DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 570
1 members and 569 guests
tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Nurburgring Record Video
Unread
  (#1)
GP Racer

Nurburgring Record Video - August 28, 2008, 07:36 PM

http://www.motortrend.com/av/feature...deo/index.html

The Viper ACR breaks the Nurburgring production-car record recently set by the Corvette ZR-1. There's some really impressive driving, but the guy does spend lots of time bouncing off the rev limiter and missing shifts. I only wish I could drive that well.

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#2)
God of the Gaps

August 28, 2008, 11:38 PM

Ah, memories.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Popplers!

August 29, 2008, 08:10 AM

I noticed many missed shifts, he could have been faster. I also noticed he never got to 5th and 6th? Or was the gearbox weirdly designed?

Why have 5th and 6th when the entire ring was done from 2nd-4th.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Typical Stripper

August 29, 2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karrotx
I noticed many missed shifts, he could have been faster. I also noticed he never got to 5th and 6th? Or was the gearbox weirdly designed?

Why have 5th and 6th when the entire ring was done from 2nd-4th.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
This Ain't My First Time!

August 29, 2008, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangle
http://www.motortrend.com/av/feature...deo/index.html

The Viper ACR breaks the Nurburgring production-car record recently set by the Corvette ZR-1. There's some really impressive driving, but the guy does spend lots of time bouncing off the rev limiter and missing shifts. I only wish I could drive that well.
I noticed he was hitting the rev limiter just before he would get to and make the car turn. I think he may have been hitting the rev limiter on purpose. When he got into the straights he would up shit.

OVER? did you say "Over"? Nothing is over until we decide its over, was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell No!!!

~Blutarski~

Dodge131:
If your goal is to scrape knee within 1 mile of your house then you sir have a problem.

Men have two emotions: Hungry and Horny. If you see him without an erection, make him a sandwich.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Officially Addicted to Posting

August 29, 2008, 09:19 AM

You guys make me laugh!

I'll just post this and let you figure out the rest:

Quote:
At 8 a.m., FIA World Touring Car Championship (WTCC) driver Tom Coronel, who pilots a Leon TFSi for SEAT Team Holland, arrives at the track, ready to be debriefed and prepped for his 9 a.m. start time. In addition to his time in WTCC, Coronel, a Dutchman, has compiled extensive experience in Formula 3, Formula Nippon, and, most significant on this day, the 24-hour race at the Nurburgring. After donning his race suit and conversing with the SRT engineers, Coronel squeezes into the red-and-black ACR (a black-and-gray ACR was brought along as a back-up) and departs on his warm-up lap.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...ord/index.html
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#7)
Eddie would go ...

August 29, 2008, 09:58 AM

... I know Tom.... I'll introduce him to Karrotx and tell him he has some pointers...

btw Tom makes quite the living racing in touring car and open wheel classes

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.

Last edited by Dutch; August 29, 2008 at 10:00 AM..
Unread
  (#8)
Meh

August 29, 2008, 01:47 PM

Those numbers are a bit unrepresentative.

Put those race spec tires, front splitter, wing, and do the weight reduction to the production ZR1, and then lets see the numbers pan out.
Unread
  (#9)
Popplers!

August 29, 2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
Sorry? Something I said was wrong?

Dutch, I don't have pointers.
Unread
  (#10)
Give me the Ban Button!

August 29, 2008, 02:58 PM

Thats bad ass. There is nothing wrong with bouncing the car off the rev limiter that close to the entrance of a corner. We do it all the time in the drift car.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Racer

August 29, 2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHatch
Those numbers are a bit unrepresentative.

Put those race spec tires, front splitter, wing, and do the weight reduction to the production ZR1, and then lets see the numbers pan out.
Ok, I'll bite...

To make it a fair race, you would then have to give the Viper carbon-ceramic brakes, electro-hydraulic suspension, a supercharger (1000hp, anyone?), traction control, gear the car appropriately for the ring, and let the Dodge team spend a month at the ring tweaking the car.

As for the tires, the ZR-1 runs a specially developed Michelin PS2 while the Viper runs Michelin PS-cups. I don't know how "special" the PS2s are, but the tread compounds are pretty close with the normal PS2s.

The point is, we're talking about a production car record. Both cars were tested in as-delivered condition, plus a roll bar/cage (well, the ZR-1 was pre-production, but we won't hold that against it). The Vette driver was an engineer intimitely familiar with the car (with a TON of seat time... there's a reason GM picked him to drive it), while the Viper driver was a race driver intimitely familiar with the course. Would the Vette be faster with a professional driver? yes. Would the Viper be faster if the driver had done more than 4 laps (the record was set on his third lap of the ring) and set up the car to his liking? definitely. You can knock the inherent advantages of the Viper all you want, but the two cars are aimed at the same niche at about the same price (you can buy an ACR today for MSRP... how about the Vette?).

Both are quick enough that mere mortals such as myself will spend the rest of our lives learning to drive a car like that and might, just might, become proficient enough to drive the car close to the limit. I know which one I want...

'02 SV-650S track bike (for sale, but in Shreveport, LA)
'05 Yamaha TTR-125L
'94 Dodge Viper RT/10
other boring stuff

Last edited by mangle; August 29, 2008 at 06:26 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to mangle  
Unread
  (#12)
Full spin ahead.

August 29, 2008, 08:37 PM

"At 150 mph, the regular Viper coupe generates 100 pounds of downforce; at the same speed, the Viper ACR generates 1000 pounds of downforce."

Besides the 'production car' part, comparing the ACR to the ZR-1 isn't exactly apples-to-apples. The chief engineer stated that the ZR-1 wasn't designed to target the track rat or club racer crowd. It has more GT car characteristics and is about 200 lbs heavier than the Z06.

I'll take either one or both, please.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#13)
Agitator

August 30, 2008, 08:58 AM

Not to mention even the viper was only 7s behind the GTR...which is 10's of thousands of $$ cheaper than either the ZR1 or the ACR, has a functional back seat, is hundreds of pounds heavier, has less horsepower, a decent sound system, A/C, trunk carpeting, and AWD. So, since the viper was only 4s faster than the ZR1, and the ZR1 only 3 faster than the skyline...on a track that is more than 2-3 times longer than any track in the US, is that laptime worth $10k per second?

Marc
CCS Amateur #851
2001 Ducati 850RS
2006 SV650 Racebike
2010 CBR1000RR

...and because sometimes you want to go fast, but need 4 wheels:
2009 Nissan GT-R
2003 Nissan 350Z (for sale, $11k OBO)
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to birdman  
Unread
  (#14)
Meh

August 30, 2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangle
Ok, I'll bite...

To make it a fair race, you would then have to give the Viper carbon-ceramic brakes, electro-hydraulic suspension, a supercharger (1000hp, anyone?), traction control, gear the car appropriately for the ring, and let the Dodge team spend a month at the ring tweaking the car.

As for the tires, the ZR-1 runs a specially developed Michelin PS2 while the Viper runs Michelin PS-cups. I don't know how "special" the PS2s are, but the tread compounds are pretty close with the normal PS2s.

The point is, we're talking about a production car record. Both cars were tested in as-delivered condition, plus a roll bar/cage (well, the ZR-1 was pre-production, but we won't hold that against it). The Vette driver was an engineer intimitely familiar with the car (with a TON of seat time... there's a reason GM picked him to drive it), while the Viper driver was a race driver intimitely familiar with the course. Would the Vette be faster with a professional driver? yes. Would the Viper be faster if the driver had done more than 4 laps (the record was set on his third lap of the ring) and set up the car to his liking? definitely. You can knock the inherent advantages of the Viper all you want, but the two cars are aimed at the same niche at about the same price (you can buy an ACR today for MSRP... how about the Vette?).

Both are quick enough that mere mortals such as myself will spend the rest of our lives learning to drive a car like that and might, just might, become proficient enough to drive the car close to the limit. I know which one I want...
Okay, I will bite as well.

Production car...that is like calling the Superbird a production car. All car manufacturers are guilty of doing it but this Viper ACR is a purpose built race car.

Put a blower on the Viper...okay. Lets add another liter (15%) of displacement to the vette. BTW, your 1000HP number is a pipe dream if you are talking about bumping down the compression ratio on the Viper to 9 to 1 and adding a roots-style blower with only 10lbs of boost max. The viper would make the same power per CI if not less. The cylinder head on the LS9 is more efficient than the Viper head.

Suspension...Viper ACR comes with a tuned race suspension just for the track. Not exactly ride friendly.

Brakes...upgraded Lightweight 2-piece rotors

Drivetrain...lightweight 2-piece clutch and very nice limited slip piece. Lightweight wheels to boot and race spec tires.

Body...aero mods out the ying yang and weight reduction.

Tires....no comparison my friend. You are way off on that. Just look at treadwear ratings...220 to 80. The PS Cups are race tires with a way more aggressive tread design.

The pricing thing...we are getting a little off topic now.

My only point was, and it is still valid, put better rubber on the Vette, ditch the radio and some other weight items, put a splitter and wing on the back...it is quicker around the circuit than the Viper.

As far as Birdman's comments...the Skyline is tough to be in bang for the buck. You can't argue with AWD handling and track times. Certainly makes the track times fall.