DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 511
1 members and 510 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
The New Liquid Crack in NYC : A Homebrew Drink Called "The Nutcracker"
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

The New Liquid Crack in NYC : A Homebrew Drink Called "The Nutcracker" - September 22, 2010, 04:18 PM

How long before this becomes the new club trend drink (Appletinis, Blue Whales, etc. )?
Where's Magic Rat? I know he whips up his own batches of white lightning.

That highly potent and deceptively sweet alcoholic concoction known around New York City as the Nutcracker has been around for years, but lately, its been getting alot of attention. We all heard N.O.R.E.’s ode, and now even the New York Times have taken notice. The drink is a home brew often made in a Nutcracker peddlers’ kitchen or living room. The recipe varies but generally consists of the highest proof liquors and fruit juice. “Kool-aid”, the Nutcracker dealer from the NY Times article, makes his with 160-proof Devil’s Springs vodka, 151-proof Bacardi 151 rum, Amaretto and cranberry, mango, pineapple and peach nectar. Fruit and jolly ranchers can also be tossed in the mix for added flavor. The beverage is than packaged in plastic bottles (even quarter water bottles) and peddled from apartments, from car trunks, from bodegas and more, all throughout Brooklyn, Queens, Harlem and the Bronx. A New York EZ-Pass to a quick buzz .

Of course, the NYTimes is a bit extreme with their characterization of the drank, but its crazy to see how this ‘hood favorite’ has found its way to the mainstream…

“People in the neighborhood said selling nutcrackers had become more prevalent in the dismal economy, a means some have used to supplement their incomes with quick and easy money. Some who remember the crack boom of the mid-1980s and early 1990s, and the destruction it heaped upon the community, justify the sales, seeing them as akin to marijuana dealing or numbers gambling.” – NYTIMES

Quote:
In Harlem, a Hint of a Previous Era
as Peddlers Stealthily Quench a
Thirst – (New York Times 9/21/10)

“In Prohibition-era Harlem, bootleggers sold cheap and sometimes toxic liquor and moonshine at rent parties and speakeasies for as little as 25 cents a pop.

Rotgut whiskey was sold in basement barrooms, drugstores and delicatessens on Lenox Avenue. Mom-and-pop operations doled out home brews from bathtubs and backyard stills.

Some semblance of those days are back in Harlem, where potent sweet liquor drinks are being mixed at home and sold illegally off stoops, in apartment hallways and in bodegas and barbershops.

The drinks, a blend of various hard liquors and fruit juices, are called nutcracker, and they are being sold in sealed plastic bottles or Styrofoam cups for $5 throughout Harlem.

Sales of the drink have been part of the underground economy for years, but with this summer’s heat and the economic slump they have become more visible. Visitors to any block party or outdoor event in Harlem this summer could not have missed the chant of “Nutcrackers! Nutcrackers!”

People in the neighborhood said selling nutcrackers had become more prevalent in the dismal economy, a means some have used to supplement their incomes with quick and easy money. Some who remember the crack boom of the mid-1980s and early 1990s, and the destruction it heaped upon the community, justify the sales, seeing them as akin to marijuana dealing or numbers gambling.

But others in Harlem, including parents and pastors, say they are worried, particularly because of the drink’s potency, popularity with teenagers and easy availability.

“I think adults and young adults are being very selfish and using greed to raise money,” said the Rev. Vernon Williams, an antiviolence activist who sees a correlation between nutcracker sales and youth violence. “And they are taking this toxic combination of multiple high-level alcohols and selling it indiscriminately to anyone who has the $5.”

Police officials said they were aware of the nutcracker sales and had done what they could to address the issue. They said the department had used both plainclothes and uniformed officers to issue summonses to stores and individuals caught selling it. People found buying the drinks were issued summonses for having an open container of alcohol, the police said.

Sellers include young and older women, blue-collar workers, street hustlers and the underemployed. To give themselves an edge, some sellers even make home deliveries.

Their customers are teenagers, men and women arriving home after a day at work, and young adults who have made it a staple of the party scene. The drinks can also be found in neighborhoods in the Bronx, Brooklyn and Queens but have been ubiquitous this summer in Harlem and Washington Heights.

“It’s definitely a summer drink, and I try to serve them as cold as possible,” said a regular nutcracker seller, a man in his early 30s who goes by the name of Kool-Aid and asked that his full name not be published. “It’s a fruity drink, so you don’t have to sip it with your face all scrunched up; you feel really nice without getting totally bombed out.”

The man said he made six gallons at a time in a big plastic water cooler jug, mixing 160-proof Devil’s Springs vodka, 151-proof Bacardi 151 rum, Amaretto, whatever sweet liqueur he had on hand and a variety of juices depending on the desired flavor, including cranberry, mango, pineapple and peach nectar.

The juice and liquor typically cost him about $300, he said. He also spends about $85 on plastic bottles and sealable caps.

For each $200 or $300 he spends, he said, he makes about $700 in profit.

To distinguish their drinks from others, some nutcracker sellers use various colored caps and infuse the drink with fruit or Jolly Ranchers. Kool-Aid said he added liquor-soaked fruit salad.

People in the neighborhood said they had no idea how nutcracker caught on. But local legend has it that the original nutcracker was created 10 or so years ago at a Chinese restaurant on the border of the Upper West Side and Harlem, where bartenders hid their hands below the counter as they mixed the drink. When people asked what was in it, the bartenders refused to say. The story goes that at some point the bartenders started allowing customers to leave with their drinks, and soon people started dissecting the recipe and making their own.

For some the drink’s presence in Harlem conjures up an era 80 years in its past, when selling and consuming home-concocted alcohol was an illegal, dangerous pastime.

“As a phenomenon it evokes both the romantic and repugnant concoctions of Jazz Age Harlem, the illicit elixir of bathtub gin on the one hand, the toxic tonic of wood-alcohol-based wild whiskey on the other,” said Eric K. Washington, a Harlem historian and author of “Manhattanville: Old Heart of West Harlem.”

Kool-Aid, who has a couple years of college under his belt and lives in the West 140s, says nutcracker helps him pay the bills. He said he had not been able to find full-time work, only occasional maintenance or data entry work through an agency.

But, he said, business had become more risky lately. After a series of articles in The Daily News that raised alarms about sales to minors, police and community leaders began to rein in the sales. A year ago there were as many as six people selling nutcracker on his block, he said, until the police cracked down, emptying bottles on sidewalks and handing out summonses for $250 to $500 to dealers and customers.

He says he abides by a few self-made rules of self-preservation: Don’t sell to teenagers. Never sell to strangers. And never sell it openly in the street, always by phone call or text message and always delivered in the kind of black plastic bags that bodegas use.

“It comes with risks,” he said. “I don’t have a criminal record, so I don’t want to get one for selling drinks.”

Most sellers are not checking buyers for an ID. But because of its sweetness, it is liquor candy to teenagers.

“Alcohol is unquestionably the drug that is most abused by kids; there’s nothing close,” said Joseph Califano, president of the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University. “We read about marijuana, cocaine, heroin, meth. The reality is that alcohol is the entrance of kids into that world, and to sell that stuff to young kids, I think it’s child abuse.”

Mr. Califano said that studies had shown that 80 percent of the people in prison had substance abuse issues, and that there was scientific evidence that alcohol could stunt the adolescent brain.

Kool-Aid said most nutcracker sellers were not thinking about the impact on their buyers. “Hustlers just think it’s all about the buck,” he said. “They don’t care about the families or the parent who’s looking for their child at 1 in the morning, and they’re passed out drunk on somebody’s stoop from too many nutcrackers.” – New York Times, written by Trymaine Lee

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Eddie would go ...

September 22, 2010, 04:29 PM

NORE is a joke: "I'm proud to help the movement, its great"

stuff is so sweet its like crack to kids as the article points out.

surprised adults don't get it with big ass umbrella's in it. Jolly Ranchers? really? Pussies...

Even money that a Jets/Giants/Nets player gets busted with this ..oh wait...they already did.. Jets WR Edwards arraigned on DWI charge in NYC - NFL - Yahoo! Sports

nice one NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
SaS
Sas pronounced Sauce.

September 22, 2010, 04:33 PM

NORE got fat as shit. He looks like he's been drinking too many nutcrackers.

Unread
  (#4)
Knarly Adventurer

September 22, 2010, 04:45 PM

who cares

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#5)
Officially Addicted to Posting

September 22, 2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post
who cares
Im with you. Who gives a fuck? So basically guys are mixing their own drinks in quantity, bottling it in smaller bottles, and then selling it? and its making headlines? That would be like me buying gallons of Jack Daniels and making barrels full of Jack and Cokes, and then selling them in Deer Park bottles. So basically they are selling liqour without a license right? Thats it?

I'm not a leg humper... but I'm super attracted to how fucking stupid she is! - wildjester

Castle: rob, potbelly, stat. i brought the bike, wanna ride 2 up??
ClemsonJeeper: omg i'm in now!
Castle: fvck, did i just put that in the sb?

Last edited by JTG40cal; September 22, 2010 at 06:34 PM..
Unread
  (#6)
Agitator

September 22, 2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG40cal

Im with you. Who gives a fuck? So basically guys are mixing their own drinks in quantity, bottling it in smaller bottles, and then selling it? and its making headlines? That would be like me buying gallons of Jack Daniels and making barrels fulls of Jack and Cokes, and then selling them in Deer Spring bottles. So basically they are selling liqour without a license right? Thats it?
Yup. And how about you just -GIVE- me a case of jack and diet premix? See, that wouldn't be illegal, and in the words of my ancestors...(brando voice) you do me this favor, and you will receive many favors in the future.

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#7)
GP Champ

September 22, 2010, 07:29 PM

jungle juice. nuff said. It will make you regret waking up next to a whale in the morning
Unread
  (#8)
The last urrbendah

September 22, 2010, 07:32 PM

Any dude drinking something called a "nutcracker" will be gargling a set by the end of the night.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#9)
Site Owner

September 22, 2010, 08:53 PM

sounds like jungle juice/purple jesus/whatever college you went to calls it.

cooler + everclear + fruit juice + fresh fruit + marinated for a day or so

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#10)
Brainwash Your Face!

September 22, 2010, 09:07 PM

TWAT SHOT

"Someone should donkey punch that bitch with a waffle iron then upload the video to World Star Hip Hop" ~.Nets Resident Chivalrous Gentlemen Stillie

RIP KATIE RIP BAMBAM RIP VEGA
Gasoline by The Bouncing Souls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxc2cM75NI

Unread
  (#11)
Your Ad Here

September 22, 2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhokie12 View Post
jungle juice. nuff said. It will make you regret waking up next to a whale in the morning
LOL! Have your perhaps seen my thread on what do you say when you're woman gains weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Any dude drinking something called a "nutcracker" will be gargling a set by the end of the night.
LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomchic00 View Post
TWAT SHOT
Whaaaaa....

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to