DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 488
2 members and 486 guests
davidcycle, GRN96WS6
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
One Congressman kills bill that would end Federal Prohibition on Marijuana
Unread
  (#1)
Licensed Rider

One Congressman kills bill that would end Federal Prohibition on Marijuana - June 28, 2011, 12:03 PM

Link: Let the states decide their own marijuana policies - The Hill's Congress Blog

Quote:
Speaking during an online town hall in January, President Obama acknowledged that the subject of legalizing and regulating marijuana was a “legitimate topic for debate.” Yet last week Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), chairman of the House Committee on Judiciary, boasted that he would not even consider scheduling the measure for a public hearing. On Friday, when NORML requested its members to contact Rep. Smith’s office, the Congressman promptly shut off his DC office phone and later closed down his Facebook page.

This is the reasons he gave for refusing to even floor the bill for debate

"Marijuana use and distribution is prohibited under federal law because it has a high potential for abuse and does not have an accepted medical use in the U.S.," said Smith, who like Paul is a Texas Republican. "The Food and Drug Administration has not approved smoked marijuana for any condition or disease."

Its amazing to me that Republicans can be so pro states rights except when it comes to guns and abortion. The reasons he gave don't even make any sense becuase 1)Its only prohibited under federal law in the first place for racist and industrial reasons (See Marihuana Tax Act of 1938 ) 2) The FDA cannot approve something that is illegal under federal law (No shit..) 3) The American Medical Association has called for Fed to reschedule Marijuana out of a Schedule I controlled substance.(AMA Calls for Feds to Review Marijuana Restrictions - Political Hotsheet - CBS News) Yet the reason he gives for not even debating the bill is EXACTLY the definition of a schedule I controlled substance "no accepted medical value and high potential for abuse". So the 15 states that approved medical marijuana and the AMA are completely wrong and Marijuana belongs exactly where it is and nothing should change...Way to go Lamar Smith (R-TX), You are a truely a logical and honest human being :sarcasm:

Here is his office's contact info in case you want to leave a message with his staff about your support for HR2306. You might also want to show support to your own representive.

Lamar Smith (R - TX)
DC Office: 202-225-4236 (8:30 am- 6:00 pm EST)
TX Office: 210-821-5024 (8:00 am- 5:00 pm CT)

Last edited by ITSOVER9000; June 28, 2011 at 12:06 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
The last urrbendah

June 28, 2011, 12:07 PM

Yeah! Let's call and fuckin' rage! Wait. What were we calling about again?

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#3)
Derpetologist

lol. His state probably deals with a lot of that shut coming over the border illegally though.

*Not intended to be a factual statement.
Unread
  (#4)
USSA

remember when the bill in cali came to a vote.....and lost? it's gonna be the same thing if it hits the federal floor.

I Have Nothing To Contribute.

Chicks are like jobs...all the good ones are taken and they can't pay you enough to do the ones that are available.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArrrSV  
Unread
  (#5)
Licensed Rider

June 28, 2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
Yeah! Let's call and fuckin' rage! Wait. What were we calling about again?
The fact that we spend money to lock up almost a million people for possession of marijuana each year, and we spend billions of dollars every year for police to essentially be gardners and pull up weeds(literally) and throw people in cages for it. The fact that almost 20 million people admit to using marijuana in the last month or so yet thier own government has classified them as criminals. I can go on...

Even if you don't support marjuana you should at least be pissed that one man can kill an entire bill in congress by refusing to talk about it...Thats it, he is just refusing to let people talk about it by not bringing it up for debate..absofuckinglutely ridiculous.
Unread
  (#6)
The last urrbendah

June 28, 2011, 12:22 PM

I don't let anything the government does get me worked up too much. If it ain't about money then it really don't concern me.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#7)
USSA

June 28, 2011, 12:22 PM

run for senate then? thats what i'm going to do when i get out of skewl.

Chicks are like jobs...all the good ones are taken and they can't pay you enough to do the ones that are available.
Unread
  (#8)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

June 28, 2011, 12:25 PM

I'm not worried. I'm all for legalization, and this shows that at this point only one guy stopped the debate.

5 years ago nobody would have ever thought it would be this close. Just be patient, he doesn't care what you have to say if you're not from Texas, you can't vote him out. Call your own Congressmen to get them to talk to him.

Whenever a post needs posting, I appear, then I'm gone.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hokierider  
Unread
  (#9)
USSA

June 28, 2011, 12:27 PM

what if i'm still registered to vote in texas?

Unread
  (#10)
Licensed Rider

June 28, 2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrrSV View Post
remember when the bill in cali came to a vote.....and lost? it's gonna be the same thing if it hits the federal floor.
But at least they VOTED on it. Which is how democracy should work. Not allowing one person to stop the entire democratic process becuase they are retarded.

If the federal government decided to declare a war on sportbikes becuase they cause to many deaths each year, wouldn't you be up in arms about how retarded it is? I feel the same way about the war on drugs. And it totally affects your money, especially if you are ever a victim of the current draconian drug policies. I also don't think I should have to get elected to congress to make common sense changes. I lose my shit when I read things like how easily something like HR2306 gets derailed in congress so we have to accept another year of laws making a plant illegal.

Last edited by ITSOVER9000; June 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM..
Unread
  (#11)
ಠ_ಠ The Cleaner ಠ_ಠ

June 28, 2011, 12:36 PM

We have a slow government. Look how long it took to get rid of Prohibition after they set that up. Almost the same thing with Affirmative Action, that was only supposed to last a few years. Once the federal government sets up a regulation on some product or aspect of life, they have a hard time giving up that regulation because it means they lose departments and jobs and a bit of power.

The thing is weed never was legal so it's going to take a lot more than phone calls to one guy in Congress to fix this, the rest of the world ain't helping. Look at Amsterdam wanting to stop tourists from buying weed over there.

Whenever a post needs posting, I appear, then I'm gone.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to hokierider  
Unread
  (#12)
Licensed Rider

June 28, 2011, 01:02 PM

Yes, making changes in government is slow. But 70 years slow? Thats incompetence. It was legal until the 20s, thats when states began making it illegal becuase of an immigration issues from mexico and to demonize black culture. Hell, doctors even perscribed cociane as a stimulant and anethestic during prohibition so its only in the last century that all these "drugs" were made illegal. Alcohol prohibition only lasted 13 years. There is no excuse for not making changes in drug policy long before now and people like Lamar Smith should catch hell for being part of the problem and not the solution. Amsterdam is only trying to ban selling to tourists and close a lot of the cannabis cafes becuase an ultra conservative government rose to power. Conservatives..no matter what country, seem to want to push morales on everyone and make decesions for them with laws.
Unread
  (#13)
MSF Student

June 28, 2011, 03:37 PM

If people keep pushing for it eventually it will happen. To each own but look at same sex marriages are now being past. If they can pass that, they can pass legalization off weed. I think the world would be a better place if they do legalize it. Gotta love the Gov.

Last edited by Bmore_gsx-r; June 28, 2011 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: mis-spelled
Unread
  (#14)
I hate Hybrid drivers

June 28, 2011, 03:45 PM

weed is whack
Unread
  (#15)
Derpentine Dealer

June 28, 2011, 04:30 PM

Why do you want marijuana to be legal?

How's my posting? Please direct all concerns and inquiries to DCSBN's chief content manager, Hollywood, via PM.