DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 877
4 members and 873 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, nootherids, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Office Politics
Unread
  (#1)
Retired to most ...

Office Politics - November 9, 2006, 01:24 PM

Here is my issue:

I've just started workign at the new job and it's become evident pretty quickly that these guys are in total chaos compaired to where I came from. The reason for that is the place I came from was much more established and much bigger. I know exactly how to make the process run smooth and right and increase productivity 10 fold. However this means revamping EVERY department to even out the work loads. Here is the rub:

1) It's pretty obvious that the most senior person in my department feels threatened by my knowlege and experience so running this through her is pretty much a waste of air. I also get the feeling she'll try to take credit for the work if I wrote a new plan and just gave it to her. I've already proven several times that what she is "teaching" can be done a much better way which only seemed to piss her off.

2) It seems to me that the my direct manager is not a fan of change she didn't think of and shoots down most anything I suggest. She is starting to "train" us all in ways to be more productive but it's useless training since it doesn't work. I know it doesn't work because I've been there when it didn't with my other company.

This company has a great foundation and ton of room for growth and potential and I'd love to help get it going in that direction!

Now I'm not Mr. Know It All but I've been doing this long enough, with much higher volume and a much ffaster pace I guess my question is how do I get the plan and all the ideas out there and into the hands of the right people without over stepping my bounds and pissing people off?

Please don't post whore this thread. Looking for good feed back here!!

God Speed Jeff! You'll never be forgotten.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JohnnySpeed1KRR  
Unread
  (#2)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

November 9, 2006, 01:31 PM

Cookies. Get on everyone's good side by bringing in cookies.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
B
It goes to 11.

November 9, 2006, 01:33 PM

Relationships mean a lot more than knowledge in a work enviroment. Be cautious.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#4)
Ling Long

November 9, 2006, 01:33 PM

Dont' make waves when you first get there... you're still an outsider.

By all means, hit the ground running... but get a feel for the people first. Present ideas in a constructive, non-threatening manner. Right now, they don't know you or trust you and may feel that you're speaking out of line as "the new guy"...

You were brought in as a worker bee, not management, remember that... you can subtly change some things and slowly bring up things that would make things easier until you're more acclimated to the new environment.

Or, you can write an all out proposal on changing things and submit it to your DIRECT management... and let them parouse it.

Or... things may run the way they do because of things that happen occasionally. You haven't been there long enough to know everything about the job site... give it some time, you may find that some of the things are done for a reason... or that you only think they're hectic because you're used to doing it another way...

Give it time at first, IMO.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#5)
GP Racer

November 9, 2006, 01:34 PM

First off, I am not sure how long you have been there, but you really need to spend a few weeks/months assesing. You can't go in to a new environment with the "we did it this way at my last job". Even if it's a better process, your new co-workers will label you as a know it all.

I just made a big career change myself and have been laying really low. Slowly and surely I will start laying out my processes. Showing my co workers how my experiance can benefit them and what I bring to the table, while also complimenting their strengths and what they bring to the table. I hate office politics myself, but if you don't play you sit on the bench.

You need to turn the screw of change slowly in most cases.

just my two copper....
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to Busamac70  
Unread
  (#6)
Kat
Finally got a garage!

November 9, 2006, 01:37 PM

One thing I found that works with my stepmother is I'll describe something in MY experience..."In MY experience, this is what happened to me and this is what I did to solve it." Then I'll invite her to consider if this solution will work for her. It's nonthreatening and allows her to think she thought if it herself.

**Sara**
"She wont be so fuckable covered in road rash." -boomchic00

"The whore force is strong in this one."
Kevers

BamBam, I miss you more than words can say.
Unread
  (#7)
Retired to most ...

November 9, 2006, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
Dont' make waves when you first get there... you're still an outsider.

By all means, hit the ground running... but get a feel for the people first. Present ideas in a constructive, non-threatening manner. Right now, they don't know you or trust you and may feel that you're speaking out of line as "the new guy"...

You were brought in as a worker bee, not management, remember that... you can subtly change some things and slowly bring up things that would make things easier until you're more acclimated to the new environment.

Or, you can write an all out proposal on changing things and submit it to your DIRECT management... and let them parouse it.

Or... things may run the way they do because of things that happen occasionally. You haven't been there long enough to know everything about the job site... give it some time, you may find that some of the things are done for a reason... or that you only think they're hectic because you're used to doing it another way...

Give it time at first, IMO.
Exactly my point. I don't wanna tell everyone they are fuckin up. The current job does they exact same thing my other job does and they have even said they want to get to that level.

They brought me in paying much more then even the most senior person. They had to have done that for a reason and I don't think it was to let things ride in their current state of complete chaos.

Just don't know how to make it happen.

BOOSTZX3 : in all seriousness head injuries ain't no joke. I've had around 10 concussions and now I ride a Buell Don't let it happen to you!
Unread
  (#8)
ATTN INVESTORS!

November 9, 2006, 01:50 PM

Companies work differently and have varying "paces" in which changes are made. I've had people come into my firm from larger companies with higher levels of experience and offer great ideas from the moment they stepped in the door. Thats not always well received regardless how good the ideas are. Try to remember that others before you may have had great ideas but ran into constraints or difficulty in trying to turn those ideas into action. Change is often resisted, its almost natural instinct, so try to stay cool, calm and collected at all times.

Whats more important....that your ideas (or others) are implemented to help improve the company ....or that you get credit for changes you suggested?

There are subtle ways to manipulate people to get them to do what you want. If done appropriately, you can even have them thinking it was their idea to begin with which usually returns more favorable cooperation.

Corporate polictics can be an ugly game but a game in which you must master to ensure longevity and progression in the game.

I wouldn't try to create too many waves just starting no matter how bad things may be...unless you were hired specifically to do so.

I would suggest trying your best to work within your "chain of command". Rather than harping on how bad things are and how they could be better. Try smaller steps and present the changes as "new, innovative ideas".

Just a few suggestions. I could go on...but it could take all day. If you want chat about it in more detail...just hit me up brutha.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rekoniz  
Unread
  (#9)
Retired to most ...

November 9, 2006, 01:55 PM

It would seem I worded this wrong.

I don't mean I want to change everyone and everything right this moment. This was more of a "as time progresses" kind of thing.

Unread
  (#10)
Retired to most ...

November 9, 2006, 01:55 PM

It would seem I worded this wrong.

I don't mean I want to change everyone and everything right this moment. This was more of a "as time progresses" kind of thing.

Unread
  (#11)
( * )|( * )

November 9, 2006, 01:56 PM

If you're new...wait until you have been around and interacted more with your co-workers. Once they get to know you and you've "proven yourself" to them perhaps you can make suggestions.

Typically, a new person coming in wanting to change things or point out that they are not working efficiently is often constrewed as arrogance.

Like everyone said...just chill and get to know everyone then slowly work in suggestions.

Otherwise, you'll alienate yourself and potentially limit your growth witin that organization.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#12)
Retired to most ...

November 9, 2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deviousR6
If you're new...wait until you have been around and interacted more with your co-workers. Once they get to know you and you've "proven yourself" to them perhaps you can make suggestions.

Typically, a new person coming in wanting to change things or point out that they are not working efficiently is often constrewed as arrogance.

Like everyone said...just chill and get to know everyone then slowly work in suggestions.

Otherwise, you'll alienate yourself and potentially limit your growth witin that organization.
Again I agree with the take it slow policy.

I guess I started this thread because they have requested that I rewriting office policies and procedures for my department. The problem with that is in order for my department to use what I wrote other departments would need to change.

I just have not figured out how far to take it and who to take it all to.

Unread
  (#13)
I'm so tired

November 9, 2006, 02:38 PM

Yeah...exactly what everyone is telling you. Take it slow and don't do anything to make waves at first.

Get the lay of the land....wait until you are assimilated into the work environment....and slowly bring ideas up. If it wont kill you and all you want is a better work flow, why not let your boss take the credit. It doesn't matter as long as the work flow is improved right? Or are you one of those people that wants it all. (Only in the case of the manager getting the credit and the bonus...then that is wrong.)

If all else fails...just wear more flair. That seems to work every time.

Myke
- 2015 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle
- 2009 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
- 2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
- 1999 Triumph Sprint ST (Sold)
- 2001 Suzuki DR650 (Sold)

R.I.P. my friends;
Karl Michael "Dragula" Meckenberg
Greg "BamBam" Walker
Jeff Vega
Totnac
Unread
  (#14)
( * )|( * )

November 9, 2006, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnySpeed954
Again I agree with the take it slow policy.

I guess I started this thread because they have requested that I rewriting office policies and procedures for my department. The problem with that is in order for my department to use what I wrote other departments would need to change.

I just have not figured out how far to take it and who to take it all to.
If that's the case, get all the other managers involved in the process...instead of dictating changes to their department. Show them the direction you would like to take and move forward with their input and approval.

Chris
2008 MARRC AM Racer of the Year
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

November 9, 2006, 02:54 PM

Did you get enough good answers yet?

Can I post whore this thread now?
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to JAGULE