DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 869
5 members and 864 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, nootherids, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Pitt Bull attack
Unread
  (#1)
Ling Long

Pitt Bull attack - June 1, 2007, 12:40 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL1tr...5%2D46ee%2Db69

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#2)
Eddie would go ...

June 1, 2007, 12:50 PM

Good point. Its not the dogs...its the owners. Breed doesn't matter, owners turn dogs bad and give them the bad rep. Michael Vick is not helping either...

This deranged cow only got 6 months, the dog is NOT to blame...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djjcm...elated&search=

If she set that dog on my daughter (the 7yr old landlord's daughter..), she would have gotten a lto more than 6 months...

btw love her mumu...is it from REI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud View Post
No one gives a fuck about your puff out your chest bravado.

Last edited by Dutch; June 1, 2007 at 12:52 PM..
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
B
It goes to 11.

June 1, 2007, 01:07 PM

Interesting statistic.

Rottweilers and Pit Bulls were involved in 60 percent of the 27 dog bite fatalities that occurred in 1997 and 1998.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#4)
Eddie would go ...

June 1, 2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
Interesting statistic.

Rottweilers and Pit Bulls were involved in 60 percent of the 27 dog bite fatalities that occurred in 1997 and 1998.
I bet there is a strong corrolation to the type of owners certain breeds attract. Somehow Golden Retrievers are never at the top of the list....

Quote:
Unread
  (#5)
Jake's Mom

June 1, 2007, 01:12 PM

awesome video!!!

2005 R6 - Track
2012 BMW S1000RR - Street
Ride Like A Girl Racing
Diva Rydaz
R.I.P. Wayne aka Godson
R.I.P. Sue Miller
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#6)
Ling Long

June 1, 2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I bet there is a strong corrolation to the type of owners certain breeds attract. Somehow Golden Retrievers are never at the top of the list....
That's not true. Golden Retrievers, Labs and Dalmations -=are=- at the top of the lists.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to YaoMatt Send a message via AIM to YaoMatt Send a message via MSN to YaoMatt  
Unread
  (#7)
B
It goes to 11.

June 1, 2007, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
I think that's true. I also think certain breeds are predisposed to behaviors. That's the reason why guard dogs are generally rottweilers, dobermans, or shepherds. Also certain breeds of dog are predisposed to bite (German shepherds) where others are predisposed to actually maim or kill (rottweilers and pitbulls).

I love pitbulls. A lot of people who shouldn't have a dog of it's nature do.

Interesting fact: In the United States, pit bulls make up one to three per cent of the overall dog population and cause more than 50 per cent of serious attacks.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Unread
  (#8)
Spectroscopist/adventurer

June 1, 2007, 01:22 PM

I SUMMON MICHAEL VICK!

Spaceballs is one dumb ass movie. I'm surprised I had to tell you that.
Unread
  (#9)
Eddie would go ...

June 1, 2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaoMatt
That's not true. Golden Retrievers, Labs and Dalmations -=are=- at the top of the lists.
I actually meant bad owners...no one gets a Golden Retriever to go with the Escalade with Dubs and hang a chain on its neck and show off bad ass Fluffy...

but...google says they are not inthe list that causes 74% of the attacks of this study...hardly top of the list. Perhaps you mean volume..and yes there are tons more labs than pb's...logical there would be more bites. Weight the averages...

The breeds you named...Golden, Lab and Dal..scored a max of 26 (the lab) in this study pb's came in at 1100...

The dogs that are most responsible

Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People, has conducted an unusually detailed study of dog bites from 1982 to the present. (Clifton, Dog attack deaths and maimings, U.S. & Canada, September 1982 to November 13, 2006; click here to read it.) The Clifton study show the number of serious canine-inflicted injuries by breed. The author's observations about the breeds and generally how to deal with the dangerous dog problem are enlightening.
According to the Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings. In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question. Clifton states:
If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.
Clifton's opinions are as interesting as his statistics. For example, he says, "Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

Quote:

Last edited by Dutch; June 1, 2007 at 01:27 PM..
Unread
  (#10)
Ling Long

June 1, 2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrben
others are predisposed to actually maim or kill (rottweilers and pitbulls).
Where do you get this information? Rottweilers were Roman herding dogs for cattle and sheep that came from ther German village of Rottweil... hence the name?

Pitt Bulls on the other hand were a mix of bull terriers and other terrier breeds for dog fights in England and Ireland.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#11)
B
It goes to 11.

June 1, 2007, 01:28 PM

Matt, these statistics are all over the interwebs... I think Dutch took care of the light work though. See above your post. Basically what Dutch's post means is that cute pictures of babies lying with sweet pitbulls is all good and well, but where a poodle/shepherd/dalmation would snap or bite in a "bad moment", a pitbull will maim and even kill. That is thier disposition, it's fact based in multiple long term studies on bite statistics. Not that I think they are "bad dogs", just tempermental, and should be treated as such. Making them out to be a big loveable teddy bear with misleading horrifying video titles followed by huggy bed pics is not fully accurate.

http://www.dogexpert.com/Dog%20Bite%...tatistics.html

SV650s for SALE!!!

Last edited by B; June 1, 2007 at 01:32 PM..
Unread
  (#12)
Ling Long

June 1, 2007, 01:32 PM

I was talking in regard to Rotts being bred to maim and kill. They were bred as a working dog.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

June 1, 2007, 01:33 PM

Predisposition vs. breeding

Apples and Oranges. Shepherds account for some of the highest number of bites per breed, despite thier breeding.

SV650s for SALE!!!

Unread
  (#14)
Ling Long

June 1, 2007, 01:44 PM

There's several facts in what you just posted that speak mounds:

Quote:
Dogs that are licensed with an identifiable owner are implicated in the vast majority of dog bites (compared with strays).

This kind of alludes to the fact that owner handling plays deeply into the temperment of the dog.

Quote:
Mixed breeds and not pure bred dogs are the type of dog most often involved in inflicting bites to people. The pure-bred dogs most often involved are German shepherds and Chow chows.

Quote:
The list of breeds most involved in both bite injuries and fatalities changes from year to year and from one area of the country to another, depending on the popularity of the breed.

Quote:
Of the 27 people who died as a result of dog bite attacks in 1997 and 1998, 67% involved unrestrained dogs on the owner's property; 19% involved unrestrained dogs off the owner's property; 11% involved restrained dogs on the owner's property; and 4% involved a restrained dog off the owner's property.

Unrestrained dogs on the owners property. There's no real staistic here, but it would be safe to say that a portion of that are from guard dogs who believe they are defending their family against intruders.

But back to the point: The way you TREAT the animal plays into how it acts. Don't mistreat a dog physically, verbally or emotionally (IE neglect) and ensure it recieves training and you'll most likely have a happy, functional pet and not a viscious liability.

U
C
Lots of
Asians
Unread
  (#15)
B
It goes to 11.

June 1, 2007, 01:51 PM

There's a lot of hype surrounding Pits. Some because they (deservedly) can be a relentlessly vicious breed, one of the few known to not only bite or snap, but facially maim and kill a person. Some because the machisimo that surrounds them lends a confrontational attitude to the owner and pet.

A lot of it is disposition, some dogs are simply predisposed to REALLY hurting someone (a Rott or a Pitbull). Remember that if you own, or are around one. A shepherd might snap at you, a pitt might try to tear your arm off or take half your face.

SV650s for SALE!!!