DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 634
4 members and 630 guests
2blueyam, Sal_the_man, t84a, TTViper
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Patio/Pavers?
Unread
  (#1)
100% Kawasaki Biased

Patio/Pavers? - May 15, 2013, 11:37 AM

Has anyone here made their own patio with pavers before? I put in my own fence and I hate the soil around here (full of clay/shale/rocks). Does anyone have experience with a dingo (DINGO TRACK SKIDSTEER LOADER Rental, Rent DINGO TRACK SKIDSTEER LOADER | Sunbelt Rentals) or similar machine to help?

You can live in your car, but you can't race your house.

'07 ZX-10R - 156 RWHP/182 MPH
'09 KX450F - VCHSS 29F
'85 ZL-900 Eliminator
'01 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'06 636 (Sold)
'99 ZX-6R (Sold)
'94 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'99 YZ-250 (Sold)
'73 CL 450 (Sold)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Jpc...eature=related
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/H...bud_408656.htmfeature=related

The difference between men and boys is that boys make excuses and men make changes.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Fiberglass repair & paint

May 15, 2013, 01:20 PM

I'm doing a walkway in my front yard. Just got 21 bags of 80lb concrete mix today...yea that's just 1/3 of it LOL.

I have the same issue as you...clay...rocks....it's insane. Once I priced everything, including the cost of a rental - I decided to do the job in multiple parts and bought a $8 pick axe. Broke through the soil and rock and clay layers with the pick axe....used a transfer shovel to move it all.

I'm laying a 12x4x.33 slab of concrete though with pavers laid in. In the end, it's about 40 feet long....hence the reason I'm doing it in sections. Didn't take long with the pick axe.

Check out pics at http://www.facebook.com/4podiumglass

Interested in buying damaged or unwanted bodywork.

Repairing fiberglass motorcycle track and race fairings. Painting available. Paypal accepted. Credit Cards accepted *small fee applies* Shipping via UPS Ground.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Suddenly Superstitious!!!

May 15, 2013, 02:42 PM

I put in the back line of my 6 foot privacy fence. Something like 100+ feet of it. Never Effing Again. Ever. Period.

It's not worth it to me. I'd rather sit in AC and work to cover it. Good luck.

I want my baby back, baby back, baby back....Chileeeeee's bay back...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to MudDawg  
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

May 15, 2013, 05:59 PM

Ive done a bunch of them. Its hard work and if your going to do it don't cut any corners or you will waste a lot of hard labor. I have always laid them out with stakes and string line also make sure you give it some slope for water run off. Digging it out is the hardest part I would recommend going at least 4inches with the base. I have always used the aggregate base that requires tamping so renting a tamper is definitely worth the money over hand tamping. Once the base is in its cake just lay the pavers down spread polymeric sand mist it with the hose let it dry then repeat.

.................................................. ..................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemsonJeeper View Post
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
.................................................. .......................
Unread
  (#5)
GP Champ

May 15, 2013, 06:06 PM

Oh forgot to add if the patio is big enough I would say anything over 30x30 the skid steer and a tamper will save you a lot of back breaking work.

Quote:
Since MJ was 99% plastic, they're going to melt him down to make some lego blocks so kids can play with him for a
change.
Unread
  (#6)
100% Kawasaki Biased

May 16, 2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiixerFiend7 View Post
Oh forgot to add if the patio is big enough I would say anything over 30x30 the skid steer and a tamper will save you a lot of back breaking work.
Yeah, that's the plan. When I put my fence in I broke a bunch of bits and a hammer drill on the rocks. Then I rented an electric jack hammer and it still took two and a half people all day (in my tiny yard). Just trying to figure out if motorized tools make sense or if I just have to do it the hard way.

'09 KX450F - VCHSS 29F
'85 ZL-900 Eliminator
'01 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'06 636 (Sold)
'99 ZX-6R (Sold)
'94 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'99 YZ-250 (Sold)
'73 CL 450 (Sold)

The difference between men and boys is that boys make excuses and men make changes.
Unread
  (#7)

May 16, 2013, 08:15 AM

Hey Giixerfiend7 - how would you lay pavers in wet concrete? I want to do that for cosmetics. Would you pour the concrete, level it, and then tap the pavers in until level with the top...then fill any gaps with polymer sand? Since the concrete would have to be wet cured, this would also harden the sand.

I Just don't know if it's best to lay the pavers in before the pour is leveled or after.

My walk way will be 4 inches deep and I have 2" pavers...and some are 1.5"

I have to cut and tie rebar to lay in as well.

Repairing fiberglass motorcycle track and race fairings. Painting available. Paypal accepted. Credit Cards accepted *small fee applies* Shipping via UPS Ground.

Last edited by 4 Podium Glass; May 16, 2013 at 08:17 AM..
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

May 16, 2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Podium Glass View Post
Hey Giixerfiend7 - how would you lay pavers in wet concrete? I want to do that for cosmetics. Would you pour the concrete, level it, and then tap the pavers in until level with the top...then fill any gaps with polymer sand? Since the concrete would have to be wet cured, this would also harden the sand.

I Just don't know if it's best to lay the pavers in before the pour is leveled or after.
It will be a pain in the ass depending on the surface area of each individual paver but I would knock it down first then work your pavers in followed by any finishing on the exposed concrete.

Quote:
change.
Unread
  (#9)
Sewing Machine Rider

May 16, 2013, 08:21 AM

Yeah, those Dingo things work better than you'd imagine, especially for something small like a sidewalk.

If I were you, I'd just pour and stamp some concrete. It ends up looking better and it takes a hell of a lot less time. You can rent stamps from most rental places and they will sell you the powered coloring and sealant as well. The concrete company will give you some guidance on what type of mix you need. You can find calculators for yardage online or figure it out with some math. I'd probably hire some help that's done concrete before if you haven't done it, but stamping leaves more room for error than finishing it.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

May 16, 2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_sur View Post
Yeah, those Dingo things work better than you'd imagine, especially for something small like a sidewalk.

If I were you, I'd just pour and stamp some concrete. It ends up looking better and it takes a hell of a lot less time. You can rent stamps from most rental places and they will sell you the powered coloring and sealant as well. The concrete company will give you some guidance on what type of mix you need. You can find calculators for yardage online or figure it out with some math. I'd probably hire some help that's done concrete before if you haven't done it, but stamping leaves more room for error than finishing it.
I agree 100% but as you stated the finishing process is a lot more involved. The formula you are looking for when factoring concrete is Legth x Width x Height 27

Quote:
change.
Unread
  (#11)

May 16, 2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
It will be a pain in the ass depending on the surface area of each individual paver but I would knock it down first then work your pavers in followed by any finishing on the exposed concrete.
well I'm doing a 36 sqft section for starters (have another 72 sqft to go after that) so I'm doing it in slab sections. I won't be filling the slab with pavers...just popping in 2 or 3 or however many to make a pattern.

thanks! I guess I'll tamp them down 2 inches or until level with the top of the concrete once it's leveled.

Unread
  (#12)
GP Champ

May 16, 2013, 08:44 AM

Just make sure you have a way to tie one slab into the next whether it be letting your concrete mesh run past the form or rebar which ever you may use. The last thing you want is three independent slabs floating around in the yard because they will all settle differently and look like crap.

Quote:
change.

Last edited by GiixerFiend7; May 16, 2013 at 08:46 AM..
Unread
  (#13)
100% Kawasaki Biased

May 16, 2013, 08:50 AM

I like the idea of stamped concrete, but that is not something I have a high confidence level with. I would need professional help (= $)

'09 KX450F - VCHSS 29F
'85 ZL-900 Eliminator
'01 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'06 636 (Sold)
'99 ZX-6R (Sold)
'94 Ninja 250 (Sold)
'99 YZ-250 (Sold)
'73 CL 450 (Sold)

Unread
  (#14)

May 16, 2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Just make sure you have a way to tie one slab into the next whether it be letting your concrete mesh run past the form or rebar which ever you may use. The last thing you want is three independent slabs floating around in the yard because they will all settle differently and look like crap.
ah...good to know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I like the idea of stamped concrete, but that is not something I have a high confidence level with. I would need professional help (= $)
I youtubed it and google searched it. And just found out about a very important step on a motorcycle forum. You should be fine with doing that. Once the area is dug and the framing done....the rest is easy. However you can mess up by forgetting the small things, like expansion joints and the correct curing process.

I bought 21 bags at 80lb/bag Sakrete for about 12 square feet (4" slab) and 4 bags of sand for the foundation (1 bag of sand does 7 sqft) (go to their website. They have a calculator tool that will tell you how many bags to buy if you are doing a 4" slab or 8" slab using 90 - 80 - 60 - 50lb bags; you just have to key in the measurements of your area LxWxD it'll covert your measurements to sqft feet)

I got 16 feet of rebar and the metal ties. Was $115 OTD - very cheap.

Last edited by 4 Podium Glass; May 16, 2013 at 09:28 AM..
Unread
  (#15)
GP Champ

May 16, 2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 Podium Glass View Post

My walk way will be 4 inches deep and I have 2" pavers...and some are 1.5"

I have to cut and tie rebar to lay in as well.
I would say do not do this. If you have a damaged paver, removing it from cured concrete is gonna be a bitch as opposed to removing a single paver from a polymetric sand joint thats on top of sand.

2ndly, you better get it right quickly. those pavers weigh about 40 lbs for a 2" thick one thats 16x16. Trying to level a paver on the x and y axis while dealing with drying cement. Youre awesome if you can. but you'll still deal with problem #1.

3rd. why use poly sand if youre putting it on a concrete "pad". The poly sand is to prevent weed growth between pavers as well as locking them in together. If they were laid on wet cement, id say you covered all those.

Quote:
^^^ This

Just installed one myself. Mostly

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=03719ae33a

saved myself about 13k+ from a quote from PW home improvement. It took longer because I lost my job halfway into the project and because I didnt want to finance it.

Total cost including tools and materials about 4k. Im going to guess its about 25' x 47'

BTW Stillie, I still have your wheel barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonstallin View Post
Stinky:
Im so excited im about to pre-blast in my pants.....then....it hits me...
I smell her arm pits and i damn near threw up!!!!

Last edited by hfam95; May 16, 2013 at 10:38 AM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hfam95 Send a message via AIM to hfam95