DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 554
4 members and 550 guests
2blueyam, nootherids, Scot, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
PDA/Phone Dead - help?
Unread
  (#1)
Curiouser and curiouser

PDA/Phone Dead - help? - June 24, 2007, 08:54 AM

My PDA/Phone managed to get soaked in beer last night at a concert and it's now dead. Does anyone know if there's any way I can salvage the contacts from it? I don't suppose there's a way to bring it back to life. I let it dry out and then plugged it in. I got a red light at first, which was hopeful looking, but now...nothing.

Cheers

2004 Ducati ST3
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

June 24, 2007, 09:13 AM

Is it from Cingular or T-mobile? If so your sim card has your contacts. However if its Sprint or Verizon sorry no luck if you let it dry there might be some hope. What kind of PDA?? Blackberry or Windows mobile?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6  
Unread
  (#3)
Curiouser and curiouser

June 24, 2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArRrR6
Is it from Cingular or T-mobile? If so your sim card has your contacts. However if its Sprint or Verizon sorry no luck if you let it dry there might be some hope. What kind of PDA?? Blackberry or Windows mobile?
Verizon VZ6700 - Windows Mobile 5.

Just last week I considered moving everything over to T-Mobile, but was disappointed with their coverage and dataspeed. Guess this is what I get for hesitating.

Cheers

2004 Ducati ST3
Unread
  (#4)
Playing in traffic

June 24, 2007, 05:21 PM

AS A LAST RESORT: I have used the following technique to rescue cell phones from salt water exposure; it may or may not work for beer. First rinse the PDA out thoroughly with distilled or de-ionized water, filtered tap water probably wonít do. Donít immerse the device in the water Ė just pour a lot of it through. The water rinse carries the beer residue out without damaging components that may be sensitive to long exposure to water. Drain as much water out of the PDA as you can, but donít let it dry out, and immediately rinse it out with ethyl alcohol. The best alcohol for the job is 100% pure, anhydrous ethanol, but you probably canít find this stuff unless you work at a lab. Denatured alcohol will work if it is denatured with methanol, and you can find this in some paint departments; alcohol denatured with other substances may not work. 70% rubbing alcohol will not work. The alcohol carries the residual water out of the PDA with it, and what alcohol is left inside evaporates. After the alcohol has dried out of the PDA, give it a try.
Unread
  (#5)
Curiouser and curiouser

June 24, 2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer
AS A LAST RESORT: I have used the following technique to rescue cell phones from salt water exposure; it may or may not work for beer. First rinse the PDA out thoroughly with distilled or de-ionized water, filtered tap water probably wonít do. Donít immerse the device in the water Ė just pour a lot of it through. The water rinse carries the beer residue out without damaging components that may be sensitive to long exposure to water. Drain as much water out of the PDA as you can, but donít let it dry out, and immediately rinse it out with ethyl alcohol. The best alcohol for the job is 100% pure, anhydrous ethanol, but you probably canít find this stuff unless you work at a lab. Denatured alcohol will work if it is denatured with methanol, and you can find this in some paint departments; alcohol denatured with other substances may not work. 70% rubbing alcohol will not work. The alcohol carries the residual water out of the PDA with it, and what alcohol is left inside evaporates. After the alcohol has dried out of the PDA, give it a try.
Thanks -- a friend of mine had me try the rinsing thing then storing the pda with silica gel packets to absorb the moisture. Haven't checked it yet, but if it doesn't work perhaps what you're proposing will. I have some denatured alcohol lying around.

Cheers

2004 Ducati ST3
Unread
  (#6)
Squid Rider 4 Life!!

June 24, 2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbyjayva
Verizon VZ6700 - Windows Mobile 5.

Just last week I considered moving everything over to T-Mobile, but was disappointed with their coverage and dataspeed. Guess this is what I get for hesitating.
T-Mobile is pretty bad, my company blackbery sucks as far as getting reception but it will do. Good luck I know Verizon has a type of "rescue" service however, it is very costly.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to ArRrR6