DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 592
2 members and 590 guests
davidcycle, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
New Home Owner Advice
Unread
  (#1)
konichiwa bitches

Location: Over to the left, up a little more....right there!!....FFX
New Home Owner Advice - July 23, 2009, 08:11 PM

Searched, did not see a thread so.......

Long story short, bought a house. Closed on it this morning. So this is my first house and I figured I would ask for advice from those of you that have been there done that. Stuff to be aware of.....tools I should be thinking of......what they hell is that pink crap you unroll in the roof (okay, that one I know but you get the idea....cotton candy in case the end time comes and foraging for food has become a matter of survival).

So home owners throw it out there.....I am open to suggestions, comments, all that good crap.

Leslie

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

"I'm pretty sure God would consider it a sin not to glorify that ass."

http://www.mrsimcard.com/
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG Bannings: III

July 23, 2009, 08:22 PM

Well you should put up some more info about the house itself.

But the one thing I can't stress enough, don't stretch your budget like crazy right away trying to improve the house spending all your money at Home Depot and Bed Bath and Beyond during your first month.

Not sure what your living arrangement was prior to your new home but you should sit tight and see what your costs are going to pan out to be, they certainly add up....ask me how I know.

When I bought my first house in 2006(laugh it up), the first thing I wanted to do was replace everything with energy efficient this and that, windows, light bulbs, even the HVAC. Well instead of jumping the gun I sat tight, found my energy bills to be tiny in comparison to what I was going to be spending "improving" upon something that ultimately didn't need to be improved upon.

Go say hi to the neighbors blah blah blah and enjoy yourself, you bought at the right time.

As far as tools go, go grab some essentials for the lawn if you have one for the first time, other than that I found accumulating tools as needed was the best recipe, over the last 3 years I've gathered all kinds of tools I wouldn't think I would need at first. Go get a quality all-in-one big kahuna home tool set on sale and a power drill and call it a day for now.

And Congratulations on joining the home owner club.

P.S. Be glad you didn't buy in 2006.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
DFL

July 23, 2009, 08:24 PM

Get regular termite inspections. Termites are nature's terrorists.

"They should have sent a poet"
Unread
  (#4)
konichiwa bitches

July 23, 2009, 08:28 PM

LOL....yeah, really happy with the price and interest rate and all that. Still pricey but better than they were when I look before.

As far as the house goes.....

Single Family (technically a duplex since the garage shares a wall with the neighbor).
Yard front and back.
Fairfax City
Gas (heating water, fireplace)
Single Car Garage
Deck
Wood Floors

Not sure what else to say that might help with the advice......

Leslie

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to lqdgrphcs Send a message via AIM to lqdgrphcs  
Unread
  (#5)
konichiwa bitches

July 23, 2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm-rvt View Post
Get regular termite inspections. Termites are nature's terrorists.
Got one.....so far I am good but I will make note of it.

Leslie

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament

Unread
  (#6)
Site Owner

July 23, 2009, 08:32 PM

Depending on how old your HVAC is, see about getting some sort of insurance on it.. talk to Mike here... My house was brand new in 2001, I bought it in 2003, and in 2008 the air conditioner completely crapped out and I was stuck paying 4000$ for a new one.

C'est la vie.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#7)
TPG Bannings: III

July 23, 2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Depending on how old your HVAC is, see about getting some sort of insurance on it.. talk to Mike here... My house was brand new in 2001, I bought it in 2003, and in 2008 the air conditioner completely crapped out and I was stuck paying 4000$ for a new one.

C'est la vie.
Think I can get insurance on my 1982 heatpump??? lol
Unread
  (#8)
Super Moderator

July 23, 2009, 08:41 PM

One thing a lot of people don't do..

CHANGE YOUR LOCKS!! You have no way of knowing who has a key to your place..Ex girlfriends/boyfriend/weekend fun/etc...neighbors..realtors..yadda yadda..

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#9)
I got nothin....

July 23, 2009, 08:45 PM

I hope you got a fixed rate....I'm sure you did. Anyways, I second Ceaton.... Things like AC's and and what not take A LONG TIME to recoup the cost. Get nice shit when the old stuff breaks..... Kitchens and Bathrooms add the most value to a house....Again... KITCHENS and BATHROOMS add the .. You get the point. Curb apeal matters A LOT! Enjoy!

Ride NAKED or Ride Dirty
Xbox live: declaredmental
Unread
  (#10)
Popplers!

July 23, 2009, 09:12 PM

I don't own a home but I've lived in a few .

I solely recommend getting pest control done every quarter. Have them spray for spiders and other creepies before you put furniture in the house. Then make sure they spray inside every 3 months.

I hate SPIDERS!!!!!

Unread
  (#11)
I hate Hybrid drivers

July 23, 2009, 09:22 PM

have a fucking party for us
Unread
  (#12)
I wanna Ride !

July 23, 2009, 09:29 PM

+1 on the Insurance esp for your appliances even if they are not up there in age. I have the Sears Service agreement on my appliances including ones that have been manufactured for other companies. If they can't repair it they replace it and this they have done with my stove, fridge, washer, dryer, dishwasher, and water heater on many occasions since I've been in this house for many years
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#13)
GDMFSOB

July 24, 2009, 08:37 AM

First of all, congratulations!
Not so sure about the appliance insurance. If they are in decent shape and less than 5 years old, you would be wasting your money. For what it would cost, put that money into a savings or money market account and let it earn interest. Then dip in if you need to. A new gas stove: $400, dishwasher: $200, dryer: $350, what would be the premium of insuring these items for 7 years versus replacement? Besides, insurance will continue to repair them not replace them for as long as possible. I am in my 3rd house and I have never had a major appliance fail. My first house had 10 year old appliances with no issue. I did have to replace the garbage disposal, but that is because they don't like shot glasses. Some food for thought:
http://www.stretcher.com/stories/00/001030a.cfm
http://www.complaints.com/november20...vember19.1.htm
Just my :2cents

#132 EX
Proudly representing: DC-MOTO, Amsoil, SHOEI, Woodcraft-CFM, MARRC

2015 MARRC Crash & Burn Award
2014 MARRC Sportsmanship Award
2013 MARRC Amateur of the Year
2012 MARRC Cornerworker of the Year
www.marrc.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Here is my anus! Deliver thy penis unto it!.
Unread
  (#14)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

July 24, 2009, 08:55 AM

My advice:
Make sure to pay your mortgage on time! Put it on autopay, so you don't have to worry about forgetting. Aside from that, get something to put your feet up on, kick back, crack open a brew, and enjoy not dealing with landlords any longer..........
but get used to dealing with HOA's
Unread
  (#15)
konichiwa bitches

July 24, 2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post

C'est la vie.
Actually the guy who did the inspection told is to check with the Electric company. They do something where they will insure most of the major things like that for a few bucks a month. For $26 bucks they cover hot water heater, plumbing, HVAC and a couple other things.

Leslie

XBOX 360 - Neros Lament