DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 532
1 members and 531 guests
davidcycle
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Photo Exposure Cheat Sheet - Nikon D100
Unread
  (#1)
B
It goes to 11.

Photo Exposure Cheat Sheet - Nikon D100 - July 3, 2008, 02:28 PM

I have a D100 with a 70-300 lense.

I will be taking pics of the races this weekend and wondered if anyone can offer some settings they've used for the Nikons. I've been meaning to get a cheat sheet for a baseline to start from and play with it from there, but simply haven't had the time.

Or does someone have access to a cheat sheet online I can print off?

Thanks a ton.

Benjamin

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#2)
Ballaugh Bridge

July 3, 2008, 02:35 PM

Sports/Action automatic setting

'08 MARRC Expert Racer of the Year
2009 #3 Combined Overall Championship

Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
Now with a TBSP of love

July 3, 2008, 02:54 PM

http://www.dphoto.us/forum/showthread.php?t=6837

read Lee's and MatP's entries

This might help, too.

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/image/41450051
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Spiritnblk  
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

July 3, 2008, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVbadguy
Sports/Action automatic setting
Im not getting the depth of field I'd like from that, so I wanted to try something more manual and try to play with the aperature a little. Should I just read off the S/A auto settings and run with those?

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#5)
BE ENCOURAGED!

July 3, 2008, 03:25 PM

Ben. The best advice I can offer you is to find one of out there that has a little bit of experience and let us show you some settings. I just know how it is supposed to look. I have trouble giving you settings advice exactly. Every turn is different for me. I have just done it long enough now that I just kinda know what it is suppsed to read when I see it, if that makes sense. I will be shooting pics Sat & Sun. I will help if you ask me.

FOREVER #47 "Walking In The Echo...."
Are you a 'Secret Believer"? Do you Conceal your faith from your family, friends and co-workers? Isn't it about time to step out of hiding and let others know whom you follow?
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to GUZZ Send a message via Skype™ to GUZZ 
Unread
  (#6)
B
It goes to 11.

July 3, 2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUZZLER
Ben. The best advice I can offer you is to find one of out there that has a little bit of experience and let us show you some settings. I just know how it is supposed to look. I have trouble giving you settings advice exactly. Every turn is different for me. I have just done it long enough now that I just kinda know what it is suppsed to read when I see it, if that makes sense. I will be shooting pics Sat & Sun. I will help if you ask me.
I will find you and post up. If you don't mind me following you around a bit.

I have the highest reguard for your pics. If I can get mine even close to your quality I'll be quite pleased.

See you there Guzz, thanks!

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#7)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 3, 2008, 03:58 PM

Im going to be there on saturday also i think. I might have to bring the camera with

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs  
Unread
  (#8)
.RJ
Project Mayhem

July 4, 2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB
Im not getting the depth of field I'd like from that, so I wanted to try something more manual and try to play with the aperature a little
What are you trying to get out of the pictures?

Shooting on track I nearly always shoot in 'shutter priority' and drop the shutter speed down to 1/125 or 1/160 to give the bikes some sense of motion against the background. If you want to shoot at a lower aperture you'll end up with a much faster shutter speed and it can 'freeze' the bikes. This is ok if they are coming at you when you cant see any motion from the wheels, etc and with bikes it still works out ok given the rider position, lean, etc - there's still 'action'.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to .RJ  
Unread
  (#9)
GP Champ

July 4, 2008, 04:04 PM

stick it in program mode and be done with it. If you want, put it in Manual and mess around with different aperture and shutter speeds. Depending on the sun and cloud cover you'll come up with some stuff you may or may not like. Shutter speed is all about the motion of the bike and the background. I always like to see some blur in the wheels and the background blurry and then the bike in focus.

Katie 135
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to Brooks  
Unread
  (#10)
GP Champ

July 4, 2008, 07:02 PM

Don't listen to people telling you to stick with program mode. That is a sure way to make sure none of your action shots come out. Instead, either use Aperture priority or Shutter priority. Personally, I use shutter priority set at range of 1/160 to 1/250 sometimes higher... Of course a lot of it also depends on lighting conditions... Set the camera to show you the histogram after each photo is taken and use exposure compensation if you are blowing highlights, for example.

If I was in your shoes, assuming your lens doesn't have IS, I would start with 1/250 shutter priority.

Don't be afraid to mess around with settings. If you stick with one setting, it guarantees that all your photos come out decent, or all of them come our horrible. (I've been on both ends) If you play around with settings, at least you have a chance of capturing some good photos. Ideally, if you have a laptop, bring it, and check your results half way and see which settings worked best.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#11)
Give me the Ban Button!

July 4, 2008, 11:39 PM

I know that Kirstin typed up a sheet of sorts that breaks everything down and is written so that the average person can make sense of it all and get a great understanding of the different settings and what they will do for you. You should hit her up and have her send it to you.

MY SPELLING SUCKS....DEAL WITH IT

MyCanikon.net A place to hang out if you are interested in talking photography.
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Nubbs Send a message via AIM to Nubbs