DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 576
1 members and 575 guests
2blueyam
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Pellet Stoves
Unread
  (#1)
Tough guy

Pellet Stoves - July 29, 2008, 12:16 PM

I currently have an fireplace insert that runs propane. I may as well just light dollar bills instead of propane. I would like to replace the current fireplace with an insert pellet stove.

I need:

Insert Pellet Stove with a good warranty.
Remove the old and install the new.

If you have done this mod, have a reference, or know of a good deal - any help would be appreciated.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#2)
Emm Teh

July 30, 2008, 07:19 AM

I bought a Jotul wood stove insert for my fireplace last year and love it. If I had it to do over again I think I would have gone pellet but you can't beat the heat or the price.

I did quite a bit of research before settling on Jotul - they've got some of the best products on the market IMO. (I was working with nonstandard dimensions and was looking for serious BTU output)

http://www.jotul.us/

I did the initial install myself - but had it redone by a chimney company. I purchased a liner from the jotul dealer and just ran it down my chimney (which was fine per code because the chimney was already lined). I ran into issues with the liner cooling too fast and creating creosote deposits in the slight bends. I had my chimney guy come out to clean it and he noticed fire damage in the main chimney liner and also in my furnace liner. Insurance paid out 10K to have the chimney completely gutted and rebuilt.

The new stainless liner connected to the stove is wrapped in a blanket with chicken wire pulled tight all the way down it to keep it from moving. This made a big difference in heat output as stove draws more now due to the increased velocity of the exhaust gases. I also sealed & insulated the top and bottom of the chimney - again this made a huge difference because the heat builds up in there, heats up the chimney walls and heats a couple extra rooms.

We didn't use our furnace once last year.

Just to give everyone an idea...

2 winters ago we used our propane furnace exclusively. Total cost to heat the house? $2,300
Last winter we purchased a wood stove: ~$2400 and about $300 in wood.

This winter's bill will be ~$300. I love it when things pay for themselves!

-- Ducati 1198SP
-- 185cc MadAss Commute 'Scoot
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to Michael.Terence Send a message via AIM to Michael.Terence  
Unread
  (#3)
TPG

July 30, 2008, 07:25 AM

True, wood stoves are way more efficent than Pellet stoves... They burn hot and don't use too much wood if you know what your doing, they also are semi easy to control the temp... Pellet stoves are the same, but pellets are not cheap AT ALL... Last time I checked it was like $5/bag or something, they can also be hard to find, During certin months.

You get more ass with a wood fire place too
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx  
Unread
  (#4)
Typical Stripper

July 30, 2008, 07:42 AM

+1 on wood burning - pellet stoves make too much mess to be in a house.... think incinerator ash.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#5)
Tough guy

July 30, 2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Terence
I bought a Jotul wood stove insert for my fireplace last year and love it. If I had it to do over again I think I would have gone pellet but you can't beat the heat or the price.
Sounds like the wood is working out awesome! Most of my neighbors are burning wood - they are saving tons of $$$$ but, I dont have a chimney - i believe that might run up to $20K. I am hoping a pellet insert is a supplemental heat source for the family room and would add ambiance.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#6)
Tough guy

July 30, 2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nudist
+1 on wood burning - pellet stoves make too much mess to be in a house.... think incinerator ash.
Nate,

Maybe i drank the koolaide but i have read that pellets burn very clean. Are u familiar with the newer high end units?

I read, "Compared with EPA-certified wood stoves that give off about 5 grams of particulates per hour, pellet stoves have very low particulate emissions, some far less than 1 gram per hour."
Unread
  (#7)
Typical Stripper

July 30, 2008, 08:28 AM

Hmmm.... guess not - the ones I have seen make some serious ash.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
TPG

July 30, 2008, 09:21 AM

they make a differant kind of ash, more powdery... Might burn cleaner than wood but... Your still lookin around $150-$200/month if you burn atleast a bag a day...

Also, You need a chimney for pellets don't you? I've never seen one with no pellets...
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Jaxxx  
Unread
  (#9)
Tough guy

July 30, 2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxx
they make a differant kind of ash, more powdery... Might burn cleaner than wood but... Your still lookin around $150-$200/month if you burn atleast a bag a day...

Also, You need a chimney for pellets don't you? I've never seen one with no pellets...
$150-$200/month = still a savings over straight propane.

I have a LP gas fireplace and they can supposedly pull that out and slide in the pellet insert and use the same exterior vent.