DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 577
2 members and 575 guests
davidcycle, legendindisguise
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Pioneering member of Tuskegee Airman dies at 87
Unread
  (#1)
Tough guy

Pioneering member of Tuskegee Airman dies at 87 - June 26, 2008, 08:54 PM

RIP Granddad

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5h5xE8lNtVGd00CanyAVwDlVjxD4wD91I0G880

ATLANTA (AP) Lt. Col. Charles "Chuck" Dryden, one of the first of the pioneering black World War II pilots known as the Tuskegee Airmen, has died. He was 87.
Dryden died Tuesday in Atlanta of natural causes, said Roger Neal, a spokesman for the National Museum of Patriotism in Atlanta. Dryden was on the museum's board of directors.
"He was not just a part of American history; he helped to make it," museum founder Nick Snider said Thursday.
Dryden's 21-year military career included combat missions in Korea and assignments in Japan, Germany and U.S. bases. He retired from the Air Force in 1962.
About 1,000 pilots trained as a segregated Army Air Corps unit at the Tuskegee Army Flying School in Alabama during World War II.
Dryden was selected for aviation cadet training at Tuskegee in August 1941, only a month after the program began and four months before the U.S. entered World War II.
He was one of three men commissioned in April 1942 as a second lieutenant. Just five pilots had earned their wings in the program ahead of Dryden's class of three.
Dryden was a member of the famed 99th Pursuit Squadron and later the 332nd Fighter Group, which served in North Africa and Italy.
His P-40 airplane was nicknamed "A-Train," and Dryden titled his autobiography "A-Train: Memoirs of a Tuskegee Airman." It was published by the University of Alabama Press in 1997.
Last year, President Bush and Congress awarded the Tuskegee Airmen the Congressional Gold Medal. Some 300 surviving airmen including Dryden gathered in Washington for the ceremony in March 2007.
While attending the Washington gathering, Dryden told The Associated Press that he had mixed feelings about the event, since it came so many years after the war. But he added that the medal helped convince him that the country does recognize the airmen's contributions.
"It's really something," he said.
He recalled that after returning from his overseas service, he was stationed in Walterboro, S.C., where he saw German prisoners of war get privileges in theaters and cafeterias that were denied to black soldiers.
Dryden was born in 1920 in New York City to Jamaican parents. He earned a bachelor's degree in political science from Hofstra University and a master's degree in public law and government from Columbia University.
In 1998, Dryden was inducted into the Georgia Aviation Hall of Fame. He was also a professor of air science at Howard University.
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#2)
Railing!

June 26, 2008, 09:10 PM

He was your grandfather??? Wow. Those guys were the real deal, despite the BS they had to put up with. We all owe them a debt of gratitude!!
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
GP Racer

June 26, 2008, 10:03 PM

RIP

I remember seeing the Tuskegee reference in your avatar. That's pretty cool having a grandfather who was groundbreaking like that. Now that's a patriot. Took guts to fight for his country when that same country either ignored him or, worse, considered him inferior based solely on pigmentation.

My condolences to you and your family.
Unread
  (#4)
GP Champ

June 26, 2008, 10:28 PM

RIP. My condolences to you and your family as well Cam.

Straigten up and fly right.

Tony

'12 Ducati Streetfighter 848
'08 Ducati Hypermotard

Bam Bam #47 9.11.09
Jeff Vega 10.06.09
Totnac 4.30.14
forever... Ride on my brothers
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RacerX2050 Send a message via MSN to RacerX2050  
Unread
  (#5)

June 27, 2008, 06:58 AM

RIP

Sorry to hear about this Cam. I'm glad he had the opportunity to share his experiences with you.

Condolences to you and your family.
Unread
  (#6)
Honkey Kong

June 27, 2008, 07:07 AM

I and mine send our sincerest condolences, Cam. My grandfather's brother (who I'm named after) was a navigator on a B-17. Your grandfather's unit was a big part of the reason he got home from the war. He's passed on, but allow me to pass along the gratitude I know he felt toward the fighters who risked (and frequently lost) their lives protecting him on his missions.

--
"Relatively speaking, there are right views and wrong views. When we look deeply we see that all views are wrong."--Thich Naht Hanh

gewalker@gmail.com | Twitter: @gewalker

2007 SV650N
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to M0nk3y  
Unread
  (#7)
Railing!

June 27, 2008, 08:38 AM

Sorry to hear about this Cam. You and your family are in our prayers.

RIP
Unread
  (#8)
The last urrbendah

June 27, 2008, 08:45 AM

RIP sir. It's a damn shame to see our WWII vets passing on but such is life. Their immeasurable contributions will never be forgotten.

13 KTM 200 XC-W
15 KTM 350 XC-F

I might have a dirt bike problem.
Unread
  (#9)
Officially Addicted to Posting

June 27, 2008, 09:57 AM

RIP Lt. Col. Dryden. Cam, I am sorry to hear about your grandfather. He sounds like a great man.

**This story has some more detail and some pictures.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/met...yden_obit.html

Last edited by rddy; June 27, 2008 at 10:02 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to rddy  
Unread
  (#10)
Tough guy

June 27, 2008, 10:36 AM

Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts, and prayers! "The Col." has touched many and will be greatly missed!
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to CamDLux Send a message via MSN to CamDLux Send a message via Skype™ to CamDLux 
Unread
  (#11)
Nubbs ban yourself!

June 27, 2008, 10:57 AM

I bought a model plane that they flew because I wanted people to ask about it so I could tell the story of these great Americans.
I am sorry for your loss.

To punish and enslave!
2003 GSXR1K
2008 HD Night Train
religion is just a misspelling of superstition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi
Once again I forgive you for your self-righteousness, bigotry and prejudice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillie View Post
I'll also thank them for proving that you don't need the force to get a woman to make you a sammich.
"They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security."
-Benjamin Franklin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYpOF...embedded#at=36
http://www.bachbio.com/gunsavelives.htm
Unread
  (#12)
Tough guy

June 27, 2008, 09:58 PM

NBC Nightly News Coverage
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25401275/from/ET/
Unread
  (#13)
Got Any Gwapes?

June 28, 2008, 07:05 AM

Holy Shit :O...your Grandfather was "A-Train" ? He was very well known, obviously, and featured in the movie. I'm sorry for your loss, Cam. Guys like your grandfather and his peers don't come along too often anymore.

"I didn't know they gave out rings at the Holocaust"

*GODFATHER*
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to boomboom929  
Unread
  (#14)
Tough guy

June 28, 2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomboom929
Holy Shit :O...your Grandfather was "A-Train" ? He was very well known, obviously, and featured in the movie. I'm sorry for your loss, Cam. Guys like your grandfather and his peers don't come along too often anymore.
Yep the Tuskegee Airmen were 'da sit! Yes - The one and only "A-Train"! Cuba Gooding Jr. played Billy "A-Train" Roberts in the movie (a combo of several airmen to make the "doc-drama" character). In the movie Billy "A-Train" Roberts got shot down and killed but, fortunately Granddad lived a long and amazing life!http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114745/

Rumor is George Lucas is going into production for an upcoming movie - "The Red Tails" based on these heros.
Unread
  (#15)
1 of DA PAK FOUNDERS!!

June 28, 2008, 08:21 AM

RIP

R1 , 2001
Gixxer 2005
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to Chico Send a message via AIM to Chico