DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 523
0 members and 523 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Ok gamers...
Unread
  (#1)
One and Only

Ok gamers... - October 15, 2008, 03:50 PM

So I really don't know much about all this stuff.

My sister in law is getting us a unit for xmas. My wife really wanted a WII, but I explained to her that it was basically focused towards kids, and that her attention span would go pretty quick.

So yesterday we were looking around, and the 360 seems like the best option for us. It's only a little bit more expensive, and can do everything I need it to do....

Or can it?

Is it really worth it to spend all the extra loot on the PS3? That's alot of money for someone who really isn't a big time gamer. Her sister ain't gonna drop the 500 bones or whatever it is on the PS3, so she'd just give us the cash and I'd make up the difference.

I'd like to be able to play this online stuff with you guys, but will it really be worth it?

Thanks for your input!

Right up the 1 hole.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Cloaca  
Unread
  (#2)
Got Guinness?

Premier Member since: May 22, 2009
October 15, 2008, 04:00 PM

WII = uber crazy fun. Get WII Sports, WII FIT etc., and you shall be entertained. Trust. I have one and I love me some MarioKart or Wii Bowling/Tennis

PS3 vs 360

I have both, and to be honest I spend more time on my PS3. Honestly it mainly because I am a Sony Fanboi. I got into a heated argument/discussion with some customers about this actually. Was entertaining..

PS3 = Blu-Ray right out the gate ... but.. does this matter? Did for me when the whole HD vs Blu-ray war was raging.

360 = alot more games to be perfectly honest...

Graphics wise? I have an older 360 so I have no HDMI output, believe the newer models do?

PS3 = HDMI etc.,

It's really more about what type of games you want/play.. I have been a Playstation fanboi for geesh.. almost forever, so I am just biased toward PS3 period.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Like a clown car on fire

October 15, 2008, 04:25 PM

I have the Wii and just got the Ps3 a few weeks ago.

The Wii is all about novelty, I don't really play it anymore, even the wife who likes it much more doesn;t use it much (but that may be b/c im hoggint he tv for the ps3) The wii mainy gets use now when we have people over and want to play party style games like mariokart, wii sports, etc. and in that resepct it is loads of fun.

The Ps3 has the bluray player which is great and has some pretty powerful media features so you can stream in music and video, browese the web, etc. all on a nice big HDTV (if so equipped) The games coming out for it are starting to get good, where up to now it has been lackluster.

The xbox 360 has most of the media features minus the bluray player. The games available for the 360 are also more numerous and there are more good exclusive titles with the 360 than ps3. The xbox 360 is also cheaper.

The problem is that the 360 is at about the peak of it's potential where the ps3 still has lots of room to grow, and it really seems like it's picking up its stride lately. Remember that the 360 beat the ps3 to the market by a good amount, so it's had a bit more time ripen, and the online features are better, but subscrition based, whereas the ps3 is scrambling to catch up (onlinewise), but it's free. The ps3 is supposed to have an expected 10 year life (like the ps2), whereas MS is supposedly already working on the next xbox.

So basically the question is do you want to get a more superficial toy that's better for groups and parties, do you want to get the cheaper, well developed system that's closer to the end of its lifecycle, or do you want to spring for the more expensive, more undeveloped system, that has more potential and lifecycle left?

-Chloroform-
For when she doesn't know she wants it.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Thwack  
Unread
  (#4)
Typical Stripper

October 15, 2008, 04:34 PM

Had all three...

Wii is fun - no doubt, we might get another... but we played it in waves (ie alot, then not at all, alot, not at all etc...)

360 - Red Ring Of Death. F that.

PS3 - Blu-Ray is nice, the online interface is not as great as XBOX (but you pay for XBOX) has the game series' that I am used to playing on Sony equipment.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
One and Only

October 15, 2008, 04:35 PM

I DON'T KNOW!!!!

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#6)
Got Guinness?

Premier Member since: May 22, 2009
October 15, 2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
Had all three...

Wii is fun - no doubt, we might get another... but we played it in waves (ie alot, then not at all, alot, not at all etc...)

360 - Red Ring Of Death. F that.

PS3 - Blu-Ray is nice, the online interface is not as great as XBOX (but you pay for XBOX) has the game series' that I am used to playing on Sony equipment.
you know in all the years I have had my 360 - I haven't had the Red-Ring O' death..

One Issue I did/do have with my 360 is cooling. I ended up getting the attachable Intercooler, as various games were locking up constantly -
Unread
  (#7)
GP Racer

October 15, 2008, 05:18 PM

I have the Wii.

The general comment about the Wii (and I agree) is that it's not a console for serious gamers (e.g., folks who like to go online and do third-person shooter games and such). It's just not that kind of console.

But I'm not a serious gamer. I have two kids under the age of 2, so I'm not a serious anything these days.

I do find playing games like Madden football immensely enjoyable on the Wii. You pull back on the controller to hike the ball, you throw the controller forward to pass, lift the controller in the air to catch, etc. It's very intuitive and fun.

Basically, it's the perfect system for sports (e.g., Tiger Woods golf, tennis, etc.), in my opinion. Driving games are fun as well

But If you aren't into sports games and are more into games that require more complex controller actions, then the Wii probably isn't for you.

Hope that helps.
Unread
  (#8)
One and Only

October 15, 2008, 05:32 PM

Thanks guys!

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#9)
making it do what it do!!

October 15, 2008, 05:45 PM

Wii- is awesome, great party tool. Keeps you entertained if you are young at heart.
360- red ring of death (is the blue screen of death for gaming) blows had one had to get my 360 replaced and now the charger doesn't work, games are ok. Plus you have to pay to play online plus you have to buy the adapter that gets it online etc...
PS3- if you are going to play it on an HD tv worth it as long as you get all HDMI stuff with it, if you don't have a blue ray player there you go you will have one. Games are awesome on big screens with HD, you don't pay to play online and is internet ready off the box. Accessories you can use bluetooth headset and more wireless stuff with it.

I have all gaming consoles except my PS2 which is dead and if you are going for up to date online gaming go with the PS3 after all the Xbox accessories totally more value on PS3 plus blue ray

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Eat, Lift, Sleep.... (REPEAT)!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MANIMAL  
Unread
  (#10)
One and Only

October 15, 2008, 05:53 PM

I don't have HD....

Can the PS3 serve me as another computer? At least for browsing purposes?

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#11)
Typical Stripper

October 15, 2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
I don't have HD....

Can the PS3 serve me as another computer? At least for browsing purposes?
Posted from my PS3

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#12)
One and Only

October 15, 2008, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist View Post
Posted from my PS3

sickness

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

October 15, 2008, 06:09 PM

PS3 is a better, more scalable investment.

You'll appreciate it when you get an HD compatible tv... which WILL be in the next few years as even Television is going HD.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#14)
One and Only

October 15, 2008, 06:12 PM

Yeah, we plan on getting one when i finish the basement.

I know for some, it's not that big of a deal. But I'm just trying to justify spending more money than necessary right now. Layed off, Anniversary, Holidays, etc.

Thanks again for all your help guys

Right up the 1 hole.
Unread
  (#15)
making it do what it do!!

October 16, 2008, 10:52 AM

PS 3. It includes your blue ray player and like I said is ready to be online out of the box unlike the 360

-FER-
2008 Raven R1
Eat, Lift, Sleep.... (REPEAT)!!!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MANIMAL