DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 220
3 members and 217 guests
Heist, MrDan, RRonin
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Personal Protection when riding....
Unread
  (#1)
Republicans for Voldemort

Personal Protection when riding.... - June 28, 2007, 02:48 PM

I have just wound up in a debate here a work... When I would do some distance riding - I used to carry a collaspable baton in my tank bag, but have pulled it as I was told there was a chance of being snagged for carring a concealed weapon..

Does anyone know what the laws are for Va and MD...

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#2)
Give me the Ban Button!

June 28, 2007, 02:49 PM

I have heard the same thing.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#3)
Nothing here

June 28, 2007, 02:52 PM

Just strap a tac rig on your thigh and ride with a handgun. VA has open carry laws, but you may get stopped and questioned. Still legal though.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#4)
I'm a Rookie, How do I Wheelie?

June 28, 2007, 02:58 PM

Last edited by jbowser12; November 15, 2013 at 10:08 PM..
Unread
  (#5)
Republicans for Voldemort

June 28, 2007, 03:22 PM

I am not worried so much about VA... But I live in the Peoples Republic of Maryland when it comes to personal weapons...

-Jason
DAMN Rider DAMN Rider

Maybe you have to be messed up... before you can step up!
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to hondahawkrider Send a message via AIM to hondahawkrider  
Unread
  (#6)
Site Admin

June 28, 2007, 04:31 PM

retractable baton is illegal in va. from what i heard.

carry pepper spray

Last edited by flipnduc; June 28, 2007 at 04:53 PM..
Unread
  (#7)
subUrban Warrior

June 28, 2007, 04:51 PM

I've never been attacked while riding my bike - anywhere. But I do carry personal protection of which I do not speak. I suggest you all do the same -- at least keep it off an open forum.

"I banged so many chicks last year my iPhone address book broke" - overheard at a Dover, DE bar
Unread
  (#8)
singin sweet home alabama

June 28, 2007, 05:04 PM

Protection while riding...

For the record, I carry pepper spray - hidden away in an easily reachable but unnoticeable location on my bike.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#9)
DCSB.net NC division

June 28, 2007, 05:07 PM

i always wanted to carry a broad sword or katana or some sort... but then i thought about if i were to wreck that might not be such a great idea.

'04 CBR1000RR and lots of Volvos (and now a new Tundra for hauling them around when they all break)
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via ICQ to boostdemon Send a message via Yahoo to boostdemon Send a message via AIM to boostdemon Send a message via MSN to boostdemon  
Unread
  (#10)
God of the Gaps

June 28, 2007, 06:30 PM

Where the fuck are you people riding? I've never worried about my safety on the bike, and I used to night ride in DC about every weekend when I lived closer.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
GP Champ

June 28, 2007, 06:33 PM

imho.. quicker to just haul ass than to go in a tank bag to get a weapon....
Unread
  (#12)
singin sweet home alabama

June 28, 2007, 07:51 PM

Depends, the need for security isn't always WHILE ON the bike... you might be off the bike or gearing up. I've felt at risk 2 times - I thought I was about to get jumped - and both times I had gotten on the bike and sped off while they were still talking... but its as close as I want to come to an altercation on a bike.

The more threatening of the two came one night in New Orleans as I was leaving a pool/sports bar - and I was approached by about 5 guys. At first they just ask "how fast will it go?" as they walk by and I reply "fast enough" with a smile. They go and stand by their car for a second, the doors are open and they're talking, and I can hear random things like "I got your back", mumble mumble "punk ass" and I get the distinct vibe that something bad is about to happen as they appear to be psyching each other up. I'm sitting on the bike getting my gloves on when they start to approach me again - one of them pretty quietly says "Hey bitch" - I don't respond. Then louder - "Hey bitch" - I don't respond again. "I know you hear me motherf..... I'm talking to you" (or something like that - this was about 4 years ago - only much louder this time). I skip securing my gloves and start the bike while he's talking and notice one of the group in my mirror, coming up behind me. I looked at the guy talking and sped off.

The way I see it, I was only a second or two from being jumped - getting pulled off the bike and beat down while someone rode off with it. If they had made it to me before I could take off what then? I figure having pepper spray would buy me a second or two to escape if it ever happened like that again. Reach down, pull the spray (which I can articulate while gloved) from my velcro strap - spray the immediate threats drop the spray and haul ass.

And honestly, you never know when something like that will come in handy - so I also have a large one in both my cars and my wife has a miniature one on her keychain. It is intended only to buy enough time to escape - used by surprise, not warning.

I have yet to feel the need to carry a gun... but I now own a Glock 27 - so if it comes to that I have a gun that is easy to carry.

I remember reading another story of someone on here who was basically attacked by a road raging driver who stepped out of his car at a stoplight on rt 7 in Sterling. In those situations - pepperspray would be good to have.

"No race has ever been won in the first corner, but plenty have been lost there."

Last edited by DvlsAdvc8; June 28, 2007 at 08:00 PM..
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via MSN to DvlsAdvc8  
Unread
  (#13)
Knarly Adventurer

June 28, 2007, 08:35 PM

You never know!
Similar situation as above happened to me. I was alone in a parking lot and not even close to my bike... staring down six drunk college football players looking to kick the shit out some body! Situation defused thanks to Sig Sauer.
99.9% of the time I am carring.
If it's to difficult to carry a firearm at the given time, I am usually concealing one, possibly two knives. Please don't let this added info change how you look at me.
I have always said, I rather be wrong then dead fucking right! Shit happens... no one wants to be a story on the news, and I rather be alive and get a lawyer then be dead.

Everytime you cook up...a little boy gets crushed by a bridge. -JTG40cal

2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC
2009 Scrambler SOLD
2007 ZX14 SOLD
2005 R1 SOLD
1999 ZRX SOLD
1996 FZR SOLD
Unread
  (#14)
Good Girl Gone Biker

June 28, 2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdemon
i always wanted to carry a broad sword or katana or some sort... but then i thought about if i were to wreck that might not be such a great idea.
I agree...wrecking with the world's sharpest knife strapped to your chest might not lend the best results.

Beatriz
BRG/W

QikEnuF: omg still talking. I regret my life.

yzfrone: and buell? ill chop my toes off and add it to my salad before I sit on one.

DarksideSW20: need varying degrees. beware of dog, beware of dangerous dog, beware of dog shooting bees out of its mouth...

NoVaGhost: Oops...bought a gixxer and the dumbassery set in quicker than i expected.... never made it home.

Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Coluchi Send a message via AIM to Coluchi Send a message via Skype™ to Coluchi 
Unread
  (#15)
Licensed Rider

June 28, 2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbowser12
Or you could just fill out the paperwork and get a CCW. Takes a little while for them to process the papers but it's not a big deal. Once the judge signs it, you're good to go.

Personally, i would just go the concealed route and have a CCW rather than open carry. I open carry when i go out in my jeep but to open carry in NOVA, i don't think so, perfectly legal but i don't want to catch a bunch of flack for no reason just because someone sees my HK .45 and freaks out.
Unfortunately in the People's Communist Repblic of Maryland, you can't get a CCW very easily. You have to prove an active threat against your life. They're not a Shall Issue state like VA.

BUT, you can apply for a Utah out of state and Florida out of state which should be good in VA.

Lt. Colonel Grossman - writes in his introduction to The Bulletproof Mind:

One Vietnam veteran, an old retired colonel, once said this to me: "Most of the people in our society are sheep. They are kind, gentle, productive creatures who can only hurt one another by accident."....

"Then there are the wolves," the old war veteran said, "and the wolves feed on the sheep without mercy." Do you believe there are wolves out there who will feed on the flock without mercy? You better believe it. There are evil men in this world and they are capable of evil deeds. The moment you forget that or pretend it is not so, you become a sheep. There is no safety in denial.

"Then there are sheepdogs," he went on, "and I'm a sheepdog. I live to protect the flock and confront the wolf."