DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 574
4 members and 570 guests
GRN96WS6, nootherids, shiphteey, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
New DC Gun Law!
Unread
  (#1)
Officially Addicted to Posting

New DC Gun Law! - September 19, 2008, 11:10 AM

I will do my best to avoid editorializing too much about how ridiculous the first emergency gun legislation was and how ridiculous it is that the only reason DC council recently enacted new emergency gun legislation was that they saw the writing on the wall with the pending federal legislation and second Heller lawsuit.

In a nutshell, semi-automatics with 10 round mags or less are now legal to have in your home in DC and trigger locks are no longer mandatory unless you have reason to believe a child could have access to your gun. Obviously this is oversimplified so go here for more:

http://mpdc.dc.gov/mpdc/cwp/view,a,1...pdcNav,%7C.asp
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#2)
Typical Stripper

September 19, 2008, 11:13 AM

Hooray DC!

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Road Kill

September 19, 2008, 11:17 AM

there is going to end up being a fight over the 10 round magizines. And i think the SC needs to give its blessing. When reading the majority side, it might not bless it. 10 rounders arent "common," and they were only deemed common under the brady bill. The majority side wrote using words such as "modern" and "common" so that it will always keep pace with technology.

Currently semi auto hang guns come with +10 round mags, in addition to the mag sizes pre brady bill, would make them the most "common" and "modern."

1999 Yamaha R6... from the track, back to the street
www.mmsports.org
SJS Customs

YaoMatt:Here's a free bit of advice: Put down the fucking ho-ho!!! And I don't mean your daughter.

Bexxx: yeah my ass was a wee bit sore after that
BabyBusa04: MY ASS IS SORE AS HELL
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JMURACN  
Unread
  (#4)

September 19, 2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMURACN
there is going to end up being a fight over the 10 round magizines. And i think the SC needs to give its blessing. When reading the majority side, it might not bless it. 10 rounders arent "common," and they were only deemed common under the brady bill. The majority side wrote using words such as "modern" and "common" so that it will always keep pace with technology.

Currently semi auto hang guns come with +10 round mags, in addition to the mag sizes pre brady bill, would make them the most "common" and "modern."
Yes, I think there will be a fight about that as well as the registration process. It will be interesting to see how it goes. I am at least happy that it has gone this far. Temporarily, it might give people a market to sell their post ban mags.
Unread
  (#5)
Riding is like Sex. WEEE!

September 19, 2008, 11:27 AM

The registration process is ridiculous.

I think all handguns should be illegal unless you were in the military or current or past law enforcement.

Shoutguns and rifles are adequate for Home protection.

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

"I race to win. If I am on the bike or in a car it will always be the same."

"I'm Valentino Rossi. And I want to be a person, not an icon."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#6)
Track Ho

September 19, 2008, 11:36 AM

remind me to talk to you about this some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi

I think all handguns should be illegal unless you were in the military or current or past law enforcement.

"I am officially retired so please don't ban me"
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)

September 19, 2008, 11:38 AM

We sure can talk about it.

Why not here?

"Riding a race bike is an art - a thing that you do because you feel something inside."

"I don't like being famous - it is like a prison. And driving for Ferrari would make it far worse."

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Rossi Send a message via AIM to Rossi Send a message via Skype™ to Rossi 
Unread
  (#8)

September 19, 2008, 11:43 AM

Quote:
The registration process is ridiculous.

I think limiting handguns to military or current or past law enforcement is ridiculous and both my wife and I are former law enforcement.
Unread
  (#9)
TEAM.SUKUZI

September 19, 2008, 11:43 AM

woOOoo whooOOoo~

sex addict

POWERED BY SUZUKI GSXR1000
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to iceblizzxdc  
Unread
  (#10)
Track Ho

September 19, 2008, 11:45 AM

Ad, so by not allowing handguns you are taking away concealed carry do you agree with this?

Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

September 19, 2008, 11:49 AM

so when is va conceal going to be legal in dc since its in our metro?!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to islandboy  
Unread
  (#12)

September 19, 2008, 11:49 AM

Yes. Take that away.

We are not in the times of the Wild west. We do not need to defend from train robbers.

Unread
  (#13)
Track Ho

September 19, 2008, 12:07 PM

I can name about 32 people that were murdered at VT last year that would have disagreed with you

What about the Amish school that the guy just walked in and killed the kids

I am not saying guns in schools is the best but......

the point is you never know when you will need it, what if you go camping and a rabid animal chases your ass, you gonna hide in a tree or man up?

what if we are riding in West Virginia and someone tries to jack our bikes, take away my right to conceal carry and the criminal can assume I am unarmed and will take more chances

what if I want to go to the shooting range but dont want to carry open because I need to stop by walmart first to get ammo and dont like the looks I get when I open carry

I was armed when I sold my track bike

DC and Detroit (ignoring recent law changes) have the highest gun crime rates in the country, want to bet if Detroit allows carry?

please please please do not ever say that we are not in the wild west any more, I respect your opinion but I get that response a lot from people that are just ignorant to guns and the laws and just regirgitate that answer, no we are not in the wild west but things do happen

Quote:
Yes. Take that away.

We are not in the times of the Wild west. We do not need to defend from train robbers.

Unread
  (#14)

September 19, 2008, 12:11 PM

Gun Deaths - United States Tops The List

The United States leads the world's richest nations in gun deaths -- murders, suicides, and accidental deaths due to guns - according to a study published April 17, 1998 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in the International Journal of Epidemiology.
The U.S. was first at 14.24 gun deaths per 100,000 people. Two other countries in the Americas came next. Brazil was second with 12.95, followed by Mexico with 12.69.
Japan had the lowest rate, at 0.05 gun deaths per 100,000 (1 per 2 million people). The police in Japan actively raid homes of those suspected of having weapons.
The 36 countries in the study were the richest in the World Bank's 1994 World Development Report, having the highest GNP per capita income.
The United States accounted for 45 percent of the 88,649 gun deaths reported in the study, the first comprehensive international scrutiny of gun-related deaths.
The gun-related deaths per 100,000 people in 1994 by country were as follows:
  • U.S.A. 14.24
  • Brazil 12.95
  • Mexico 12.69
  • Estonia 12.26
  • Argentina 8.93
  • Northern Ireland 6.63
  • Finland 6.46
  • Switzerland 5.31
  • France 5.15
  • Canada 4.31
  • Norway 3.82
  • Austria 3.70
  • Portugal 3.20
  • Israel 2.91
  • Belgium 2.90
  • Australia 2.65
  • Slovenia 2.60
  • Italy 2.44
  • New Zealand 2.38
  • Denmark 2.09
  • Sweden 1.92
  • Kuwait 1.84
  • Greece 1.29
  • Germany 1.24
  • Hungary 1.11
  • Ireland 0.97
  • Spain 0.78
  • Netherlands 0.70
  • Scotland 0.54
  • England and Wales 0.41
  • Taiwan 0.37
  • Singapore 0.21
  • Mauritius 0.19
  • Hong Kong 0.14
  • South Korea 0.12
  • Japan 0.05
Health officials believe that guns in the U.S.could become the leading cause of death attributed to injury by the year 2003, surpassing injuries due to motor vehicle crashes.
The National Rifle Association (NRA) termed the study shoddy because it did not examine all causes of violent deaths. ''What this shows is the CDC is after guns," the Associated Press quoted Dr. Paul Blackman from the NRA.
Following are gun safety recommendations of the National Rifle Association which MedicineNet editors suggest those using guns note.
The three fundamental rules of gun safety must always be applied simultaneously when handling or using a gun:
  1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
  2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
  3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
The following gun safety rules should also be observed when using or storing a gun:
  • Know your target and what is beyond.
  • Be sure the gun is safe to operate.
  • Know how to use the gun safely.
  • Use only the correct ammunition for your gun.
  • Wear hearing and eye protection as appropriate.
  • Never use alcohol or drugs before or while shooting.
  • Store guns so they are not accessible to unauthorized persons.
  • Be aware that certain types of guns and many shooting activities require additional safety precautions.

Unread
  (#15)

September 19, 2008, 12:13 PM

The Second Amendment does not say that individuals have the right to own weapons; it says the state can maintain a military. Verbatim, the Second Amendment reads: “A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” Other legal documents at the time refer to the terms of “bearing Arms” as military service.