DCSportbikes.net  
» Help Support .NET!
DCSportbikes Premier Membership for 25$ per year. Discounts! Click here for full information.

Now available in the .NET Shop:

Get your DCSBN Gear!
» Shoutbox
Sorry, only registered users have the ability to use our real-time shoutbox to chat with other members.

Register now, it's free!
» Online Users: 835
4 members and 831 guests
2blueyam, CrazyMotorcycleGuy, GRN96WS6, tonetone
Most users ever online was 4,519, September 2, 2015 at 03:26 AM.
Go Back   DCSportbikes.net > Non-Sportbike Forums > Non-Sportbike Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools
pitting car dealerships against each other
Unread
  (#1)
opossum puncher

pitting car dealerships against each other - February 17, 2009, 11:36 AM

Whats the best way to go about this?

Ive found a car I want and found 4 dealerships that have a similar trimmed model, its an 08, Ive called the others and asked if they will do X OTD, waiting on a few responses now, I assume they will come close, but try to stay above that.

What can I do to ensure I get the price I want?

We are going to be paying with an "Auto Bank Draft" ie a blank check from a Credit Union.

Brad

-
Attack Life! It's going to kill you anyway.

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to zx6rfool  
Unread
  (#2)
Typical Stripper

February 17, 2009, 11:42 AM

Get a couple quotes and tell them were you need to be OTD.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
  Facebook Page Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#3)
opossum puncher

February 17, 2009, 11:44 AM

Trying, now some are asking where the others are. Should I tell them, cause I want them to go 1-2K lower...

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#4)
B
It goes to 11.

February 17, 2009, 11:44 AM

It's hard to pit them against each other, you have to pit them against a number, really. And when you have that number you need to take it elsewhere and see if they can beat it.

These are my rules for buying vehicles (bikes or cars):
- ALWAYS be willing to walk away, most callbacks are when you'll get your number, not at the dealership
- Try to visit three dealerships for any given car model
- When talking price ALWAYS speak in terms of OTD
- Make them give you a number, but printing stuff off of Cars.com is a great place to start, bring those sheets with you when shopping
- If you wait long enough, a deal WILL come, when a deal comes it will NOT last long - I define a deal as the ability to flip the vehicle the next day and break even or make profit.
- Go at the end of the month

Hit up cars.com, see what's selling, and what you like. Print out the better deals, and bring them with you. Buying cars is like cooking, you need to apply the proper amount of heat and time to get it just right.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.

Last edited by B; February 17, 2009 at 11:56 AM..
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#5)
Typical Stripper

February 17, 2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rfool View Post
Trying, now some are asking where the others are. Should I tell them, cause I want them to go 1-2K lower...
Are you trading a car in?

Also - be sure each place is offering you the same incentives - if you are financing on your own, you can often find a different level or "cash" incentive because they aren't hooking you with a super low APR.

Nate CCS/ASRA #29 - www.nudebikesracing.com - 2012 MARRC AM Racer of the Year

Ticket2Speed, RnR Cycles, Twin Works Factory, Scorpion Helmets, Pro Speed Racing Apparel, Vortex, DC-Moto.net/Amsoil, Dunlop, Sharkskinz, DCSportbikes.net
Unread
  (#6)
GP Racer

February 17, 2009, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Don't give them too much info. They want your business more then you want the car. Just have them come to an amount you're comfortable with.

-RRaj
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRaj  
Unread
  (#7)
I hate Hybrid drivers

February 17, 2009, 11:49 AM

Don't tell them what the others are offering. You want their bottom OTD price. Make them really work for it.

I know an old man that walked away from a car because of $0.04. He wanted his monthly payment to be under $xxx.00, they got it to $xxx.04. He walked away.
  Send a message via AIM to  
Unread
  (#8)
opossum puncher

February 17, 2009, 11:51 AM

All incentives are about the same its a new left over 08. Im asking for a hell of a deal, and Ive got several dealers, 3 currently one couldnt hang, just above what Im asking, I have talked with two of the 3 only by phone and email, the third I went, saw, test drove, negotiated and walked out, they brought me the floor manager, and the sales manager.

The store manager called late yesterday wanting to talk.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#9)
TPG - screw face

February 17, 2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixrB View Post
It's hard to pit them against each other, you have to pit them against a number, really. And when you have that number you need to take it elsewhere and see if they can beat it.

These are my rules for buying vehicles (bikes or cars):
- ALWAYS be willing to walk away, most callbacks are when you'll get your number, not at the dealership
- Try to visit three dealerships for any given car model
- When talking price ALWAYS speak in terms of OTD
- Make them give you a number, but printing stuff off of Cars.com is a great place to start, bring those sheets with you when shopping
- If you wait long enough, a deal WILL come, when a deal comes it will NOT last long - I define a deal as the ability to flip the vehicle the next day and break even or make profit.

Hit up cars.com, see what's selling, and what you like. Print out the better deals, and bring them with you. Buying cars is like cooking, you need to apply the proper amount of heat and time to get it just right.
Unread
  (#10)
GP Racer

February 17, 2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
All incentives are about the same its a new left over 08. Im asking for a hell of a deal, and Ive got several dealers, 3 currently one couldnt hang, just above what Im asking, I have talked with two of the 3 only by phone and email, the third I went, saw, test drove, negotiated and walked out, they brought me the floor manager, and the sales manager.

The store manager called late yesterday wanting to talk.

They always bring out all kinds of managers and bring out fake invoices and all that crap just to make you feel like you're asking for too much. They just want you to pay more. Stay firm with what you think is comfortable.

-RRaj
  MySpace.com Page Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to RRaj  
Unread
  (#11)
opossum puncher

February 17, 2009, 12:04 PM

There is comfortable and there is me being a greedy bastard.

I just want to make sure the # Im asking isnt soo far below that they are thinking fuck it we will keep the car in inventory and sell it in a month for 3K more.

My hope is that its an 08, so its sitting, these are the fully loaded models, so Im hoping that is not what most people are looking for, Im hoping they will want to scoop the base model for a bit less.

-

08 Z1000

Go Hokies!
Unread
  (#12)
Groping is a skill...

February 17, 2009, 12:04 PM

Most dealers will be reluctant to negotiate the price if they know you already have financing. Don't let them know that you will be giving them a check from the bank. Negotiate the price, let them run your credit, and put together a financing option for you. They make a lot of money off of financing believe it or not. Once they have given you the low price that you're looking for probably with a mediocre apr then hit them up with your financing and paid it in full. It gets them everytime.

2015 KTM Super Duke 1290 R
2013 Victory Vision Tour
K7 Gixxer 600 - Track Only
RnR Cycles Touched & Tuned

I grope suckaz!!! -
Unread
  (#13)
B
It goes to 11.

February 17, 2009, 12:18 PM

I thought about that... the financing aspect... I decided to say nothing because, depending on what type of vehicle you are buying the dealerships are still motivated to sell. The fact that you HAVE financing is motivation to get cars off the lot. It could work either way. Traditionally you wouldn't want them to know you're already set for the loan.

As a rule don't offer any information you don't need to, except that will benefit you're position.

SV650s for SALE!!!
- 2007 SV650 Racebike-Superbike KWS/Thermosman suspension/Swenz bodywork/All GSXR Parts
- 2009 SV650 Streetbike Race blue with white stripe/No wrecks/fully faired with M4 full system

Shoot me a PM or talk to Nate (Nudist) if you're interested in purchase.
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via AIM to B  
Unread
  (#14)
Triple Secks

February 17, 2009, 12:29 PM

http://www.carbuyingtips.com/carintro.html

^Tons of information in that link. It's a lot to read, but very informative.

I believe i can see the future;
because everyday i repeat the
same routine.
Unread
  (#15)
need more knee down

February 17, 2009, 01:54 PM

i just set a specific price i wanted to pay and went to a dealer that would take it. Took me three tries before i scored.

I usally just tell the sales guy the price I want, wait 10 min, then leave if they are still playing with their numbers. They can call me if they want to finish a deal.

Trade in's make it alot harder because you are working two cars instead of one and they try to manipulate one just to gouge the other.

Get your numbers straight and just get it done
  Send a message via AIM to Send a message via Yahoo to LVegaJr Send a message via AIM to LVegaJr Send a message via Skype™ to LVegaJr