DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 580
2 members and 578 guests
beatle, CrazyMotorcycleGuy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Occasional IT position
Unread
  (#1)
Go Team Venture!!!

Occasional IT position - February 22, 2009, 12:42 PM

Guys,
I am looking for someone who can come in and occasionally do some IT work for me. We're a small Document Scanning company in Tyson’s Corner. I am the COO for the company but also handle "ALL" of our IT. I am looking for someone who can be on call for occasional computer repair and server maintenance. We have about 10 Dell PCs running XP connected to scanners and 3 Dell 2970 servers (one DHCP/DNS running Win Serv 2008 and two application specific servers OCR/Conversion running Win Serv 2003). We do a lot of work with confidential/secure documents so this will require a background check, so no criminal activity more than an occasional speeding ticket (I just had to fire someone with public drunkenness from their college days). You also must be clean cut, so no Mohawks, or nose/lip/tongue/etc piercing. You must have 2 years or more of server admin experience with Windows server 2003 or 2008 and 5 years of desktop support experience. This is occasional consulting work not part or full time work.

Please email your resume to jobs@digitaldocumentsllc.com. Do not PM me requesting the hourly rate, where the job is, or any other questions. Just send your resume to the address above. If I want to contact you I will.

"Whore Force One" pilot
The Whitest of White Boys
Not 40 yet!
The Force is strong in this one
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Champ

February 22, 2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Do not PM me requesting the hourly rate, where the job is, or any other questions. Just send your resume to the address above. If I want to contact you I will.
Wow, that sure is a pretentious sounding ad for what sounds like a shit-can of a job. I guess since times are hard, you might get some bites.

"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." - Arthur Ashe
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Go Team Venture!!!

February 22, 2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseTooth View Post
Wow, that sure is a pretentious sounding ad for what sounds like a shit-can of a job. I guess since times are hard, you might get some bites.
Not really, the last time I posted a job op here, people complained about the pay, the hours, the work, etc. Then PM'ed the hell out of me asking questions already answered in the posting. I don't have any control over the pay or hours. The market sucks, lots of people are out of a job and will take anything they can get. I am trying to share a bit of the wealth. I don't need to hire someone I can easily continue to do it myself as my boss wants. Instead I am offering something out to the community. You want the job, follow the directions, don't want the job then feel free to post inane comments here.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Jedi Send a message via AIM to Jedi Send a message via MSN to Jedi  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

February 22, 2009, 02:37 PM

Oh I see, you are scarred from a previous experience. Sorry that went so poorly for you. I was honestly just giving a point of view. Re-reading it, it was a little rough. Maybe it's not a 'shit-can' job. Of course without knowing the hours or rate, that's hard to tell. May be just right for a free-lancer who is running thin right about now!

Quote:
You want the job, follow the directions, don't want the job then feel free to post inane comments here.
Who gets to define inane? Maybe you meant annoying.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inane
in⋅ane

 /ɪˈneɪn/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [i-neyn] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. lacking sense, significance, or ideas; silly: inane questions. 2. empty; void. –noun 3. something that is empty or void, esp. the void of infinite space.
Origin:
1655–65; < L inānis

Unread
  (#5)
Go Team Venture!!!

February 22, 2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Oh I see, you are scarred from a previous experience. Sorry that went so poorly for you. I was honestly just giving a point of view. Re-reading it, it was a little rough. Maybe it's not a 'shit-can' job. Of course without knowing the hours or rate, that's hard to tell. May be just right for a free-lancer who is running thin right about now!

Who gets to define inane? Maybe you meant annoying.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inane
in⋅ane

 /ɪˈneɪn/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [i-neyn] Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective 1. lacking sense, significance, or ideas; silly: inane questions. 2. empty; void. –noun 3. something that is empty or void, esp. the void of infinite space.
Origin:
1655–65; < L inānis
Yep, that is how I define inane as well. Now how about you define shitcan job? This position will put extra money in someones pocket. I could go out and hire geeksquad or some other dip shit company but I wanted to keep it in the family. There are a lot of IT peeps here who are out of work. I thought I would give DCSBN first crack at it. You never know where it could go. What I do know is it will put some money in someones pocket who might need it. There are a lot worse things out there then occasion work.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#6)
GP Champ

February 22, 2009, 02:58 PM

Sorry man, honestly. You're right that a job is a special thing right now.

Unread
  (#7)
Go Team Venture!!!

February 22, 2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Sorry man, honestly. You're right that a job is a special thing right now.
Great! Thanks for understanding.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#8)
B
It goes to 11.

February 22, 2009, 03:22 PM

I'll forward my resume tonight. Depending on the rate and SLA you all require this might be something I'd be interested in.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#9)
Lurking

February 22, 2009, 10:42 PM

Sounds like a great opportunity for someone to supplement their main source of income. Unfortunately, my career changed from server/desktop support to networking when windows 2000 was just coming out. I still do desktop support and repair on the side but its been awhile since I've done anything on the server side.

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CrazyDaDa  
Unread
  (#10)
Eddie would go ...

February 22, 2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
(I just had to fire someone with public drunkenness from their college days)
ehmm isn't the point of a background check that you do it BEFORE you hire them? Did they suddenly regress to college? Seems a rather inane procedure for such a 'clean cut' shop....

and Yes Stillie..in this case you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.
Unread
  (#11)
ATTN INVESTORS!

February 23, 2009, 12:43 AM

Last edited by rekoniz; February 23, 2009 at 03:06 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#12)
ATTN INVESTORS!

February 23, 2009, 03:09 AM

Last edited by rekoniz; February 23, 2009 at 03:11 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#13)
Go Team Venture!!!

February 23, 2009, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
ehmm isn't the point of a background check that you do it BEFORE you hire them? Did they suddenly regress to college? Seems a rather inane procedure for such a 'clean cut' shop....

and Yes Stillie..in this case you are right
We had made the offer dependant on a clean background check. He was supposed to start today. So technically I did not fire him just rescinded the offer. My boss has a 0 tolerance on any criminal activity.

edit: unless of course it's him who is breaking the law.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!
Unread
  (#14)
Owner of the Site Owner

February 23, 2009, 06:43 AM

I have a full time job - but have very flexible hours. Can you give me an idea on "occasionally," thanks.

-

I tow 747s

"gixrB: I like it hard, with a lot of feel"
Unread
  (#15)
Go Team Venture!!!

February 23, 2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauliodotnet View Post
I have a full time job - but have very flexible hours. Can you give me an idea on "occasionally," thanks.
Sorry, I can't. It's when we have issues come up. We will need a pretty quick turn around. 8 hours is probably too late.

"Whore Force One" pilot
Not 40 yet!