. the wall that is damaged is a wall connecting our townhouse with your neighbors? Are you sure that you neighbor doesn't have a leak?

Every time we hold our tongues instead of returning the sharp retort, show patience with another's faults, show a little more love and kindness, we are helping to stock-pile more of these peace-bringing qualities in the world instead of armaments for war. -- Constance Foster
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to RRSheDevil Send a message via AIM to RRSheDevil  
Unread
  (#14)
Meh

October 13, 2005, 12:30 AM

Like Vicki is getting at...you are going to have to start ripping apart that wall so that will shed some light on the source of the water intrusion.