DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 684
2 members and 682 guests
hokie, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Pet Peeve: Commuter Buses riding on fast lane I395 NB/SB mostly in NOVA... WHY?!!!
Unread
  (#1)
Cager

Pet Peeve: Commuter Buses riding on fast lane I395 NB/SB mostly in NOVA... WHY?!!! - March 18, 2016, 09:56 AM

Just as the title says:

Often on my morning and afternoon commute from DC to Fort Belvoir/vice versa, I run into those damn green coach/commuter buses riding and hogging the fast lane on NB/SB 395. Those buses usually travel at just 55-60 MPH creating a long line of cars behind them especially when there are other cars traveling at same speed or slower in the other lanes. They seem to not care and they do this every friggin time. Not sure what those buses are for but if you commute around this area, it is a sure thing you have seen those buses before. They are colored in green and white.

I am assuming that those drivers are trained to drive on the left (fast lane), then this brings to my question.. Why? What is wrong with the moderate speed on the middle lane?

I just feel that it is a safety hazard as I keep seeing bunch of drivers, including myself, try to speed up around the next lane and beat the bus so we can travel at a faster speeds on the fast lane. Mornings may not be too bad considering the traffic tend to be quite light as I go SB in the mornings, but in the afternoons when I go NB to DC, those buses are total pain in the ass because there are more cars on the road - the fast lane is very useful at this time of the day. This is getting old and I thought maybe if I could understand it better then I would accept it. This is why I am here asking you all DC gurus to tell me what is going on!

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#2)
GP Racer

March 18, 2016, 10:01 AM

They do this shit on 66 as well. I used to get worked up but 10 years later I've learned to not care. I would get in the fast land and just let off the gas until they moved in the middle lane to pass me then I'd speed up and they'd have to wait as cars screamed past in the left lane. Now I just pass when I can. Figured it was only 66 since the left lane is also HOV during certain hrs.

----------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaTorch7 View Post
So in summary you're a little bitch, nobody believes your bitchass about anything, you look like a bitch, you sound like a whiny bitch and you've probably been a bitch for a long time.

All I want to know, how old were you when you realized you were a bitch? or did someone else have to tell you?

The only thing you can Jocky is the keyboard, so why dont you stfu Bitch
Unread
  (#3)
Cager

March 18, 2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcslvr View Post
They do this shit on 66 as well. I used to get worked up but 10 years later I've learned to not care. I would get in the fast land and just let off the gas until they moved in the middle lane to pass me then I'd speed up and they'd have to wait as cars screamed past in the left lane. Now I just pass when I can. Figured it was only 66 since the left lane is also HOV during certain hrs.
Wow... If it was a 2 lane road, I may have been more understanding, but let me tell you they do the same damn thing on 395 when there are 3 lanes!

I wont lie, my first few times going around those buses, I flipped my bird. Now I have gotten over it and I just blow by the buses when I have the opportunity to, but a lot of times in the afternoon I sit behind one of those buses with other cars all the way from Springfield to Arlington area where the traffic clears up a bit. Not much I can do about it.

-J. Beaver
--bike-less for now
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

March 18, 2016, 10:53 AM

Buses of all kinds use the left lane on 270 as well.
Unread
  (#5)
opossum puncher

March 18, 2016, 11:10 AM

They do it on HOV as well. I think its for the occasional left exit since no one will let them over to the left, otherwise Id say trying to drive a bus in the middle lane would be to dangerous, considering the size and blind spots, and in the right lane with cars entering the highway/exiting again the danger and liability factor are too high. So safest route; left lane.

What really get my goat, is when on HOV and its just two lanes near DC and two buses will be side by side going 50 in a 65, causing massive backups.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#6)
Groping is a skill...

March 18, 2016, 12:20 PM

It's easier to take out a busses mirror. Just sayin'

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#7)
no one's blowing up moons

March 18, 2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
They do it on HOV as well. I think its for the occasional left exit since no one will let them over to the left, otherwise Id say trying to drive a bus in the middle lane would be to dangerous, considering the size and blind spots, and in the right lane with cars entering the highway/exiting again the danger and liability factor are too high. So safest route; left lane.
Or they all could just learn to drive better. ( Doing the speed limit in the right lane is the safest (and most boring) driving I've done in decades.)

On the highways those buses are bad and in town they're even worse. Ex: Turning right into the left of three lanes (like turning onto 7th St going N from Independence Av). Cops don't ticket for it anymore so no one remembers that it's illegal and/or that it's illegal because it's dangerous. Those commuter buses are some of the most ignorant and/or aggressive drivers I've ever seen, in or out of the city.

Physics always wins

. . . . so get that helmet cam! . . . . . . Because the D-K Effect is an STD .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
This is what happens when weak minded adults allow children to make decisions. You get stupid shit like this.
unintentional accidental

DISCLAIMER: Yes, I am socially disabled so some things do need to be explained to me.

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville - I love that fucking bike . . . . Om nom nom nom . . .-Fitz
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010

http://flexyourrights.org/
Unread
  (#8)
GP Champ

March 18, 2016, 01:25 PM

Subscribed

Gemini Motorcycles (Sterling, VA)
www.GeminiMotorcycles.com
ZX14: 243 mph
ZX12: 229.6 mph
ZX10: 202.8 mph

ZX9: 177.6 mph
ZX6R: 180.8 mph
Ninja 650: 130.7 mph
Ninja 400: 123.5 mph

EX300: 114.7 mph
EX250: 122.4 mph
Unread
  (#9)
opossum puncher

March 18, 2016, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lam@dcsf View Post
On the highways those buses are bad and in town they're even worse. Ex: Turning right into the left of three lanes (like turning onto 7th St going N from Independence Av). Cops don't ticket for it anymore so no one remembers that it's illegal and/or that it's illegal because it's dangerous. Those commuter buses are some of the most ignorant and/or aggressive drivers I've ever seen, in or out of the city.
Not gonna argue that, when the weather is really bad, or I need to suit it up I take the PRTC commuter, and the shit Ive seen those drivers do is nuts.

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool