DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 555
2 members and 553 guests
davidcycle, Scot
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Neil deGrasse Tyson or 'Why argument from authority is invalid'
Unread
  (#1)
Derpentine Dealer

Neil deGrasse Tyson or 'Why argument from authority is invalid' - September 22, 2014, 10:42 AM

"Watch out, guys. We're dealing with my credibility over here."

SYNOPSIS: A writer discovered a failed effort by a fellow journalist to verify a quote presented by Neil deGrasse Tyson in one of his recent public talks (1,2). Further investigation revealed that Tyson may have fabricated several quotes that he used to push his points in his talks (3,4). Now attempts to add these incidents to the deGrasse Tyson Wikipedia page have been stifled by editors (5). The only argument offered in defense of deGrasse Tyson's fraud and the efforts to silence the backlash is that the ends justify the means. In other words, when attacking the Right, disparaging religion, or refuting anyone who challenges the dominant paradigm, it is ok to be dishonest. Why? While it may be a matter of speculation, Robert Tacinski offers a cogent reason:
What to do? Construct an alternative narrative in which the political right is the modern-day successor to the Inquisition and the political left is the inheritor of a tradition of bold free-thinking that goes all the way back to Giordano Bruno. Even if you have to fudge a few facts to make it work (6).
COMMENTARY: These frauds really ought to put deGrasse Tyson out of business. Why? Because he has one thing to do: tell the truth. He failed. This is why argument from authority (argumentum ab auctoritate) is an informal fallacy in logic and reasoning. No human authority is beyond reproach.
A is a leading authority on cosmology
A makes a truth claim in cosmology
A's claim must be true.
The problem becomes particularly apparent when we find out that A lies. Not only did deGrasse Tyson lie, but he did so within and as part of his effort to promote his authority. Had he lied about stealing a cookie from the cafeteria, that would be embarrassing. Since he lied in his effort as a figure of public trust to promote his position as a figure of public trust, his credibility as such ought to vanish completely.

Alas, his credibility won't vanish because for the kind of people that bow to him, these lies are acceptable. Why? Because these people do not understand science well enough to realize that scientists have only one precious thing: their integrity.

Me? I never trusted this guy one bit.

REFERENCES:

(1) Super Scientist Neil deGrasse Tyson Doesn't Understand Statistics

(2) Did Neil deGrasse Tyson Just Try To Justify Blatant Quote Fabrication?

(3) Another Day, Another Quote Fabricated By Neil deGrasse Tyson

(4) Bush's 9/11 Speechwriters: We Don't Remember That Tyson Quote At All

(5) Why Is Wikipedia Scrubbing All References To Neil Tyson's Fabrication?

(6) Neil deGrasse Tyson and the Metaphysical Dilemma of the Left

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Derpetologist

September 22, 2014, 10:48 AM

I remember going over this in catholic school regarding the infallibility of the priesthood. They can embezzle money, molest boys, and give inaccurate advice on everything from marriage to climate change... But they are never wrong regarding matters of faith. Never. God speaks through them.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#3)
Derpentine Dealer

September 22, 2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
I remember going over this in catholic school regarding the infallibility of the priesthood. They can embezzle money, molest boys, and give inaccurate advice on everything from marriage to climate change... But they are never wrong regarding matters of faith. Never. God speaks through them.
You identified two of the many heresies of the RCC: Elevated position of priesthood and duality in the code of conduct. Secular Humanism has its priests as well, and among them is deGrasse Tyson. They too are offered special exemptions in their behaviors and enjoy elite status.

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.

Last edited by OrangeShirtDude; September 22, 2014 at 11:05 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
Derpentine Dealer

September 22, 2014, 11:10 AM

In case anyone takes issue with the sources, here is a link to commentary by a rather outspoken atheist on the Left:

If We Can’t Trust Neil deGrasse Tyson, Who Can We Trust?

"As skeptics, we should all be interested in what Davis says." --Hermant Mehta

Unread
  (#5)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

September 22, 2014, 11:30 AM

1. We should always be skeptics.

2. Trust but verify.

In other words, think for yourself. Don't just quote and paraphrase others. They might be wrong as well.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#6)
Your Ad Here

September 22, 2014, 01:17 PM

What did he lie about exactly though?

I've seen several of his talks/speeches and he has always said, as a Physicist, he doesn't believe anyone without empirical evidence, proof, and facts - nor should anyone believe him.
"Because I saw it" and "because I said so" have never been meritorious qualifications for him.

Scientists, especially at the elite level, have giant throbbing egos. It's the I'm the biggest swinging dic... er, brain in the room syndrome.

And those egos want to be right - sometimes at any cost and they will bend to point of fracture, truth to fit their theory or postulation.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Last edited by Heist; September 22, 2014 at 03:03 PM..
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
Eddie would go ...

September 22, 2014, 01:27 PM

:sigh:

how about moving this to:
OSD Tube - A Repository For All of OSD's Nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#8)
Derpentine Dealer

September 22, 2014, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
What did he lie about exactly though?
Fabricating a quotation is fraud. It's dishonest, lying, whatever you wish to call it. It's fraud, just like it would be fraud for me to make up some numbers supporting the idea that if we ban Dutch from this site, the risk for the remaining male site members of developing frontal temporal dimentia decreases by 30%.

Unread
  (#9)
Stop light racer...

September 22, 2014, 02:01 PM

Everything we believe to be true today, will be be proven to be false tomorrow.

Remember: The world was once flat ... The Sun used to revolve around the Earth ... Cigarettes were once considered healthy ... Rotting meat used to create maggots ... Electrons used to flow from Positive to Negative ...

Always question everything, especially facts.

- Norway Daily, 90' VFR750, V4 Touring Beast
- USA Daily, 08' Versys - Urban Assault vehicle
- Toy, 02' Ducati 900ss - Loud and angry noises
- Toy, 89' FZR600 - Raw Inline Deathbox
- Project, 91' CB250 - Goal: lightweight city bike
- Project, 79' CB350 - Finally runs, now to finish

- Sold, Red 94' VS800 - Loud as F@*$
* R.I.P. Blue 06' SV650, murdered by DC!
* R.I.P. Black 98' FZR600, murdered by DC!
- Sold, Red 81' GS650
- Sold, Black 81' CM400T
Unread
  (#10)
Derpetologist

September 22, 2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post
...he doesn't believe anyone without imperial evidence, proof, and facts...
Haven't spent any time watching anything with NdGT (ok i don't watch anything because i have no tv) but I'm pretty sure he said "empirical."

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

September 22, 2014, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rail View Post
Haven't spent any time watching anything with NdGT (ok i don't watch anything because i have no tv) but I'm pretty sure he said "empirical."
Foiled by auto-correct.

Or maybe he wants proof for Lord Vader.

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
Eddie would go ...

September 22, 2014, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
if we ban Dutch from this site, the risk for the remaining male site members of developing frontal temporal dimentia decreases by 30%.
*Dementia ...it may be too late for you no matter what bans happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#13)
TNT
GP Champ

September 22, 2014, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeShirtDude View Post
You identified two of the many heresies of the RCC: Elevated position of priesthood and duality in the code of conduct. Secular Humanism has its priests as well, and among them is deGrasse Tyson. They too are offered special exemptions in their behaviors and enjoy elite status.

Actually, he made two false statements while claiming to speak for the RCC. So, that puts this right in league (allegedly) with Dr. Tyson, does it not?

Before we go spouting off what we heard from someone with an axe to grind as truth, we might want to check our facts. A close read of the Catechism dispels all of the popular rumors about RCC "corruption." That people still believe some of this only supports the notion that people do not want facts; they want a narrative that agrees with their personal opinion.

Carry on.

Last edited by TNT; September 22, 2014 at 07:54 PM..
Unread
  (#14)
TNT
GP Champ

September 22, 2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDawg View Post
1. We should always be skeptics.

2. Trust but verify.

In other words, think for yourself. Don't just quote and paraphrase others. They might be wrong as well.
If only this were a common practice, we would have fewer problems with fraudulent charities, corrupt politicians, unscrupulous businesses, specious lawsuits, and general chicanery.
Unread
  (#15)
Derpentine Dealer

September 22, 2014, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT View Post
Actually, he made two false statements while claiming to speak for the RCC. So, that puts this right in league (allegedly) with Dr. Tyson, does it not?

Before we go spouting off what we heard from someone with an axe to grind as truth, we might want to check our facts. A close read of the Catechism dispels all of the popular rumors about RCC "corruption." That people still believe some of this only supports the notion that people do not want facts; they want a narrative that agrees with their personal opinion.

Carry on.
The elevated position of the clergy in Roman Catholicism is heretical, according to a purely scriptural-based theology. I didn't say that, Martin Luther said that. The Catechism has no authority outside of the RCC.