DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 596
3 members and 593 guests
2blueyam, boomboom929, Diggy
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Path of Exile, 2 Million registered users. Fantastic dungeon crawler!
Unread
  (#1)
Member of SRWJTS

Path of Exile, 2 Million registered users. Fantastic dungeon crawler! - April 30, 2013, 05:10 PM

The game Path of Exile popped up around the time that Diablo 3 was about to be released. At the time they allowed you to either wait for a Beta key or pay to play it (Right now it's free and always will be.) It's by a small company called Grinding Gear Games from New Zealand. After watching dozens of videos explaining the game I decided that the game was worth paying for. So I got early Beta access to Path of Exile and was immensely impressed. It has the atmosphere that Diablo 3 lacked. It's dark, gloomy and has a passive skill tree you have to see to believe.

Below is just a portion of the skill tree, they show the majority of the massive skill tree the open beta video at the bottom of this thread.

The musical score is fantastic and really immerses you in the world. And it really adds to the uniqueness of the environment as well as complimenting their characters.

Characters modify their skill-set by adding gems to weapons instead of learning them. You do still have to be able to use the ability but its a totally different skill system than i've ever used.

How does the game make money being completely free? They allow users to purchase content but not in the way other tend to. The content isn't a power boost and it's not a pay to win game. You are given the option to purchase cosmetic upgrades such as making your fireball more "purdy." Or upgrade the look of your character to suit you needs. Also you can get small pets that follow along with you in combat. For example my character has a Kiwi bird that as exclusive to closed beta testers. But other pets are available to the current players.

I know the above may sound like a little bit of fanboism but I spent over $100 to get the collectors edition Diablo 3. Path of Exile will not only potentially cost you nothing but will not let you down. It's got the gloom of Diablo 2 with a totally different skill system and a uniqueness that will not fail to impress.

Penny arcade just summarized some of the reasons why Path of Exile has been so successful. And touched on the topic of GGG allowing player to have their own custom in game weapon available for everyone in the community. Their customization options have been warmly received by the community even if you need to pay to make them.

"Itís really that simple. You listen to the audience. Charge them for things they want, but that donít change the game. Remove fees that people complain about. Release new content every week, including new items and skills. This has a positive effect on your players."

The PA Report - $1,000 custom weapons led to happy players: The uncommonly free Path of Exile is an indie success

Below is a video of the gameplay and fun you can have in the game when they switched to open beta

Path of Exile Open Beta Trailer - YouTube!

I hope you guys guys give the game a whirl, it's really a super fun dungeon crawler!

2001 Kawasaki ZX6R: Yoshi slip-on
1999 Trans AM WS6, Long tubes, full exhaust, extra sexy
2006 GTO 6spd, 1 of 390 Silver, SLP LM1 (Sold)
2001 R1; blue, Yoshi slip on (sold Jan 12, 2012)
(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
1999 Trans Am Ws6 30k miles, 6spd (sold)
1999 Camaro coupe 6 cyl (traded in after a week to get the SS)
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Site Owner

April 30, 2013, 05:25 PM

Looks *exactly* like Diablo 3. Why didn't they bother to come with any original UI design at all?

Diablo 3 was ho hum - was fun up front but once you got to the top level I realized the only way to win the game on the toughest level was to pay hundreds of RL dollars for gear in the AH... No thanks.

(O|||||||O) and (0OO\(||||)(||||)/OO0)

Help support DCSportbikes.net! Become a Premier Member today!

Katie #135.

Nudist: If Ben isnt still riding me, then I need it
B: that sounds odd
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ClemsonJeeper  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

April 30, 2013, 05:26 PM

I will thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

99 CBR 600 F4 "Black Betty"
05 CBR 600 RR (Stolen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
yes .net is serious business, we only talk about bikes and bike related things EVAH!
* Disclaimer - Bad Speller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
Member of SRWJTS

April 30, 2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Looks *exactly* like Diablo 3. Why didn't they bother to come with any original UI design at all?

Diablo 3 was ho hum - was fun up front but once you got to the top level I realized the only way to win the game on the toughest level was to pay hundreds of RL dollars for gear in the AH... No thanks.
The UI is kinda similar but it works the best for dungeon crawlers imho.

Diablo 3 was definitely ho hum, it was so frustrating that everyone had to buy items to succeed in the game. I used the gold AH and didn't enjoy a bit of the auction house. Path of Exile doesn't have a pay to win system, the only items are cosmetic and completely optional.

You can pay large sums of money directly to the manufacturer to have real items made in the game for everyoen. So you are essentially paying for them to work, not paying to win.

2001 Kawasaki ZX6R: Yoshi slip-on
1999 Trans AM WS6, Long tubes, full exhaust, extra sexy
2006 GTO 6spd, 1 of 390 Silver, SLP LM1 (Sold)
2001 R1; blue, Yoshi slip on (sold Jan 12, 2012)
(RIP) 2000 Camaro SS
1999 Trans Am Ws6 30k miles, 6spd (sold)
1999 Camaro coupe 6 cyl (traded in after a week to get the SS)
  Send a message via AIM to