DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 525
5 members and 520 guests
2blueyam, GRN96WS6, nootherids, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Not sure how I feel about this...possible FTP
Unread
  (#1)
Nothing here

Not sure how I feel about this...possible FTP - November 29, 2006, 08:03 AM

There is an intersection in Vienna at Cedar Lane and (I think) Park Street. This morning I stopped at the 7-11 on my way to work and when I came out there was a town P.O. running radar catching speeders left and right. What possibly bothers me is that he was less than 15 feet away from the group of day laborers and the trucks continued to pick up workers for tax free help.

I have always been a little torn on the whole day labor issue because while I feel strongly that people should pay taxes if I have to and (if illegal) get citezenship the appropriate way, I also understand the need to support their families and respect the hard work they perform. But come on!....run radar right next to that?!?! What a huge Fuck You to the tax paying public trying to get to work on time so they can have more money taken out of their pockets legally.

Your thoughts?
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Owner & Creator

November 29, 2006, 08:07 AM

Don't hate on my people lol

I wish they would make a law, that we would only have to pay taxes one time a month

if we got paid 2 times a month, only 1 pay we would get taxed on
Unread
  (#3)
Bikeless... for now

November 29, 2006, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage R1
Don't hate on my people lol

I wish they would make a law, that we would only have to pay taxes one time a month

if we got paid 2 times a month, only 1 pay we would get taxed on
Good luck with that one

best way to do it is to buy a house, buy some kids, have 401k, home equity loan, health care expenses, blah, blah, blah. Exemptions out the ass. How the rich get richer... the american way!

My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)

Last edited by The New guy; November 29, 2006 at 08:18 AM..
Unread
  (#4)
Owner & Creator

November 29, 2006, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New guy
Good luck with that one
This year I think I'm using SS # 573-40-4820 is that anyones?
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

November 29, 2006, 08:19 AM

That is definitely a slap in the face
Unread
  (#6)
Bikeless... for now

November 29, 2006, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage R1
This year I think I'm using SS # 573-40-4820 is that anyones?
damn it, how the hell did you know my SS number?? Fcuker.

My bike run's on snake oil.... thanks to BG.

'06 ZX-6R in blue
'93 Ninja EX500 (sold)
Unread
  (#7)
Golf Pro

November 29, 2006, 08:53 AM

yea...i agree with ya.

i get raped on every paycheck. Single guys like me in the higher income bracket...sometimes i wish i'm married with kids. o wait...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to EDness  
Unread
  (#8)
Agitator

November 29, 2006, 09:01 AM

I guess the justification could be "well, i assume if you were doing it legally, hiring the laborers as independent contractors means the employer doesn't have the responsibility of witholding taxes...though they still have the responsbility of filing an I-9 (I believe, even for independent contractors, is this incorrect?) So there is no out-right law breaking occuring (unless...GASP...the employer's or the laborers dont' file W-4,1040 and 1099's) so the police really can't do anything, technically the investigatory aspects of tax evasion are burdened on the FBI and IRS (since its a federal crime to evade federal taxes), as for state tax evasion, I don't know who bears the responsibility of investigation / prosecution (local pd?)

oh, fun trivia, ducati used 1098 for the new bike even though its 1099cc's because they wanted to avoid a connection with the 1099 US tax form

also the fraction of the revenue they would get if those individuals paid taxes is probably less than the revenue of the tickets...not to mention, enforcing traffic laws (unfortunately, this mainly means speeding even though other major infractions--changing lanes without signalling, failure to yield, etc--cause far more problems) around an area with a lot of foot and stopping vehicle traffic is probably a good safety idea.

all that being said, this bothers me for two reasons: 1. a blind eye to illegal labor 2. selective enforcement of "easy" to enforce traffic laws

why can't someone make a "bad driver" detector...hell, you'd make a ton more ticket revenue if you ticketed every "no signal when changing lanes, not yielding, weaving, can't follow traffic signs, etc" bad driver instead of every 15-20mph over driver.

as proven time and time again, drivers will drive a comfortable speed regardless of limits...good example: in new mexico (I-25 speed limit 75mph), people drive 80-85...in VA on 66 with no traffic (speed limit 55 inside of centerville), people drive 80-85. Given that modern technology has made cars faster, yet much safer, shouldn't driver education and speed limits be adjusted to compensate? I mean, back in late 70's early 80's a 250hp car was a corvette (ugh, stupid late 70's smog controls)...now a freakin Altima or honda minivan makes more than that...braking performance has increased signfiicantly, I think its time to educate people for the types of cars we now have easy access to, and update the laws accordingly

(cue ben and his graded license concept)

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)

Last edited by birdman; November 29, 2006 at 09:08 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#9)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

November 29, 2006, 09:10 AM

Yea everybody that doesn't have kids says that we get tax breaks. Hmmm I think that it still cost more to have kids even with the breaks! Yes buy a house and get a tax break but if you didn't own a house it would be cheaper unless your rent is way high. Sending your kid to day care does get you a break but it still cost out the ass at any daycare! An infant costs around 800. a month in daycare and thats the min! Back on topic though yes running radar next to a day labor pickup is fucked up!! But thats what the popo does taking your tax money!! And yes that statement will piss off some LEO's but when there is a major gang problem around here and the cops are more worried about speeders than ms13 you tell me that ain't right!

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#10)
Ex-racer TURNED Post Whore

November 29, 2006, 09:13 AM

They get more money for the community if they give out speeding tickets rather than chase day laborers away for the morning.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Christa525 Send a message via AIM to Christa525  
Unread
  (#11)
Super Moderator

November 29, 2006, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madali
There is an intersection in Vienna at Cedar Lane and (I think) Park Street. This morning I stopped at the 7-11 on my way to work and when I came out there was a town P.O. running radar catching speeders left and right. What possibly bothers me is that he was less than 15 feet away from the group of day laborers and the trucks continued to pick up workers for tax free help.

I have always been a little torn on the whole day labor issue because while I feel strongly that people should pay taxes if I have to and (if illegal) get citezenship the appropriate way, I also understand the need to support their families and respect the hard work they perform. But come on!....run radar right next to that?!?! What a huge Fuck You to the tax paying public trying to get to work on time so they can have more money taken out of their pockets legally.

Your thoughts?

Thats because the city told the police not to do anything about them because of political pressure and leave it up to INS. FRIKIN POLITICIANS! I think nsomething should be done about them too. I dont think its fair at all. They dont pay any taxes, in D.C., they are ovewrwhelming all the hospitals and NONE of them have insurance - which in the end I PAY FOR! Not includiong all the other services they get for free and we pay taxes for..Hey, Im hispanic too. I just dont think its right.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#12)
Super Moderator

November 29, 2006, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R
Thats because the city told the police not to do anything about them because of political pressure and leave it up to INS. FRIKIN POLITICIANS! I think nsomething should be done about them too. I dont think its fair at all. They dont pay any taxes, in D.C., they are ovewrwhelming all the hospitals and NONE of them have insurance - which in the end I PAY FOR! Not includiong all the other services they get for free and we pay taxes for..Hey, Im hispanic too. I just dont think its right.

Just walk into Howard Hospital and see what Im talking about

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#13)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

November 29, 2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston-birdman
I guess the justification could be "well, i assume if you were doing it legally, hiring the laborers as independent contractors means the employer doesn't have the responsibility of witholding taxes...though they still have the responsbility of filing an I-9 (I believe, even for independent contractors, is this incorrect?) So there is no out-right law breaking occuring (unless...GASP...the employer's or the laborers dont' file W-4,1040 and 1099's) so the police really can't do anything, technically the investigatory aspects of tax evasion are burdened on the FBI and IRS (since its a federal crime to evade federal taxes), as for state tax evasion, I don't know who bears the responsibility of investigation / prosecution (local pd?)

oh, fun trivia, ducati used 1098 for the new bike even though its 1099cc's because they wanted to avoid a connection with the 1099 US tax form

also the fraction of the revenue they would get if those individuals paid taxes is probably less than the revenue of the tickets...not to mention, enforcing traffic laws (unfortunately, this mainly means speeding even though other major infractions--changing lanes without signalling, failure to yield, etc--cause far more problems) around an area with a lot of foot and stopping vehicle traffic is probably a good safety idea.

all that being said, this bothers me for two reasons: 1. a blind eye to illegal labor 2. selective enforcement of "easy" to enforce traffic laws

why can't someone make a "bad driver" detector...hell, you'd make a ton more ticket revenue if you ticketed every "no signal when changing lanes, not yielding, weaving, can't follow traffic signs, etc" bad driver instead of every 15-20mph over driver.

as proven time and time again, drivers will drive a comfortable speed regardless of limits...good example: in new mexico (I-25 speed limit 75mph), people drive 80-85...in VA on 66 with no traffic (speed limit 55 inside of centerville), people drive 80-85. Given that modern technology has made cars faster, yet much safer, shouldn't driver education and speed limits be adjusted to compensate? I mean, back in late 70's early 80's a 250hp car was a corvette (ugh, stupid late 70's smog controls)...now a freakin Altima or honda minivan makes more than that...braking performance has increased signfiicantly, I think its time to educate people for the types of cars we now have easy access to, and update the laws accordingly

(cue ben and his graded license concept)
Marc sorry to break the news but Virginia is a commonwealth state "they do what they want".
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#14)
Meh

November 29, 2006, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston-birdman
I guess the justification could be "well, i assume if you were doing it legally, hiring the laborers as independent contractors means the employer doesn't have the responsibility of witholding taxes...though they still have the responsbility of filing an I-9 (I believe, even for independent contractors, is this incorrect?)
Last I checked you are only required to file a 1099 MISC as an employer.
Unread
  (#15)
Owner & Creator

November 29, 2006, 10:16 AM

My 1st gear does more than the speed limit. Next time I get pulled over I'm going to tell the officer I was only in 1st gear

Yea taxes suck. I think we all get raped

TOTAL PAY
minus
federal tax
state tax
dental
medical
stocks
Parking
pretax
post tax

=not much taht you take home.