DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 492
1 members and 491 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
"No Tears" Drug Injection Developed by MIT
Unread
  (#1)
Your Ad Here

"No Tears" Drug Injection Developed by MIT - May 29, 2012, 06:16 PM

MIT’s New “No Tears” Solution for Drug Injections

Published Tue, May 29th, 2012 Justin Fritz

I’m one of those rare people that actually enjoys getting my blood drawn. I know that sounds strange. But there’s something about the process that fascinates me, from the needle piercing the skin to the way the blood blasts into the tube.
If you’re getting squeamish right about now, chances are you don’t share my feelings on the subject. And you’re certainly not alone, as one of the most common reasons people don’t give blood is that they just don’t like needles.
However, there is one way to ease the stress of giving blood or receiving injections. If you’re hung up on the pain, simply averting your gaze might do the trick, according to a recent study.
Scientific American’s Rose Evelethreports that researchers “simulated needle pricks by giving participants a little shock to their hand. As they did that, subjects had to watch three different videos. One was of a needle pricking a hand, another was of a Q-tip touching a hand, and the third was just a hand all by its lonesome self.”
In short, participants said that the pain from the shock was much more intense while watching the needle prick video than with the Q-tip.
That trick can’t work for everyone, though. A 2009 study in Australia found that 22% of people aren’t just annoyed with needles, but are downright afraid of them. And that number jumps to 79% for children age seven and up, according to a study conducted by Impulse Research Corporation.
Not good when 8.3% of the U.S. population has diabetes and requires insulin injections on a regular basis, and the CDC projects that the number of people diagnosed with the disease will jump 165% by 2050.
Luckily, researchers at MIT have developed a new injection technology that’s not only painless, but takes drug delivery to another level.
Drug Delivery At the Speed of Sound
This new system looks like a high-tech syringe. But instead of pumping the drugs into the body with applied pressure, the system combines a magnet and a conductive coil to generate the necessary power.
Essentially, once a charge is sent through the coil, the magnet begins to produce force, which activates a piston that sends the drug down the injector’s nozzle.
The delivery speed reaches almost the speed of sound at around 340 meters per second, which can breach the skin without a needle. And it penetrates the skin through an opening no larger than a mosquito would make. If you’ve ever wound up with several mosquito bites without even knowing the insects were around, you can see how this process would cause zero pain.
That would be huge for getting, say, diabetics with an aversion to needles to take their meds regularly. Like one of the lead researchers involved with the technology, Catherine Hogan, says, “If you are afraid of needles and have to frequently self-inject, compliance can be an issue… We think this kind of technology … gets around some of the phobias that people may have about needles.”
The idea behind the technology isn’t exactly new. In fact, WSD Insider subscribers were alerted to a similar technology back in 2010 and were able to pocket gains of 29% on the company behind the breakthrough. (Go here for more information on how to upgrade your subscription to WSD Insider now.)
But this technology kicks it up a notch by allowing doctors to alter the velocity of the drug delivery. That’s huge, considering some people would require less pressure than others. As Hogan says, “If I’m breaching a baby’s skin to deliver vaccine, I won’t need as much pressure as I would need to breach my skin.”
This also means “the device can be programmed to deliver a range of doses to various depths – an improvement over similar jet-injection systems that are now commercially available,” says Jennifer Chu of MIT News.
Better yet, the process can also be used to remove fluid from the body. So eventually, it can work on getting more people comfortable with donating blood, as well.
Not to mention patients aren’t the only ones who would benefit from this technology. “The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that hospital-based health care workers accidentally prick themselves with needles 385,000 times each year,” says Chu.
Meaning the technology could be just as helpful for inept hospital staff.
Good investing,
Justin Fritz

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Groping is a skill...

May 29, 2012, 09:51 PM

If this technology is good for im then I'm all for it. If someone is bitching about subq injections then they are pussies

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Derpetologist

May 30, 2012, 07:14 AM

Jet injector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
SUPERBITCHIN'

May 30, 2012, 09:49 AM

suppositories ftw!! best way to get medicine in!

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#5)
Groping is a skill...

May 30, 2012, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by {SALVA} View Post
suppositories ftw!! best way to get medicine in!
You know dissss!

2013 Victory Vision Tour

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#6)
Meh

May 30, 2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishexpress View Post
If this technology is good for im then I'm all for it. If someone is bitching about subq injections then they are pussies
Sounds like someone who may have had weekly intramuscular injections?
Unread
  (#7)
Groping is a skill...

May 30, 2012, 05:04 PM

Weekly? Try daily and some days multiple times a day! Those days are behind me though

2013 Victory Vision Tour

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#8)
Meh

May 30, 2012, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Weekly? Try daily and some days multiple times a day! Those days are behind me though
Prop is a bitch with the dailys and the short esters.
Unread
  (#9)
Member of SRWJTS

May 30, 2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
You know dissss!

2001 Kawasaki ZX6R: Yoshi slip-on
1999 Trans AM WS6, Long tubes, full exhaust, extra sexy
2006 GTO 6spd, 1 of 390 Silver, SLP LM1 (Sold)
2001 R1; blue, Yoshi slip on (sold Jan 12, 2012)
(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
1999 Trans Am Ws6 30k miles, 6spd (sold)
1999 Camaro coupe 6 cyl (traded in after a week to get the SS)
Unread
  (#10)
Your Ad Here

May 30, 2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:

“Any man who tries to be good all the time is bound to come to ruin among the great number who are not good. Hence a Prince who wants to keep his authority must learn how not to be good, and use that knowledge, or refrain from using it, as necessity requires”.

- Nicolo Machiavelli 1469-1527

Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Groping is a skill...

May 30, 2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch View Post
Prop is a bitch with the dailys and the short esters.
I never do prop or enth. I got a prescription for cyp and I love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heist View Post

2013 Victory Vision Tour

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#12)
Meh