DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 580
4 members and 576 guests
davidcycle, RideUniverse, Scot, Slider
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Number of HOV violators staggering
Unread
  (#1)
GP Champ

Number of HOV violators staggering - November 5, 2009, 02:54 PM

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=600&sid=1802225

ARLINGTON, Va. -- How many drivers are breaking the rules and riding solo in the HOV lanes in the area? A recent high-visibility enforcement effort from the Virginia State Police is providing a snapshot.
On Oct. 21, police set up a large scale enforcement effort along I-95/395. Between 6 a.m. and 9 a.m., 89 tickets were issued to drivers, including two summonses for drivers caught ignoring the HOV rules for the second time.
In one instance, a driver was arrested for drunken driving.
"One of the troopers arrested a DUI at 7 a.m. that morning, driving alone in the HOV lanes. His blood alcohol level was twice the legal limit," Capt. Tracy Russillo, division commander in Northern Virginia for the Virginia State Police, tells WTOP.
State Police say they are stepping up patrols against HOV cheaters. It has become such a focus in Northern Virginia that some officers are getting overtime to solely focus on enforcing HOV lanes.
Between July 26 and Sept. 12, officers in Northern Virginia, who were strictly focused on HOV enforcement, issued 2,200 summonses. That is not counting officers who simply encountered a violator and issued a ticket while riding in the HOV lanes.
Last year, the Virginia State Police issued 18,269 summonses for violations of the HOV law in Northern Virginia.
Police say large-scale enforcement efforts, like the one last month in Arlington, will continue.
"We will be conducting more of these projects in the near future," says Russillo.
Here's a breakdown of various infractions during last month's special initiative:
  • 69 HOV violations (first offense)
  • Two HOV violations (second offense)
  • One DUI
  • Two "Move Over" violations (driving past a stopped officer without changing lanes or slowing down)
  • 15 other traffic violations
Motorists who violate HOV laws face the following fines:
  • First offense is a $125 fine
  • Second offense is a $250 fine
  • Third offense is a $500 fine
  • Fourth offense is a $1,000 fine
(Copyright 2009 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
TPG - screw face

November 5, 2009, 03:01 PM

yea it's retarded. when I used to ride 66E in the AM on my bike and see cagers solo in the HOV, I would get infront of them and slow down A LOT and then point at the HOV sign so they would have enough time to read it.

if they sped up and tried to pass, I would let them back in the lane then point them out to the popo
Unread
  (#3)
SUPERBITCHIN'

November 5, 2009, 03:03 PM

2.3 milli last year (using the 125 fine) Wow.

E che cazzo!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to {SALVA}  
Unread
  (#4)
I hate Hybrid drivers

November 5, 2009, 03:05 PM

I'm indifferent about enforcement of HOV violators. It drives me nuts to see 6 cops sitting on the ramp from the HOV lanes to the regular lanes just before the mixing bowl in the mornings. What if something happened down in Dale City and we have what must be all or close to the allotted State Police for that I-95 stretch sitting on one exit ramp writing HOV violation tickets.

And i remember when they did the crack down. they caused an 8 mile backup and delayed and infuriated thousands of drivers... all for 71 HOV tickets? Ridiculous.

Oh and I'm also mad that when they slow everyone down they check to see if i have an Inspection Sticker on my bike... fuckers. Thank you for the ticket ossifer.

Last edited by david636; November 5, 2009 at 03:07 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
Site ADMIN

November 5, 2009, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david636 View Post
What if something happened down in Dale City and we have what must be all or close to the allotted State Police for that I-95 stretch sitting on one exit ramp writing HOV violation tickets.

I believe you would call PR William County Police.

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#6)
I hate Hybrid drivers

November 5, 2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
I believe you would call PR William County Police.
not if it's on the highway dingleberry
Unread
  (#7)
AMA Superbike Champ

November 5, 2009, 03:13 PM

This is just a symptom of a broken transportation system.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CBontheMV  
Unread
  (#8)
Super Moderator

November 5, 2009, 03:14 PM

I dont agree with HOV..I think they should get rid of it alltogether. Its already proven to be a failed concept because people dont like carpooling...

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#9)
Your Ad Here

November 5, 2009, 03:14 PM

Virginia...
Continuing to give it to people in the ass and the residents gladly accept.
  Facebook Page MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#10)
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

November 5, 2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion9R View Post
I dont agree with HOV..I think they should get rid of it alltogether. Its already proven to be a failed concept because people dont like carpooling...
That's kind of the idea though, if everyone car-pooled then the HOV wouldn't get you there any faster.

I think they should remove the right for single occupant Hybrids to use the HOV.

-Ryan
Unread
  (#11)
I hate Hybrid drivers

November 5, 2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
I think they should remove the right for single occupant Hybrids to use the HOV.
I agree. they are slow, mindless drivers off in their own little green world.
Unread
  (#12)
just some dude

November 5, 2009, 04:02 PM

i always thought the idea of hov was less pollution, which explains why they let hybrids with single drivers onto it.

2013 Toyota Prius C4, holding up traffic...
2009 FZ1 (R-77 carbon exhaust, PC V, BMC air filter, D-shaped 'flies, chopped airbox and AIS, FCE; SW-Motech toprack and quick-release siderack, E55 topcase, pair of V35 sidecase, Woodcraft frame sliders)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to novasquid Send a message via AIM to novasquid  
Unread
  (#13)
I hate Hybrid drivers

November 5, 2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
i always thought the idea of hov was less pollution, which explains why they let hybrids with single drivers onto it.
that is the idea but then it came out that the EPA grossly overestimated the MPG they get so their HOV rights were revoked. Congressman Connelly is trying to get them reinstated. Last i heard they cut off hybrids and only the ones that were already purchased could use HOV but no newly purchased Hybrids could use HOV and they would phase all of them out as the hybrids broke or their owners bought new cars. Not sure if that is the case still. I know 95s HOV is packed with them.
Unread
  (#14)
Super Moderator

November 5, 2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark View Post
That's kind of the idea though, if everyone car-pooled then the HOV wouldn't get you there any faster.

But thats the thing. Everyone is not going to carpool and its borderline ignorant to think that most people will. People have different things to do right after work such as babysitters, sports, happy hours. I

Quote:
Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
Less polution..So take away a lane and make all the rest of the vehicles sit in traffic for a lot more time and cause more pollution so ONE car can save gas and help the enviorment.

Bottom line - My tax money put those lanes there. I want them back. Get rid of them.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
-George Orwell

CCS Amateur #588
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Scorpion9R Send a message via AIM to Scorpion9R Send a message via MSN to Scorpion9R  
Unread
  (#15)
5 yrs till Brood X emerge

November 5, 2009, 05:53 PM

The only reason they are enforcing HOV is VA needs tax dollars for the state budget. Same thing w/ speed cameras in MD.