DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 166
2 members and 164 guests
2blueyam, HotRod1200
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Unread
  (#16)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 5, 2012, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge131 View Post
And yes this is horrible but how many people in this day and age run when shit happens and how many help? People that have the training yes would and should help but most people do not know how to confront their own panic of flight and really help out. And for those that say I would have helped really would you? Have you ever been in a situation of fight or flight and stayed to fight? How many of us on here would have the nerve to try to pull him up knowing that you could get pulled in front of that train also?
Cuz it takes training now to yank a dude back onto a platform

-Fitz

2016 Harley Softail Slim S
2012 Harley Ultra Limited in Ultra Annoying Orange Sold!
2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
2001 Superhawk Abandoned!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Brace Yourselves... the cries of "It's too cold to ride" are coming...
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#17)
GP Racer

December 5, 2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
Cuz it takes training now to yank a dude back onto a platform
The training he's referring to is conditioning your reaction so that you run toward trouble and not away from it or freeze in place, not knowing what to do. It's counterintuitive to the average person's natural reaction. We all tend to freeze or flee when trouble occurs.
Unread
  (#18)
Eddie would go ...

December 5, 2012, 08:31 AM

cowards, all of them

We have a whole WSHH generation of this crap to look forward to

comment on article:

"Its disgusting that the camera man should make money out of a crime that he could have actually helped not occur."

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.

Last edited by Dutch; December 5, 2012 at 08:36 AM..
Unread
  (#19)
Eddie would go ...

December 5, 2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zice View Post
The training he's referring to is conditioning your reaction so that you run toward trouble and not away from it or freeze in place, not knowing what to do. It's counterintuitive to the average person's natural reaction. We all tend to freeze or flee when trouble occurs.
yet most people run to a fire... We love to see the neighbor's place burn

Quote:
Unread
  (#20)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

December 5, 2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Thank you.

www.RnRcycles.com

Home of RNR Repsol Racing.

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#21)
Knarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Dutch and I only agree on a few things... cool cafe bike, and THIS!
haha!

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#22)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
I like to watch from inside the burning house. Then jump out the 2nd floor for effect.

www.RnRcycles.com

Missing all my fallen friends and family! If Life Was Easy Then Everyone Would Do It!
Unread
  (#23)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 5, 2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:

That's called cowardice

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#24)
Full spin ahead.

December 5, 2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Yeah, some people freeze in the panic of the moment, but you'd think that in a generally populated place, there would be someone who had the ability to react. Oh, right, someone did react: he pulled out his camera, turned it on, and started clicking away.

Besides, I thought that 'freezing' was more of a reaction to fight-or-flight where one perceives sudden danger. You'd think that this would be diminished in a situation where someone else is in danger where you don't have to first deal with your own survival instinct.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to scarab  
Unread
  (#25)
#47 GODSPEED BAMBAM

December 5, 2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
That's called cowardice
No it is not.

Well by definition it is but not everyone can handle doing things that take a strong will.

www.RnRcycles.com

Unread
  (#26)
Eddie would go ...

December 5, 2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjester View Post
Dutch and I only agree on a few things... cool cafe bike, and THIS!
haha!
I thought we were cool on hookers and beer too?

no?

Quote:
Unread
  (#27)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 5, 2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
No it is not.

Well by definition it is but not everyone can handle doing things that take a strong will.
Right. And those that cannot, are cowards.

If you can't be bothered to at least ATTEMPT to save someone from death, you're a coward and a waste of space.

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!

Unread
  (#28)
On vacation

December 5, 2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Why didn't you give a dollar? You could have saved that kid in Africa from starving to death yesterday?
Completely different scenario and circumstances. One is a massive ongoing problem involving millions of people across the world and the other is a single instance where a little effort could likely have saved this poor man's life.

Quote:
No, as a bystander, you have no legal obligation to jump in and save someone's life. A moral obligation, perhaps, but that's it.

Apparently, the victim was unemployed and drunk, so people probably just thought it was two bums fighting and didn't want to get involved. Homeless people have "subhuman" status among society. Their lives are worth a little less to the collective.

I definitely would've pulled the old man out of there. It would have been epic.
I don't think he looked homeless based on the pictures I saw. And just cuz he was drinking doesn't mean that he was drunk. I'm not arguing with you, just saying that those aren't excuses for attempting to help save someone's life.

Quote:
And yes this is horrible but how many people in this day and age run when shit happens and how many help? People that have the training yes would and should help but most people do not know how to confront their own panic of flight and really help out. And for those that say I would have helped really would you? Have you ever been in a situation of fight or flight and stayed to fight? How many of us on here would have the nerve to try to pull him up knowing that you could get pulled in front of that train also?
I don't call it courage but I always step in to act when I feel it's necessary, moreso because I know that it's unlikely that anyone else will. I've driven in the opposite direction on the Beltway to help a car that I watched flip, I've parked on the shoulder and dodged traffic on the other side of the highway to help a biker that crashed. I've always been compelled to help someone that may need it, if even as a witness.

Quote:
My wife wants to get LASIK or a boob job

She asked my opinion

I told her I have no vested interest in making her eyesight better
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex View Post
Im not really fast enough to notice a difference between tires. I buy the kind thats black and made out of rubber.

Last edited by RileysDad; December 5, 2012 at 09:07 AM..
Unread
  (#29)
Site ADMIN

December 5, 2012, 09:11 AM

This is being argued on reddit as well. Someone posted a pic of the guy cut up by the train.

The leading argument for why someone didnt do anything was because the time from the guy getting pushed to a train showing up was pretty short. So now you are talking about the shock value and no time to process correctly what to do. 2nd I think folks were afraid that if they tried to pull him out with the train coming, that they themselves would get pulled in and killed.

Obviously armchair quarterback its easier to make a decision. But I can understand how this would happen. It doesnt make it right, nor does this reasoning hold a lot of value if the guy was able to take a pic in the time of the train coming...

This post was prepared as a service to the DCSportbikes.net community. Neither the DCSportbikes.net ADMINS nor any of the moderators, makes any warranty, expressed or implied, or assumes any legal liability or responsibility for the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information, product, link, or process disclosed, or represents that its use would not infringe privately owned rights. Reference herein to any specific commercial products, process, or service by trade name, trademark manufacturer, or otherwise, does not necessarily constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by DCSportbikes.net. The opinions of this author expressed herein do not necessarily state or reflect those of the DCSportbikes.net community, and shall not be used for advertising or product endorsement purposes.
__________________________________________________ ________

Alex
13 Honda Fury
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to spud Send a message via MSN to spud  
Unread
  (#30)
SRWJTS SGT-At-Arms

December 5, 2012, 09:13 AM

That's my biggest gripe. If you have time to take a pic, you had time to at least ATTEMPT to pull the dude up.

As for the "you could get sucked in too" argument.... yeah, i guess you could fall too, or be pulled in if you couldn't pull him up in time.

I still believe it's important to make the attempt.

-Fitz

2012 V-Strom 1000 Sold!
2009 Buell 1125R Sold!
2005 Superhawk Sold!
1981 CB650C Destroyed!